Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Aug 29, 2012.

1. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As someone said on another board another case and point for network shows to only be 13 episode seasons. Though I wouldn't go to that extreme.

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

And even 13-episode seasons don't guarantee that all 13 are quality episodes. Inevitably there's one episode in each season of Doctor Who that disappoints, and occasionally outright sucks.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having not watched the episode but reading your guys descriptions of it...this sounds like your typical filler episode frankly.

4. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the show but I'm 10 minutes into this episode and I'm already to turn it off.

Here's a suggestion Hollywood, save the documentation style camera work for actual documentaries and leave it out of out our movies and T.V. shows because it sucks.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The problem isn't that it was supposedly documentary-style -- the problem is that it was so completely unconvincing as a simulation of documentary footage. Also that it was unconvincing that the filmmakers would really be allowed such unrestricted access to a police investigation in progress.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think the problem with doing just 12 or 13 episodes of Castle a season is that it would get a bit too serious and we wouldn't get a chance to see fun episodes like the sci-fi convention.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Then again, this is the same police deparment that has allowed a wise-cracking mystery writer unrestricted access to police investigations for four years now . . . . :)

8. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry I'm late to this discussion, keep forgetting to check this thread. I loved this episode, really a fun one. I caught most of the references (was kind of hoping for a nod to B5 or Farscape) & Shatner's voice @ the end was a good way to close it.

Love the direct to video idea for Nebula-9. I'm ready for it too, just got two Nebula-9 T-shirts from the ABC online store.

9. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I wanted to say that I kept on laughing at "After Hours". It was totally not about the murder about the priest although I missed the first part of the episode. The whole cliche of the witness being the hit man seemed kind of worn out. Castle and Beckett keep on ragging at each other and it is very enjoyable.

I thought the best part was the end when Castle realizes that his mother is quite friendly with Beckett's father and his reaction to that.

10. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like this episode. The constant bickering, the fact that they didn't have police out in force to look for Castle, Beckett, and that guy. Worst of all was the simple fact that you can make an emergency call on a locked iPhone.
    I liked the part with the parents, but I really hope they don't get those two together.

11. Christopher

I can't believe I didn't figure out that the witness was the killer. I was expecting it to be the nun or the FBI agent.

Every time I see Patrick Fischler in something, I go through much the same though process:

Oh, it's that guy. Isn't it?
    Yeah, it's that guy. What's his name again?
    Oh, I can't remember, I'll have to look it up later...
    No, wait, Patrick something, I think.
    Fischler, yeah, I think it's Patrick Fischler.
    [Upon seeing the guest credits] I was right, it's Patrick Fischler.

And who knew the Bronx looked so much like a studio backlot?

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

When I first saw the episode title, I had no idea it would be an homage of a sort to teh movie of the same title.... but I loved it!

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, that bugged me too.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

When I lived in the Bronx, I thought that ALL the time... ;)

15. Admiral_Young

I absolutely loved "Secret Santa". A Christmas themed episode of "Castle" seems natural, I'm a little surprised that we've not had one before IIRC. Right from the title screen being themed to the references, and the ending, I adored this episode. I still have to catch up from what I missed...but I knew I had to watch this episode.

So I don't know if anyone has been following the news or not, but apparently in February we will finally be introduced to Castle's father in a two part episode. Also Senator Bracken will return in February as well, as well as revisiting Espo's past.

16. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

It was a good episode and I liked the light touches of the Castle/Beckett romance. There was the aversion of that plant near the elevator. Then there was the large Christmass tree and the bit of "I didn't get you a present". It was all very well done.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"Don't get me a present!"

"I didn't get you a present."
    "WHAT!?!?"

:lol:

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great episode, one of my favorites of the season. Wonderful touches on the Castle/Beckett relationship, and their completely different feeilings about Christmas. My only minor nitpick is wouldn't that clock be needed as evidence?

19. Christopher

This did feel like one of their solid, convoluted and clever mysteries from when the series was at its peak. The main thing that bugs me (aside from the clock/evidence thing) is Beckett giving up her tradition to be with Castle. What Beckett said about her tradition being to keep watch on Christmas was genuinely moving to me. She chooses to do something meaningful, to try to protect others at Christmas so they don't have to suffer the same loss she did. It makes her like some sort of Christmas Batman. That's completely awesome, and very poignant. I wanted Castle to go to the precinct and spend the evening with her there. And he was going to. And then they went and ruined it by going for the sappier, shallower ending, by having her give up her noble and selfless calling in favor of a big tree and toy trains.

20. Admiral_Young

This was another personal barrier that came down for Kate. I wouldn't be too hard on her for making the decision go to Rick's house. Also if we look at it another way, for the first time in a long time, she has something and someone to be with and spend time with at Christmas time now. In a way she has a new family, something that is somewhat new to her and that she's still getting used to. Also Alexis and Martha also cancelled their Christmas eve plans to be with Rick.

The last shot of them framed in front of the Christmas tree was simply awesome. Now I can spend the hiatus and catch up on what I missed :)