What bridge design do you like?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AdmiralSteven, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I like the Voyager bridge, followed by the NX-01 bridge.

The view screen is under used. It usually is rather large. The screen can display ship status, damage, shield strength, casualties, hull breaches, warp power, weapons (Number of torpedoes left phaser power), ship orientation to the enemy vessel and other things important to the captain, XO, and others. Having that information up front where the captain is facing rather than on a screen on his chair would eliminate most needs for the captain to look away from the screen.

Of course that would make for a dull episode if we don't know how much, if any, trouble the ship is in.

2. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The arms of Picard's chair seemed to display some sort of information, though we never really got a chance to see what. He didn't use them much, but in Encounter at Farpoint, Wesley was able to tell they had a perimeter alert by looking at the readout on the chair arms. Kirk also had controls on the chair, though whether or not they provided any sort of readout I don't know.

The Defiant and Voyager had much larger displays available to the captain. The Defiant had large panels on either side of the chair that seemed to be interfaces just like any other terminal. And Voyager had a monitor of some sort that folded down when not in use, but were available when the captain or first officer needed it.

So I guess there is some information available directly to the captain.

3. Captan_Picard

Captan_Picard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Most often Captains do. Picard has one. But it doesn't tell a bunch. So does Jainway.

It wouldn't be GOOD for the show though if they changed it to your format.

Because then we would have this

(CAPTAIN GLANCES AT HIS COUNCEL)
    Issue order - We are under attack. Red alert. Raise sheilds.
    Tactical officor - Aye Sir.
    Captain taps buttons.
    Kirk epsilon!
    (then shortly later)
    we got the ship rocking and he says - Damages to deck 23-27, sections C, D, E and F. close off the areas and effect repare crews.
    *Aye Sir* says the bored tactical officer.

Nope. you lose.

This new command structure is BORING!

4. Captan_Picard

It does. Its nice for the con to see what is going on outside.

5. Captan_Picard

hm...thats the one thing I hate about the OS one.

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Flying a starship ain't like driving a car, kid.

The way that flying a starship works - based on coordinates and EXTREME distances, a viewscreen would be of minimal use to the helmsman - he needs assloads of information - visual and otherwise, all at once. All the main viewer provides is a view of space and the occasional rubber forehead alien standing in front of a repainted set.

7. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Ent Reptilian Xindi Bridge
    TOS Enterprise Bridge
    TOS Constellaion Auxillary Control Room
    TMP Enterprise Bridge
    TMP Klingon Bridge
    TMP Epsilon 9 Bridge
    TWK Reliant Bridge
    TFF Enterprise Bridge
    TUC Enterprise Bridge ( HATED the idea of crewmen giving up quarters for bunk beds, though...made it way too millitary )
    TUC Excelsior Bridge
    TNG Enterprise Bridge...primary and battle
    TNG Stargazor Bridge
    TNG Hathaway Bridge
    TNG Promelian Bridge
    ST:FC Enterprise Bridge

8. 03myersd

03myersd Ensign Newbie

For me I would have to flip a coin to choose between the Galaxy class and the Intrepid class. As much as the Galaxy class' bridge is bright, simple and gives a cheerful feeling (something which should be present in a ship devoted to exploration), the Intrepid's bridge gives a feeling of what the bridge actually is. It gives the feeling that it is used. it can seem rather dim and foreboding, especially when the ship is on red alert. It seems more realistic, even though the Intrepid class ships were essentially science vessels and not war ships.

9. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Defiant & NX 01 Enterprise. Hands-down, no contest.

10. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    I think I am a toss up between the old TOS style bridge, a mix of Kirk's era and Pike's and well the Defiant's. So compact and utilitarian.

Vons

11. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the big, open bridge design only makes sense on the Galaxy class, because they're always hosting dignitaries on the bridge. I still don't like the idea of them mucking around in there, though, so I think it'd be pretty neat to have the conference room directly behind the bridge, with windows looking onto the bridge. With a touch of a button, the glass can be rendered one-way so cadets can't peek in on whatever diplomatic function you're hosting.

The one-way window would serve well in the ready room, too.