Was Threshold really that bad?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TiberiusK, Aug 3, 2007.

1. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

They seem to be fairly articulate, compassionate (and hopefully) funny in "On the Rocks" in Strange New Worlds V.

:)

--Ted

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Now that's a cheap plug.

:lol:

3. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

Threshold was mindbogglingly stupid and terrible and retarded and stupid. However, unlike other bad Voyager shows, you can watch it more than once and enjoy the sheer clusterfuckery of the whole thing. It's a guilty pleasure.

4. AlxxlA

AlxxlA Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have to agree with the science being bad, unfounded and generally stupid. However, it was fairly entertaining, almost in the same vein as Spock's Brain.

However, I would have expected that Tommy would have become extremely megalomaniacal, having been everywhere and everything in the universe, however briefly.

Also, I sometimes wonder what happens to the... Offspring. Do they eventually re-de-evolve into humanoids? Will they have philosophers? Are they going to think that "We arrived on this planet because some beloved radioactive mutant and his captain just left us here?"

One more thing: I thought that the very end was kind of weak. Kathy could at least have given Tom a peck on the cheek, or at the very most, Tom could pull her in for a deep French Kiss, then jump onto one of the Biobeds for a little post-salamander celebration.

5. KayArr

KayArr Commander Red Shirt

It was a Jump the Shark moment for me--I watched less and less of Voyager after that episode.

6. Tralis

Tralis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Warp 13 from TNG:AGT was confirmed by the writers to mean a recalibration of the warp scale. Going Warp 9.99995 would be too cumbersome and prone to error.

Let's summarize:
    On a ship with limited supplies in the middle of nowhere cut off from its native civilization a team consisting of no scientists comes up with a way to make a paradox real. Making this paradox real results in people turning into lizards, described as a form of evolution though natural selection plays no part as it is a metamorphosis rather than a genetic change in offspring. Then a computer program fixes the problem by injecting anti-protons, which magically doesn't result in a matter/anti-matter reaction (which would cause an enourmous explosion) but instead results in a metamorphosis back to the original form.

The team:
    The team that invented this technology consisted of a pilot who was in prison for the last few years, an engineer who has been fighting as an insurgent for the last few years, and a helmsman who has less personality than a potted plant, with inspiration from Nellix. None of these people are experts in warp theory. B'Elanna is the only one remotely beleivebly capable of advancing warp theory, but even so, her job isn't to invent the next big thing, its to keep a machine working. She hasn't been trained in research, she isn't up to date on the latest information, and the ship doesn't have the facilities of a research instituition. In real-world terms would the person in charge of maintaince on a nuclear reactor be likely to be the person to invent reliable fusion power? No. Starfleet probably has hundreds of people working on a way to increase propultion technology. People smarter, better trained, better equipped, and better situated to invent such technology than our klingon.

The Technology: Infinite Speed. Wow. Next you'll tell me you found the answer to x=x+7,solve for x. It's meaningless. Completely meaningless.

The Lizardification: After this it goes from sheer stupidity to something more in resemblance with an acid trip. I don't really see the corrolation between infinite velocity and DNA being fucked with. But hey, infinite velocity is a paradox, so why not throw all logic out the airlock?

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What's worse for me is that at the first sign of a problem they toss the technology and it's never mentioned again...

8. Cyclopean

Cyclopean Lieutenant Red Shirt

To the OP's question: Yes, it's really bad.

Worst ever or anything like that? I don't think so. It's completely, mind-numbingly stupid, but at least it's not boring (and that's saying something for VOY season 2.) It's also laugh-out-loud funny. Its incoherence is part of its charm.

9. Laren

Laren Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the ep is quite entertaining. Love the scene where Janeway asks the Doctor whether he can wake up Paris. And the Doc is like: "Of course!" *Lowers his mouth to Paris' ear. "Wake up, Mr. Paris!" :lol: