McWeeny has a theory about this movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Drew McWeeny, one-time "Moriarty" over at Ain't It Cool News, took the Into Darkness press tour over at Bad Robot yesterday.

He has a theory about what Abrams is doing with this movie.

You can read his report about the tour and his theory in its entirety here:

Link

Well gee, why should anyone care about one more piece of speculation by another fan journalist on the Internet?

No special reason except for this, published by the self-same writer in August of 2007:

Full article here.

Whatever else one thinks of him, McWeeny is a rarity on the net: instead of pretending he knows when he's just guessing, he sometimes pretends to be guessing when he's got real information.

We'll see. ;)

Some other interesting tidbits:

2. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll bet Peter Weller is Admiral Marcus. That could be a CEO type.

3. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

great write-up from a sharp journalist. thanks for sharing.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Now there's a point. Weller did say at one point that "I have my own ship."

5. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I have to say, I had my own B/S April theory yesterday without even seeing behind the scenes images. My B/S needs no explanation.

6. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The April theory makes some sense especially considering the writers already gone to TAS for parts of the first movie.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're both British, but I can't see Cumberbatch as Robert April, nor April having a BFG. Why? Orci and Kurtzman based their version of George Kirk on Diane Carey's, from her novels Final Frontier (no relation to STV) and Best Destiny - and in those books, Robert April was a pacifist. To the extent that when it came time to open fire on the Romulans, he chose to turn command of the Enterprise over to George rather than order the attack himself.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Orci and Kurtzman are not the only writers on this movie.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Yeah. They brought in Damon Lindelof to write the story as well. Jury is still out on whether or not that's a good thing.

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Given that it appears the villain suffered some sort of trauma (why else would he be bent on revenge?), he could have been a pacifist before, but isn't now.

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, "April's Gatling Gun" could always mean a design sketch for a Gatling Gun prop needed for filming in April. A timeframe just about within the shooting schedule, since they began in January and finished 4 or 5 months after.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm just glad they didn't name it Porthos' Gatling Gun...

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe John has a different gun for each month of the year. For variety. April's Gatling gun, May's rocket launcher etc :p

14. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, that sort of plays into my (admittedly far-fetched) theory over at the trailer-thread that somehow this whole movie ties into the Tarsus-massacre. I know it's not canon - but in the "Enterprise Logs" it was April in command of the Enterprise who got delayed by Klingons in bringing aid to Tarsus IV and so they arrived too late...

Of course, he can't be the captain of the Enterprise prior to Pike since the Enterprise was built later than in TOS, but he could have had command over another ship etc. And that could also explain the troubles with the Klingons... revenge against both, Klingons and Starfleet... OTOH, Cumberbatch (although he seems a bit bulkier and aged up) isn't old enough to be April - but he could still be a survivor, perhaps that guy with the eye patch that got killed by Karidian's daughter at the beginning of "The Conscience of the King".

15. ChristopherPike

I also find it funny they've got an actor called Joseph Gatt to play a similarly named android! GATT2000? Porky pies. :lol:

Now if anybody in this sequel were indeed playing Khan, I'd have put money on it being him...

He's got the hulking physical presence but at the same time, intelligent staring eyes.

Plus he's the one Brit they've cast, who could perhaps convince as a genetically engineered Sikh.

Which of course means, he's probably hidden under a helmet or lots of latex, playing a Klingon.

16. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

But he could still be Robert April's son ... John April.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

18. ChristopherPike

Cockney rhyming slang for lies. We're one people, separated by a common language. ;)

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I would love it if this was true. I really like the idea of Robert April, the benevolent elder Captain from the prime universe, being reimagined as a vengeance-crazed threat to the fleet in this timeline. Appeals to me much more than Khan, Mitchell or George Lennon (or whatever he's called).

20. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Could Robert April be played by Peter Weller?