TMP on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flake, Jan 7, 2013.

1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I'm happy to see the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray.

The DE would be nice if they could re-do the work to match it, and may be the SLV as a bonus, but that SLV is such a clunky cut, with unfinished shots etc., that I would not revisit it as anything more than a curiosity.

The DE is Wise's definitive version, while the theatrical version is what was presented historically.

For me, that tells me that these 2 versions should have top billing on Blu.

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

In the case of TMP, it's kind of baffling that they'd cut out something like this.

[​IMG]

The theatrical release may be the theatrical release, but in the end the DE is a needed polish the film should have gotten in the first place. Kind of like how the 1998 cut of TOUCH OF EVIL should have been the theatrical release, it just works better, no matter if it was the theatrical cut or not. In the end, like that film, I'd like to see all versions available in one package rather than separated as TMP currently is. At least give viewers a choice.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't think I was ever more disappointed in a Star Trek product than I was with the directors edition of TMP.

I like the theatrical version.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just can't watch the theatrical version anymore. And thankfully I never have to again.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Kirk: Not for us?
    Spock: No, Captain, not for us. For the fans who cannot get the Director's Edition on blu-ray!

6. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I did break down and buy an affordable used copy of the blu ray box set of the original series movies. Damnit. I'll still keep my director cut DVDs and watch III thru VI on blu ray. A little mad at myself for giving in. I've bought these movies on vhs, DVD, and now blu ray, and if they put the director's cuts on blu ray, I'll buy them a fourth time.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

But the DE cut scenes of it's own, some for very good reasons as well.

"Oh my god."​

And I like some of the added scenes!

"He insisted we go first sir. Said something about first seeing how it scrambled our molecules."
    "That's a familiar ring, isn't it?"​

By far the best alteration I've ever experienced in seeing an alternate version of a film is this elimination,

INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!

EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM!

And the computer voice over that wasn't eliminated was redone with an actress. The Enterprise is a lady, and deserves a lady's voice.

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I 100% agree. It was like during the rush to edit the movie in 1979---every time they had a scene with any character insight or took a second to pause to address the actual characters---they said, "Cut that out--we need more FX."

Any version of TMP that does NOT contain the part where Spock cries and finally comes to term with "Logic and emotions are not enough."...........is my last place version.

For god's sake Nimoy changed his portrayal of the character from that point on based on that revelation.

Yep the SLV is clunky and poorly edited, but at least it contains the CHARACTERS.

"A crew of a thousand ten miles tall."
    "We all create god in our own image."
    "I am now discussing the subject of command fitness!"
    "Scotty, Be prepared to execute order 2001."

It wasn't a lot of our beloved characters, but it was something---the theatrical has none of them.

Best of all.......

Kirk-----"Tears, Spock? Not for us."
    Spock--"No captain, not for us."

They were all about to die and Spock is finding pity for Vejur because it had all the knowledge of the galaxy but didn't have a clue about love, friendship, compassion, loyalty---all the things that Spock had tried to bury his whole life, but realized when confronted with Vejur's pure logic---that was clearly not all that was needed to be truly "human".

They were afraid Spock would be swayed by an adversary that contained all the logic and knowledge of the universe, but instead it did the exact opposite.

Yeah, I'll take that over 3 1/2 extra minutes of "Cloud journey" and "Vejur flyover"

9. Grant

As will I--except for me its 3 times on VHS, twice on laserdisc, 2 times on DVD (actually 3 cause a burglar stole my DVDs in 2002 and I had to repurchase) And the "1 version only" movies on Blu-ray (3, 4 and 5)

10. Grant

Yeah, I never understood that---the 'refit' changed the computer voice to a male that sounded even MORE artificial than the previous voice??
    So in the 23rd century they still can't make a computer voice any more realistic the Stephen Hawking-esque sounding thing? Maybe it was a tribute to him! LOL.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Psst. Multiquote.

It's not entirely true there's nothing of the characters in the film, just the stuff cited is a bit more of it.

The male computer voice is an actual voice filtered, not a Hawking type voice. And maybe it's deliberately designed to sound that way to cut through the actual human/alien voices in an emergency. When that voice comes on, you know it's the ship saying, "Yo. Problem!"

12. Grant

Posssible, but the voice (Majel) used in the original series WAS distinctive and any crewmember hearing it would know the they were hearing the ship's "voice" and to pay attention.

Really if the old "Majel voice" had said, "Emergency alert--negative control at helm!"

....would anybody there NOT have understood who/what was talking?

Besides just have Sulu or Ilia say it.

13. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the male voice. It gave a feeling that I can't describe but was one of the things that I really loved about the movie. Something alien or otherworldly (not quite what I'm going for but the best I can come up with) and that intrigued me.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I found the male voice quite jarring even back in '79.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Whose voice it was wasn't my point. It was that it's obviously a voice designed to cut through whatever is happening.

16. Grant

Exactly! Like Majel's voice in TOS.

"Alien or otherworldly"....is that what the computer on a Federation starship should sound like?

I think a Klingon or Romulan ship computer should have an "alien or otherworldly" sound though.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Since, in theory, humans make up a small percentage of the Federation. What is the problem with the computer sounding alien or otherworldly?

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

For all that changed in TMP having Majel's computer voice would be a welcome note of familiarity.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

"E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT...!"
    This may sound sexist, but I think the Enterprise should be female.

20. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

It may not even be sexist per-say, there is some support to the idea that people generally feel more favorable towards and pay attention to a female voice more than a male voice.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/tech/innovation/female-computer-voices/