So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'm pretty sure MasuPu'a modified the phrase intentionally, considering that he was talking about the Anita Blake series, which is known for becoming increasingly sexually explicit in the later books.

2. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know. But with LKH's books it became 'screw the shark' as the series derailed the moment the main character, Anita, began literally screwing everyone around her. It's kind of an in-joke with the Antis.

3. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Almost done with Mission Gamma Twilight, before I get into Mission Gamma #2 Im going to read Indistinguishable from Magic (which I got for Christmas!)

I hope everyone on here has a happy, healthy holiday and look forward to posting with you all in the new year :)

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Just about to start Vanguard: What Judgements Come since I got it this morning, after reading the 3 Ultimate trades I got.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Titan: Synthesis. Didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either - too heavy technically for me to find much relateable in the story.

Next up - Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I am afraid it's rather better than Zero Sum Game...

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've finished Rise Like Lions as well as my latest non-Trek book (which I'm not sure how I feel about, even now) and I'm not quite sure what to start on next. Surprisingly, I didn't get any books for Christmas. I may pull out one of Banks' Culture novels or a Discworld, and reread it.

8. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Warped Factors by Walter Koenig
    and To The Stars:The Autobiography of George Takei, Star Trek's Mr Sulu
    by George Takei

9. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Mass Effect: Ascension. I'm now reading Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished Paths of Disharmony last night. As a huge fan of the Andorians, and as someone who found their storyline in the DS9R really interesting, I really enjoyed the story. I actually went into this already knowing the big event in the end of the book, but I didn't know what exactly lead up to the event, or what it's aftermath was, so I was still able to get alot of enjoyment out of that part of the story. Reading this I couldn't help but think of current events, with the riots and protest in the books, and then all of the stuff going on in New York other cities over the past few months. My rating: 9/10.
    Right now I'm working on the Star Wars graphic novel Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand, and the last two stories of Vanguard: Declassified. I should be done with By the Emperor's Hand by the end of tonight most likely, and then I'll work on finishing up A Game of Thrones.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

What was the non-Trek book?

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The Athenian Murders, by José Somoza. A friend enjoyed it and gave it to me to read. I can't decide whether it was clever or trying to be too clever and overshot the mark. The annoying thing was that I couldn't really enjoy it because I was always unsure whether the disconcerting reactions I was having were the intent of the author, and so a sign of quality, or a failing on his part. I often had to wait until later points in the book to find out whether I was "supposed" to feel as I did, and so while a lot of it was quite clever, I'm not sure if it really did the book any favours. It became a book I had to decipher rather than enjoy, and that's fine if the book's really, really good, but while this one was clever enough I'm not sure it was quite that good, not enough to leave me fully satisfied when I'd finished.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished one of the Mission Gamma books last night. Currently, I've got Temple of the Gods by Andy McDermott on the go and am enjoying it so far.

After that, it's back to Mission Gamma (Cathedral)

14. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Im 200 pages away from finishing Mission Gamma book 1, did you just read book 2? How was it? After the one Im on, Im wondering if I need a break and read Indistinguishable from Magic instead.

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler during a very relaxing Christmas visit with my parents. I really liked it, it was a lot of fun.

Now I'm reading Rise Like Lions, which is my first time reading a Star Trek novel as an eBook. Next up will most likely be Republic Commando: Hard Contact.

16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was pretty decent. Indistinguishable is a good read too though.

17. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished The House of Silk yesterday. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I highly recommend it. Certainly one of the better pastiches I've read, and it lives up to the only-being-published-now-because-of-the-scandal-it-would-cause conceit rather well if you understand the Victorian mindset. Funnily enough, that makes it something that Conan Doyle probably wouldn't write, but I was able to believe that it was Watson writing about the real Sherlock Holmes.

As some reviews have put it, there is a touch of melancholy about it, since Watson discusses Holmes' death (no spoilers, it happens after his retirement to the Downs) and you get the feeling this is the last time he will ever write about an adventure he and Holmes shared. A very good book, and none of the references to Canonical stories or characters feel too "cutesy" or forced.

I don't know what I'm reading next. I got 11/22/63 for Christmas, but I also have The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes on hold from the library. Along with a couple other options...

18. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Blew through Zero Sum Game and moving right along to Seize the Fire. There were certainly elements of ZSG that I didn't care for, but overall I found it an enjoyable ride.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally finished By the Emperor's Hand last night, so now I'll get back to work of Game of Thrones.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eon by Greg Bear. Trying to make my way through the entire Masterworks series. We'll see. :D