HD Remasters of 'Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2'Coming to the PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jefferiestubes8, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...xx-2-hd-remaster-announced-for-north-america/
    via
    HD Remasters of 'Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2' Coming to the PS3 and the PS Vita

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: HD Remasters of 'Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2'Coming to the

Final Fantasy X will forever remain my favorite game in the numbered FF series, and looks even more beautiful in HD than it did originally. This is one collection title that can't come out fast enough for me.

3. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While supporting X-2, however inadvertently, makes me feel nautious, I suppose I'm willing to deal with it to play FFX again. I've been wanting to replay it sometime, and being able to on my fancy new monitor will be nice.

4. DigificWriter

^ Although I've never had a chance to play X-2, I have to confess that, based on everything I've read and heard concerning the game, I find the amount of hate it seems to garner puzzling, as the story and game mechanics actually sound really cool, and I think it's neat that all 3 of your playable characters are girls because the FF series hasn't given us enough female protagonists, at least IMO.

5. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

^ You should play it (X-2) if you have a chance. It's probably my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time (although FF IV is pretty close).

6. RyuRoots

It hasn't, and if any of the three were done well, I'd be pleased. Paine is a poor man's Lulu, Yuna loses her development from X, and Rikku is a static, flanderized version of the character she was in X.

The story is lackluster and the world is changed in some incredibly stupid ways, New Yevon being the most egregious. To say nothing of the "best" ending being the worst possible thing the game could go for considering what it invalidates.

The gameplay actually was fairly fun, I'll give it that. It'd be nice if a new game used the job class system again. My only real complaint about the dress sphere system is how useless the "ultimate" ones were compared to the utility of the more mundane ones. From the perspective of playing a video game and ignoring the story and characters, I think it was a great bit of fun. But personally, story is what I go...well, what I *went* to an FF for.

7. DigificWriter

^ Hmm. Despite never having had an opportunity to play the game, what I've heard, read, and seen of the story actually makes it sound rather awesome. Then again, I count Final Fantasy VIII - which remains one of the few FF games to be a * love story * first and foremost above anythign else - as one of my Top 5 favorite games in the franchise, so it stands to reason that I'd be more keen on the game's storyline than others might given that it's basically set in motion because of the love story between Tidus and Yuna as centrally established in the first game.

What I've heard, read, and seen of Paine actually makes her sound like a really interesting character, and as for Yuna and Rikku, I actually think that the changes they undergo actually make sense, particularly given what happens in the first game and the ways that Spira has evolved and changed since those events, insofar as I understand said changes based on what I've read, seen, and heard concerning the game.

8. RyuRoots

FF8 is one of my favorites too. The plot twist about the memories was mind-bendingly stupid, but other than that I enjoy it immensely. If anything, my biggest issue with it is that they didn't cover everything I'd have liked for them too. Too ambitious for its time, perhaps. I don't mind a love story. X-2's story is just...not good. Not to me. If you enjoy it, more power to you.

As for the rest, I'm genuinely curious to hear your take once you've actually played the game.

9. DigificWriter

There are parts of FF8's story that are definitely convoluted, but what holds it together for me is the central love story, which is also one of the primary reasons why I love FF10 as much as I do (since it's very much like FF8 in that a love story makes up the central core of its narrative).

While we're on the subject of FF8 for a moment, I would love for that game to get an HD remake or remaster on the PS3 before studios stop producing content for the system, but it's probably a pipe dream and not very likely.

Getting back to discussion of the Ten series, the games really did give us one of the best casts in the franchise, and it's going to be extremely fun to either re-experience or experience them for the first time in HD.

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll share in the FFVIII love. My favourite game in the franchise. I just hope that X is Squenix dipping their toe in the water to see how FF remastered might fare. Hopefully if it does well enough then we might get more further down the line - VI, VII, VIII and IX would be awesome too. We can dream.....

11. RyuRoots

I'm honestly a little torn about the remaster trend. X does look a lot better, and having the international version as a base is really nice, but at the same time I'm frankly not sure I trust them to remake the older games. Though if they're JUST remasters without any of the modern stupidity retconned into them, I suppose I could get behind it. Their old games are sure as hell better than anything the FF series is doing currently.

I've been kind of happy that FF8 wasn't as popular as FF7 because I imagined that prevented it from being subjected to the same wave of awful, inane additions. I'm not really sure how HD'ifying a PS1 game would work short of redoing the graphics, but I also don't know anything about the process to begin with, so *shrug*

The love story in FF8 is...alright. I like for what it does, but it can be awkward if the player takes every attempt to be a dick to Rinoa and nice to Selphie. Squall is a great character though, and it's sad to see him entirely dismissed by so many. What holds it together for me is the cast. Like most games before it, it did a good job of making me care about most of the people involved, and the world was honestly pretty fascinating. Like I said before, I wish I got to see *more* of it. There's so much great lore...

12. Angel4576

I adored the characters in VIII - Squall, Rinoa, Selphie, Irvine, Zell, Seifer etc. Just adored them.

I miss the days of games taking 100+ hours to complete. Finished Mass Effect 1 today, taking 30 hours. Thought that was pretty good, until I loaded up my last FFVIII save on the PS3 and it clocked in at 80 hours and I hadn't even gotten on to the final disc yet.

In terms of remastering, I'd just be happy if they did that. No need for retconning or anything of the like. No tampering, no tinkering, just make it look great on a HDTV.

If they did go back and do something with the older games, I wonder if they'd be tempted to put vocal tracks on them.

13. DigificWriter

I imagine that if we were to get HD versions of the PS1 FF titles, they'd come with graphical overhauls rather than being simple remasters with the original graphics ported over and given an HD polish/finish.

14. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How many of those hours were monotonous levelling up though?

15. RyuRoots

Probably not that many, honestly.

Now, monotonous hours of drawing magic? That's another story.

16. Angel4576

I remember sinking 2/3 hours into getting the Tonberry GF.....

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Two words: Triple Triad.

:crazy:

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20-30 hours max. Any game that goes beyond that sweet spot is just filled to the brim with padding and forced level grinding. When I was a kid with way too much free time and no money I loved the idea of a long game, but as an adult with a full time job I don't feel like wasting an entire evening with some slow grind of a game without making any progress. At 5 hours a week it would take me about 4-5 months to finish the game. I want to play more than 2 or 3 games a year.

Also, FF VIII does not take 100 hours to beat. No JRPG has ever taken 100 hours to beat (maybe Dragon Quest VII). Unless you're leaving the system on overnight or you're addicted to Triple Triad I have no idea how you can rack up that many hours with the game. Spoony's review was funny as hell, but you really don't need to draw grind to beat the game.

EDIT TO ADD:

You know, despite saying that, I do tend to play a lot of long games. I am eagerly awaiting the Dragon Quest VII remake for the 3DS and I believe that's the longest JRPG ever made. I think I just prefer games to be shorter, but I'm not going to pass up a great game because it's long.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. Angel4576

My last PS3 save was at 80 hours, and I'm not onto Disc 4 yet. I did a fair amount of grinding, getting all the GFs etc, which seemed to take me an age. Triple Triad probably ate up a few hours, but not an excessive amount.

Granted, I do take my time, and do pretty much everything that I can do. I'm not in any particular rush to finish the game, that's why it's taken me over 12 months to beat it, I just keep going back to it and putting a few hours in every now and then.

For longevity, Xenoblade Chronicles was great - anywhere between 67 and 170 hours to complete, dependent on how thorough you were being. Can't wait for the sequal.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

AFAIK it is. At least it's the longest I've ever played, and I've played most of them. Even that, however, can be completed in the 60-80 range, probably even less if you keep the class grinding to a minimum.

I didn't even know there was going to be remake. I still haven't played DQVI (My favorite of the lot.) because my DS was stolen right before it came out, and I never bought another.