USS Aventine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, Sep 30, 2008.

1. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

And giving it a name of a famous school shooting. :eek: But the rhyme was quite hilarious though. :lol:

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Don't you mean infamous?

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

This El Guapo...he's not just famous...he's in-famous.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the term "Columbine" has a long history, and is a perfectly valid alternate form of "Columbia."

Besides, calling the ship Columbia is no better than calling it Columbine in terms of wanting to avoid talking about real-world tragedies.

5. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I like the first link, the right side the best. I might have the nacelles swept back a bit more, but this is quite close to what was in my mind! Thanks!

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It's not a bad design, just not what I imagined for it.

8. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are just the first attempts. Plus with this be conjecture anything could happen. feel free to email Idea and I would be happy to add ideas into my sketches.

9. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

"Tell you what: Throw a little hot-rod red in there."

10. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Whoops, missed this.

No, I meant famous -- although it is infamous also.

fa·mous
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈfā-məs\
    Function:
    adjective
    Etymology:
    Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin famosus, from fama fame
    Date:
    14th century
    1 a: widely known b: honored for achievement
    2: excellent , first-rate <famous weather for a walk>

11. Ferd Burfel

Ferd Burfel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like Sean's designs, but I have a few suggestions.

It is my understanding that Slipstream works by fooling with the fabric of space time. This is done using the deflector. It seems to me that multiple deflector's would be most beneficial (backups and such). So I suggest not only a deflector like on a Sovereign class ship, but also a backup or additional one on the front of the saucer. Like the look a Nova and Akira class ship would have. This also solves a problem of the main deflector failing and the tunnel collapsing on the ship. And having the variable warp field nacelles of the Intrepid class would be interesting too. Slipstream is still an extension or variation of warp and warp fields and subspace. The ability to manipulate field shapes and compressions would probably make the technology easier to use.

12. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Sean I have to say this is somewhat close to what I was thinking of when it was mentioned that the Aventine is a slipstream prototype. I do like all 4 concepts but I think the main one I like the most is Concept 1 but alittle difference in the nacelles. I would change the look to what you have on concept 3 and have the forward part of the saucer also resemble that as well. Well I mean what you have there.

Great job so far through. Just wish I had an idea of what the ship would look like myself but all I keep on getting in my head for an image is the aft end as it orbits the planet but oh well.

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

I started my research today for this ship. Trough Google I ended up in this topic, I havent had the time to read the entire thread, but it's good to see peoples opinions, will read it all tonight. As for the Aventine: I'm just waiting for some books to be delivered, so I can read about it and to get a feeling with the ship.

In my opinion the Aventine does not fit such an agressive hot rod design as the SOTL2009 Spirit class is. I created the Spirit as a small experimental ship to test the basics of QSD. The extra canards and the tailfin that house a lot of sensors that are not needed on a normal production ship. Besides... mr. Tuvok would not allow it. :)

I'm planning to do my version of the Aventine somewhere this winter, using the fall for planning/concepts. One thing that I want to include is something close to a normal saucer.

14. Enterpriserules

Sean, are you going to refine your sketches? Maybe the saucer could be more like the Ent-E style. Just a thought.

15. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Where did you see a mention of a starship U.S.S. Aventine? In which book?

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the insight into your creative process. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The Aventine is from the recently released Star Trek: Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night by David Mack. The ship will continue to appear in Books 2 and 3 of the trilogy, as well as the followup by Keith R.A. DeCandido (that's me) called A Singular Destiny early next year.

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

After reading the extract of Mere Mortals over on Trek Movie.com last night, I've been reworking my designs as Aventine has Type XIII pulse phasers, something which I did not expect and only have the good ol' standard phaser strips along the hull. All I need to do now is find a working scanner so I can share my views on her!

19. Enterpriserules

I am really excited to see this. I love the idea of the pulse phasers, like the Defiant.

20. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Can pulse phasers really work on a larger ship? I would have thought that due to the limited manoeuvrability of a larger ship, the pulse phasers wouldn't be as effective, even if they were mounted on some kind of turret for targeting.