What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Bluewhale

Bluewhale Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've just started reading a book called 'Horrie, the War Dog' by Roland Perry. It's about a little dog found found starving in the Lybian sand dunes. He was adopted by Jim Moody who was serving with an Australian battalion. He served duty by warning the platoon of incoming enemy planes. He heard them 2 minutes before a human could. When Horrie ran for cover, so did all the gunners. This is not a spoiler as this is printed on the back cover. It's after the war that the real fight begins for Horrie ...

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

oh, I think I remember that case from the news
    His owner wanted to take him home and wasn't allowed to export the dog. IIRC it took him about a year of pulling strings, pestering officials and finally getting the media to help him make the case public till he finally got his dog out of the warzone.
    Right?

3. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got excited for a second, thinking that maybe you were reading Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman. I tried the Malazan books, but only made it through two of them.

I'm currently reading Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits

4. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The Everything Box by Richard Kadrey

5. Bluewhale

I don't remember it on the news but I'll do a search later to find out a bit more. His real problems started because they didn't get permission but they smuggled him home anyway. I won't tell you how it finished, although you probably know... It's worth reading I think.

6. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I think I'll finish Write It When I'm Gone tonight. I'm not sure what I'll read next. So many books, so little time... :D

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

today's read: some 20 GB of software. I'll move my domain to a new server with different specifications on Tuesday and had to check whether all the heavily modified boards I am hosting for my friends are fully compatible. (YAY! Looks like they are)

To prevent nightmares (or at least restrict them to heffalumps and woozles) my bedtime-book tonight will be The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh =)

8. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just finished All the Shah's Men, a teriffic account of the Anglo-American coup that derailed Iranian democracy to make the world safe for British petroleum. Next up is...Earthquakes in Human History, or The Turban for the Crown: the Iranian Revolution.

9. C. Cole-Chakotay

I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. I received the third book in the trilogy, The City of Mirrors, this week and am rereading the first two.

10. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Trek novel Elusive Salvation by Dayton Ward.

This is a sequel to the previous novel, From History's Shadow.

Bluewhale likes this.
  11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finished Dust and just started on The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons. Didn't want to read another Lawrence Block when I read one of his just two weeks ago but I fancied something fun and something I knew I could finish before I go away on holiday (with more books) in a week or so.

Bluewhale likes this.
  12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

After finishing The Geneva Strategy (A novel in Ludlum's Cover-One series), I'm moving on to Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden, the followup to Three Day Road.

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The Last Mile, by David Baldacci.

Just started Not in God's Name: Confronting Religious Violence, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.

14. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

15. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am downloading the Audible version of End of Watch by Stephen King, narrated by Will Patton. I hope I enjoy it as much as Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers.

16. C. Cole-Chakotay

I'm reading The City of Mirrors, book three in The Passage series.

17. Bluewhale

I'm about to start a book by John M Myers called, The Man Who Returned From The Dead. The teaser at the back describes it as a true story about a guy who is badly mauled by a bear. Two people in his group were paid to stay with him until he died. They become impatient and leave him, along with his supplies, his knife and his gun. The storyline starts from there...this book has been made into a movie titled, Revenant. I wondered whether anyone has seen this movie?

18. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I haven't seen Revenant but I have seen the 1971 movie Man in the Wilderness which is based on the same story. It stars Richard Harris though his character's name is Bass not Glass.

I enjoyed End of Watch and now I am listening to Ordeal by Jorn Lier Horst., narrated by Saul Reichlin. It is a Norwegian murder mystery and is the fifth book I have read by this author.

Bluewhale likes this.
  19. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Romeo and/or Juliet by Ryan North

20. Bluewhale

Thanks for info Miss Chicken. Now that you mention Richard Harris I remember seeing that movie - confused by the name, I usually like to read the book first. It seems I'll be seeing the old movie first, reading the book, then seeing the new movie. You seem to be a prolific reader Miss Chicken.