Bridge Layout

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Sam_I_Am, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I'm looking at schematics of the Enterprise's bridge here. Does anyone have any idea what the two rooms either side of the briefing room are for? They must be rooms because they both have doors.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bathroom and orgy room.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably just other conference rooms. Though could be something like an office for Riker, storage bays or anything else you might need a room for.

4. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why does the head have two sinks?

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They're ramps down to the lower part of Deck 1. It should be noted that these doors are never seen on screen so they may not really "exist." Also the turbolift side of the exit to the Ob, Lounge had it's OWN turbo, it didn't share the bridge one. I've really no idea who came up with that plan it's wrong on many levels but to answer your question.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Presumably for double occupancy, with one toilet and one urinal. No time to wait for sink space during a red alert!

7. Trekker4747

Those plans only show one toilet stall in the head.

I just took another look at the Sternbach (official) blueprints and they show a very different Deck 1, but still some similarities to those linked above. It does show a "lower" Deck 1 that the "ramp down" leads too.

8. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does the upper turbolift have a swivel function so it can be accessed from both the bridge and the observation lounge corridor?! ;)

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 'swivel-lift' concept is an idea I've seen replicated faithfully in various 3D representations of the bridge by people on the internet over the years, but I've gotta say I've never understood it. Where did it come from? Was it ever part of the original Probert/Zimmerman set design? :confused:

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In addition to Sternbach being a better-informed source, there are actually two turbolift shafts visible at that place on the exterior of the bridge.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

One inaccuracy, there's a head (with doors) in Picard's ready room where he normally goes to get tea from the replicator.

12. Trekker4747

Yeah, but one is a spare, it doesn't seem there's a door there for the Ob-Lounge. Presumably, I guess, the turbo would be at the bottom of the "ramp" on the lower deck 1. I don't like the idea of one car sharing one slot with two doors. Sounds needlessly confusing and just silly. It makes far more sense the Ob-Lounge has its own dedicated turbolift somewhere on Deck 1 either just outside the door or down the "ramp" to the lower section of deck-1.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first time I saw it was in Shane Johnson's Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. With the only two doors on the classic movie Enterprise bridge both leading to turbolifts, how else does one access the docking port immediately behind?

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ This is true. :) I remember thinking how wacky that seemed to me at the time. There's this little room with an airlock, the bridge's bathroom, a security office, etc right behind the bridge... but seemingly no direct way of accessing it. Until, yes you're right, I finally noticed that the port turbolift has got a second door. Apparently. :vulcan:

I seen people claim that you can actually see an interior door at the back of the Enterprise D's portside turbolift in a few season 1 episodes, but I've never spotted it myself. Anybody else seen it? :confused:

15. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yeah, who knew that the turbolift to the Battle Bridge was rectangular? :wtf:

16. Trekker4747

That's pretty consistent with the Sternbach blueprints as well as the glimpse of the turbo the one time we see it in EaF.