TOS Revisited - New Revelations

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    lol! I see. I wonder if the story about Roddenberry showing up for a meeting with his police revolver on his hip came from that time?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if I've heard that story before. Sounds like a Roddenberry tall tale, but who knows.

3. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    You are most likely right about that! lol

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

If there's any truth to that it would have been when he was still daylighting as a cop and moonlighting as a TV writer.

5. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

Hadn't heard about that. Considering it was the sixties, just how badly did that go over? I know today a lot of people would pee their pants and panic over it, but in a movie / tv studio where actors are wearing prop guns all the time?

6. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Harlan Ellison tells a story of going in to pitch for a TV show and methodically disassembling a .45 pistol, reassembling it, cocking it, etc., as he pitched. He's mentioned it on air and in print a couple times, though I don't recall the program he was pitching to.

Sir Rhosis

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh yeah, here's my proof that I was there. Somehow I forgot to surrender my pass on the way out. Oops. ;)

[​IMG]
    Hmmm...that young writer feller needs to grow a beard!

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Cool. I've been on the Sony and Universal lots, but I've only driven past the Paramount gates.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The property may be owned by Sony Pictures, but it'll always be the MGM lot to an old-timer like me!

10. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know the TOS writer's intentions, but I always interpreted Uhura's flirtations as teasing the dog that's not expected to bite. (Kirk is another matter.) It was a challenge to see if she could get a rise out of Spock. Early TOS played Spock as emotionless. Later on it was established that Vulcans are extremely hot-blooded, but choose to follow a stoic philosophy.

As for the "Charlie X" scene, Spock looked like he was relaxing to the inevitable, learning to get along with his human shipmates. The rec lounge was shown as a place where rank didn't matter.

I didn't care for the TREK "reboots." Based on the TOS scenes, the "relationship" between Spock and Uhura is not unfounded, but I would not say it was "unmistakably foreshadowed." The new writers just decided it would be dramatic to have Spock throw tantrums and be all emotional. Shocker, like Spock crying in TMP.

So the "reboot" was true to Uhura's original character. Spock, not so much.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agreed to a point. TOS' Uhura wasn't a whiny bitch like the JJ version.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I love Saldana as Uhura. I just wish she'd been given better material to work with.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was pretty cold to her in Star Trek 2009, but she really grew on me in Star Trek Into Darkness. :techman:

14. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, how true that is about so many actors stuck in crap films.