The First Poster for INTO DARKNESS Has Just Been Revealed...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by cooleddie74, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just an obsessive knowledge of sci-fi hardware. I've only ever seen that style of tall, egg-shaped helmet in about 3 modern sci-fi productions, so it was pretty easy to narrow it down.
    Cool! Where'd you find a large enough version of the original? That 640x480 pic I posted is the biggest that seems to be out there.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That certainly doesn't hurt.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Agreed with the Botany Bay not having nor needing any weaponry because of the early spacefaring era in which it was built and the nature of its design, but that's still an amazing pair of images. I think that the actual Botany Bay---if it appears in the new film at all---will look a little more like what we saw in the two different versions of "Space Seed" with a conning tower and the like to maintain continuity with the timeline before Nero changed it, but that's an awesome design. Love it!

4. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I'd got a plug-in for Photoshop called "Alien Skin Blowup" that I use to enlarge things like that. It actually converts it to a vector image, blows it up, and turns it back into a raster.

Still amazed you figured it out so quick. :)

-Ricky

5. MadMan1701A

True, Khan and his crew didn't design the ship, but wherever they got it, why couldn't it have had some armaments? I mean, it was built during wartime, so some country or organization might have had other uses for it, especially if there were enemy colonies or ships near Mars, or Jupiter?

It's going to be a retcon, anyway, right? I doubt they would leave the origin of Khan exactly the same, so why should the Botany Bay be any different. :)

One other thing... if they were just trying to get away, why would they have to pick a destination? What if the plan was just to head into deep space, in a random direction, and head back to Earth after years had passed?

Just thinking. :D

-Ricky

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There weren't. We're talking 1997, remember? Even in the Trek universe, there weren't any offworld colonies yet at that point. The Eugenics Wars were a strictly Earthbound conflict, so a vessel designed for extended interplanetary flights could only have been for civilian use. It's not like all civilian activity ceases to exist when there's a war on. The US has been fighting in Afghanistan for a decade now, but in that period we've managed to send a few probes to Mars and the asteroids, with another heading for Pluto.

And did you forget the part where it was a sleeper ship? Everybody onboard was in suspended animation. Who's gonna fire the weapons? Obviously a sleeper ship is not going to be a combat vessel.

"Going to be?" You're mistaking rumor for fact. We don't actually know who Cumberbatch is playing, but Simon Pegg has overtly stated that it's not Khan, and Karl Urban claimed at one point that it was Gary Mitchell.

I don't think that would be a very wise strategy. They left because they were beaten and outnumbered. Why would that be any different years or decades later?

Besides, it's not consistent with what Khan offered as the reason for their spaceflight: "A new life, a chance to build a world."

7. MadMan1701A

Hmm... IF they use Khan, what I was getting at is I really doubt they would keep the timeline the same. :) If they change it to 2097 or something, there certainly could be colonies out there.

As far as being a sleeper ship, not a combat vessel, you're absolutely correct about no one awake to fire the weapons while in flight. But, what about when they arrive at their destination? Defenseless ships are always getting in trouble in Sci-Fi :D

About coming back years later... it could have turned out just like it did on the Enterprise; they could have been gone long enough no one would remember who they were... They could have blended in, and slowly tried to build up more power. It probably would be easier to do that on Earth than on Enterprise...

-Ricky

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like how they all look older in this.

9. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

10. cooleddie74

Nice. Not too shabby.

I just wish Paramount would make with the real thing by now.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's free viral advertising. The longer they don't release anything official, the more the fanbase advertises the film for them.

12. cooleddie74

Maybe so. And who knows...the real actual teaser poster might not even be as good as most of the fakes we've seen.

It's happened.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The rocket boosters make it look less advanced than the original Botany Bay.