The Revolution pilot is online now...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Sep 4, 2012.

1. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for the link, , Fandango. The author opines, "I don't know about you, but I'm more excited than when Captain Kirk got his first unobtonanium underpants."

Does anyone have a Photo of that? Nom.

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

:angel:

"I'm not an engineer by hypothetically a continuous emp pulse could disable our electrical grid?"

And the ceylons, too?

Darth, i hope you know i'm just pulling your leg. My humor can be a bit pithy. i don't come out from under my rock much, anymore...

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: I gottcha. And you're right. Commander Adama was an idiot. A simple EMP pulse would have ended that problem. ;)

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I didn't know EMPs could restart 15 year old gas-powered generators that haven't been touched in over a decade. Or, amazingly, allow an iPod to hold its charge for 15 years and work flawlessly -- including perfect data retention -- after all that time. Or any of the other magical effects these kung fu pendants of awesome have done. (Including, incidentally, being nigh indestructable even when someone is actively trying to destroy it.)

But yeah, if EMPs (or the lack thereof) can do that even in theory, you totally nailed it.

(Incidentally, it's fairly easy to shield electronics against EMPs.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mock the power of magic at your own peril

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, I am quite enjoying the show, but when claims are made by the producers that the technology is "totally plausible" combine with what we've been shown on screen, I have to call bullshit.
    Yes. See, you're not the first or only person to realize that "technobabble" = pure bullshit.

And there's a key difference here. In Trek, phasers, warp drive, transporters, and replicators are part of the setting. In Revolution, the magic pendants and the "event" are part of the plot. Plot devices require much more internal consistency than set dressing.