College Football 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 28, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I missed that game. Can you elaborate?

2. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sabans tMcElwains playing sacrificial Lamb for his old boss and a million dollar payday for CSU

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

So there's some hope for Colorado State next week, then. :p

Yeah, there is that...:lol:

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Everybody in Oklahoma is mad at him for changing things.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Ummm, nope :D

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was a wild game between Alabama and A&M. I do verily wish the defense was a bit better, but even so I think we might've won that game if not for that interception in the end zone. Oh well, still plenty of season to make up for that loss, even if winning this one would've definitely put us in the top 3.

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume that's related to what was being discussed in this article from August 20th? Hmm. College students and alumni can be a bit testy when you start messing with whatever they call tradition. Admittedly, I've never seen OU's pregame, but from the article, I'm guessing that they view it along the same lines as Ohio State views their band's cursive "Ohio".

It's been 16 years since I marched at Georgia Tech, and some of the things we viewed as "traditional" don't make sense to me anymore. They were traditional.... why? "We've always done it!" :rolleyes: Okay, you generally don't mess with the colors or the mascot, but some things do need freshening up sometimes.

However, you *always* keep the alumni happy! :lol: If they like it and want to keep it, you keep it! And it sounds like the OU director ran straight into that mess.

At GT, one of the oddball traditions is the band plays Budweiser/"You've Said It All" at the end of the third quarter. The director decided at one point (before I got there) that the band wouldn't play it anymore, since it's alcohol-related, A-B didn't sponsor us, etc.... Apparently, he underestimated how much the students and alumni loved that song! That happened *once*. And the GT Band has been playing it ever since! :D

8. Maestro

Justin's problem is that he tried to replicate everything that people in the B1G like about Wisconsin. Overnight. With no regard for OU's traditions and no understanding of how the current Wisconsin Band developed over the past 45 years. At least, near as I can tell.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I could have written THIS, verbatim, in regards to last year's game. The loss ended with a heartbreaking interception in the end zone on what would have been the go-ahead touchdown, the defense was shredded, and Alabama dropped to #4 in the rankings.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

11. Kira's Mom

Meanie. :(

They'll put up a damned good fight! Even if they do get massacred. :lol:

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

SO can someone explain precisely what the officials were supposed to have done in this game between Ariz. St and Wisconsin? I understand how the Wisc QB did not really down the ball, since his knee did not touch the ground. Ergo, the ASU players interpreting that as a "fumble". Was it technically a fumble and therefore ASU's ball, or should the ball have been regarded down and possession remained with Wisconsin?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-wisconsin-asu-finish-20130916,0,3925620.post

13. tighr

Some of the blame is on the officials, some on the Wisconsin QB. What should have happened was after the ball is snapped, he runs to the center of the field and takes a knee (downing the ball). His offensive line should then immediately reset for a spike as soon as the official spots the ball, allowing a substitution for the field goal unit, and then kicking the field goal to win the game. You must be set for one full second before snapping the ball.

What actually happened is the QB merely put the ball down on the ground (technically a fumble), then declared himself "down" to the backjudge. Meanwhile, the defense interprets that as a fumble and pounces on the ball, and the offense stands around looking like idiots when they should be lining up for the spike. The officials all stood around looking at each other like they didn't know what to do, when they finally spotted the ball with four seconds left to go in the game.

Had the offensive line been ready for the spike play at 4 seconds, none of that would have mattered. But in the end, everyone made mistakes.

14. Maestro

15. tighr

After doing a little more research, it appears he did indeed get his knee down. Can't really see that from the broadcast angle.

[​IMG]

I still say, as does my original post, the blame should be shared with the officials and the offense, though. If the offense was truly well-versed and practiced in the end-of-game scenario of downing the ball in the center, spiking the ball, and marching the field goal unit on to the field (a scenario I know teams typically practice to be completed within 10 seconds), they should have been at the line and ready to snap. They are standing around. No sense of urgency.

The officials should have acted quicker, as well, knowing this was the end-game scenario that Wisconsin was trying to accomplish. All-around, it's a colossal fuck-up.

16. Maestro

What complicated matters was the ASU defense trying to fall on the "fumble." Now, I don't begrudge them trying to gain an advantage, but the officiating should have put a stop to that.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Okay that all makes sense. And that angle does seem to prove his knee was down. It's too bad the officials couldn't have stopped things and put time back on the clock, but how do you do that in all that confusion?

18. Kira's Mom

No surprise, Alabama beat Colorado State...but it wasn't a complete slaughter. 31-6. I was expecting a much higher Alabama score. Well fought, Rams. You played a big school without being TOTALLy humiliated...:lol:

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Considering 4 teams scored 70+ points, with 2 of them holding their opponents to 7 points and the other 2 dealing shutouts, 31-6 is a pretty tight game.

20. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Good god, UT/Florida had to be the sloppiest first half of any game I've ever seen. From both teams. Sorry to hear about Jeff Driskel, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't think my Vols might have stood a better chance against him than the new guy. But what I can't wrap my head around is the complete ineptitude of QB Nathan Peterman. I can forgive one unforced error, but not four.... certainly not that last one. And FIVE passing yards? Poor kid. The only QB who could make a bigger fool of himself is Mark Sanchez.