Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been awhile since I last checked in. Wow, you guys are good. I wish I could be as motivated as you. I haven't really felt "in good shape" since the holidays last year. Now I think I'm beginning to understand what people mean by New Years resolutions. It's almost summertime, and I'd like to go back to my salad routine and not go out to lunch or dinner so much. It's easier said than done!

I could use more core training but don't have any idea how to proceed. Suggestions? My exercise routine is 30 minutes every day on my elliptical machine. Thanks

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I'm the same - but thats more an every day thing! We've got a personal trainer with the company now charging half price for internal talents, but even at a lower cost I can't be sure if he'll understand the concept of "My knees don't work."

With work stress and illness I had a quiet gym week followed by a week of doing nothing and I feel awful.

Got an appointment with the Doctors on wednesday morning to see if I can salvage anything in my legs, might try and fit in a sneaky workout today before I'm told to stop.

3. Whtstr314

Whtstr314 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Monday: Tai chi
    Tuesday: Baguazhang
    Wednesday: Tai chi
    Tomorrow: More baguazhang and an aikido class

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Went out of town for the last 5 days, and pretty much spent the whole time sleeping. Got home today and decided I needed to go to the gym, so I did chest. I was hurting after my first set, but I powered through and had a really good workout. Still pumped a few hours later.

I don't have any goofy weekends or drunkfests planned for a good long while, so I think it's time to plan a new routine and get serious again. I've had a busy couple months, and my workouts were definitely suffering.

I might even start running!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Being on your feet for 15 straight hours at work and not having time to eat anything more than a bowl of soup does not do a good job to prepare you for the next day's workout. I should have just taken today off and stuffed my face.

6. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I went for a swim today, and managed 2.5k which I was pleased with considering I haven't been swimming or really exercised in about two years. I love having a 50m outdoor pool nearby!

7. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I was doing really well with my running in preparation for the Peachtree Road Race, which was held July 4. After the race, I took some time off to nurse various nagging injuries, and went to the doctor to deal with one in particular - a sort of popping in my lower back. The doctor said that there is nothing wrong with the bones and that I just need to do more strength work in general...and work more on my core strengthening in particular.

So in light of that sage advice, I'm kicking it into gear and renewing my interest in Pressing Play - been doing Power 90 this week and will continue that for a few more weeks. Then I think I'm gonna attempt P90X.

I'm still running, of course, but for the time being, I'm cutting back on my mileage to spend more time on strength. I still have as my next goal a half-marathon, but I want that to be in cool weather. Hot weather racing in Atlanta just takes too much out of me.

8. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

So, after more than a few months of slacking off going to the gym, starting back in February when my schedule got a bit crazy, and then coming down with Shingles, I finally got myself back in the gym last Sunday (August 1st)

And after only 1 week back, it's feels great how fast everything falls back into place. The daily discipline of getting into the gym for at least an hour every day and the proper eating was only a chore for the first 2 days, then everything went back to second nature..

Feels good to be back in there, got my work cut out for me, but I have plenty of patience.

9. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After an extended injury break, I'm finally back. I'm trying to build back into my running much more slowly than previously in an effort to avoid a repeat performance, but I am fast tracking things a little bit in an effort to be ready for this race. I've been feeling pretty good so far and I've been feeling stronger each run. It's only been a 9 mile week, but it's also been a 4 run week, which is almost more runs that I can even claim for an average month this year, so I'll count this as a success.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The last couple months have been full of fun summer activities and bachelor parties and weddings and such, so exercise has kind of taken a back seat. Friends are more important than fitness.

Anyway, now that all that stuff is over, I am re-commiting to my workouts. I started the other day with legs, and they are SORE AS HELL.

11. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I've worked up to doing 30 minutes a day, every day. It's mostly to manage depression, not to lose weight or anything. I do weight training every other day, for about 20 to 40 minutes. The other days I do 30 min of walking or 30 minutes of power yoga.

Today was 30 min of walking, tomorrow is Biggest Loser Power Sculpt with my girl Jillian. I was doing her 30 Day Shred, but I was worried that the jumping jacks and jump rope were too much on my knees.

I usually have problems with my knees, so I've been working on my core, hamstrings, quads and bootie. I never gave up the dream of running for fitness, so I'm starting with strong legs and 30 minutes of walking to build up to running.

And I'm going to get some new running shoes tomorrow since the ones I have are probably older than Betty White.

12. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Trying to restore exercise discipline, which I haven't had in a LONG time. My weight has not been an issue, though I think a little tone wouldn't hurt, but stamina is definitely a problem, and I think my heart could use the exercise; I KNOW it used to be a hell of a lot more efficient before I got so couch potato-y. ;)

Got an exercise bike here at home that I started back on. What I'm kind of stuck on is trying to figure out what to do whenever my job calls for travel...one thing I KNOW is that I HATE HATE HATE hotel gyms. I hate leaving my stuff out of my sight, I hate being in there with other people, etc. Are there any exercises I could use while on the road that would be good for endurance purposes that would NOT require equipment? (Outside isn't an option either...I usually end up having to stay in the downtown area of the city I travel to, and pull late hours?)

Would something like a sit-up/push-up program be something that might at least keep my body from totally slacking off when I travel?

13. SVD

SVD Captain Captain

The beautiful Sacramento Valley near Chico, CA
    I might fiddle around at the WREC, Chico State's brand new Gym, since it's close to the parking garage on campus, use of it's completely free to students, and they're open when I plan on ariving to campus (6:30). Get in better shape and loose about 30 lbs.

...or maybe not, I'm kind of lazy. :rolleyes:

I will seriously look into trying intramural sports next semester, wanting to play baseball or softball for the first time in my life outside the rare, public school, 1 hr PE class that happened to be playing.

14. Vurok

Vurok Lieutenant Red Shirt

I do karate three times a week, and ever other week we do 'the Pit' workout. I've put on over a stone in muscle since I started karate and eating meat last year.

15. Crusher Disciple

Started doing intervals in a jog/ walk program. This is much more reasonable than the last time I decided to take up running. It was really fun. :D

16. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, 6 days and still exercising, have only missed 1 day. I'm working out for about 1 hour on the bike, give or take a few minutes. I'm trying not to push it too hard too fast, given how long I've been out of exercise, but I think this might at least get my heart used to doing more work over a sustained period of time.

Still trying to figure out a solution for the travel, though, that doesn't involve the nasty hotel gym or the unsafe areas outside the hotel.

17. Crusher Disciple

Did my first jog/ walk intervals today at 2-3 min for 30 minutes. It was really fun. If the weather starts to cool off, I might be able to go outside and do some runs.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Switched to a new 24 hour hr gym and I've been going even if I'm tired, since I can rest longer before going. Its also a little bit more hardcore...I like it.

RAMA

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm ready for winter. I just want to get fat and lift heavy.

20. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiya, chickens! Long time no check-in! :)

I've been bothered a lot my arthritis in my hip in recent months and I've given up running in favor of walking. That's going pretty well. I have some fabulous long routes (5-7 miles) through lovely scenery near my home, and I've been trying to walk nearly every day. My ultimate goal is to walk a marathon; my intermediate goal is the 10.6 mile event at the Big Sur Marathon in May 2011. My husband will be running the marathon, and it's a fun event that we can do together - well, sort of together. At least they end at the same place. :)

I had to take a break from walking in the last week, though, when temperatures topped 105 F in my neighborhood. Yikes! :eek:

Right now I'm in Australia (came down for the Melbourne Worldcon later this week) and most of my walking will be wandering around from place to place sightseeing. I'm planning to try to get back to a regular workout routine when I'm back home in California next week.

How's everyone else doing?