Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Ensign Ricky, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Ensign Ricky

Ensign Ricky Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, as has been pointed out, it was the same prop Hartnell used on a number of occasions, most notably to open the TARDIS lock in the pilot episode, and to sabotage the Dalek detectors in the first Dalek story.

3. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the early Sonice Screwdrivers came with a chameleon circuit.

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or at least a perception filter, so people wouldn't even pay attention to the fact that it was a sonic. ;)

Mark

5. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And accidentally use it to install some cabinets and then unintentionally blow up Belgium :lol:

Gavin70 likes this.
  6. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

'fraid it's not the same prop as Hartnell used, for a variety of reasons. Also this was type of penlight was the 3rd 'sonic' Troughton Dr used. Two very different props in Fury and Dominators. Sorry to disappoint.

7. diankra

Are you sure. Realying omn the telesnaps, it's difficult to be sure, but as far as can be seen from this
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NoKHO38EA...6QxNgEEhk/s1600/Sonic+Screwdriver+%282%29.jpg
    it certainly looks to be Hartnell's prop, and there's records of the list of props kept for the Doctor's pockets from the time which confirm the pentorch was still there at the time of Fury, while Michael E Briant recalls that they used a prop they already had to hand for the sonic to cut short a very cold filming day (though the evidence is ambiguous: there's also some records of a special prop being scripted for use; one explanation is that the daft script included the sonic, it was changed to a conventional screwdriver, but on location it was changed back and the studio scripts kept consistent with the material already shot).

In this shot from War Games, it's very definitely a pentorch, and looks pretty simialr to the Fury one from what we can see of it. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...rewdriver.jpg/220px-1st_sonic_screwdriver.jpg

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Certain! I have done a lot, and I mean a lot of research on the 2nd Dr's Sonics. Here is a thread I started with pictures to illustrate the 3 different Sonics Pat had.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/2-sonics-2nd-doctor-179221/

As for Hartnell having the same prop, as the War Games Sonic. Its not possible for one very obvious reason. Out of interest, where are the photos or refs of Hartnell with that pen torch. BTW The photo you linked is Troughton with a normal screwdriver. I have that picture as a Hard copy and it's very obvious.

10. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Re Michael E Bryant recalling they used a prop at hand. Are you referring to Fury? If so this was a whistle on Debbies costume that was used (and can be seen in Pats hand in a still and telesnap) of the life jacket whistle because the intended prop didn't turn up. Look at pictures of the Sonic in Dominators, totally different even without the trigger attachment. It was a different torch altogether. All the info is there in the link.

11. diankra

We've got contradictory anecdotes between Michael Briant and Victor Pemberton on Fury; the former says they improvised the scene rather than having the Doctor use a conventional screwdriver so they could cut the shoot short; Pemberton says he'd written a special screwdriver into his scripts. Talked to them both about it, and they're equally convincing on it, so my best guess is that Victor wrote in a special screwdriver, it was taken out, but then put back in on location with whatever happened to be close at hand. But that is speculation.

Looking at the pic from Fury.. that's not a normal screwdriver half-hidden in the Doctor's right hand (it;s far too slim and short), and it does look a lot like a pentorch (and it's also too slim to be the whistle).
    However the pics do get confusing (particularly without video context), as it can look as if there's a lot of tools there, which you then realise are the various nozzles on the lifejackets the Doctor and co are wearing. (so the fact that he's holding the whistle off Debbie's lifejacket in one photo doesn't mean it's the prop he used as the sonic, as pointed out in the conversation in your link, at least in the first page - I may have missed some QED later!)

What are the various reasons why the Hartnell pentorch can't still be around, BTW? (Though I suspect it may actually be a replacement, though that might just be down to how it's held, so how the black and silver bits show up onscreen). There are a few 'Doctor's props' inventory memos which have turned up, and they keep listing it for ages...

Will have to another look at Dominators (shudders): had always assumed that any differences were down to the bit which has been added so it can drill rock, but maybe not.

Edit: OK, decided to postpone sleep to get to the end of that thread, and some fun headaches with the screengrabs! Unless Fury turns up to solve it all, I'll accept that they may just have used the whistle then! And then there's the slim (and changeable) tube in season six!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  12. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

The pen torch in Dominators is different as seen by thickness and the shape of the clip. I'm still trying to track down what make it was. In Fury on telesnaps you can see the shape of the whistle end on the screw ( I think that was in the thread). What are the Hartnell screen caps or episodes you mention? The torch he used in 'inside the Spaceship' ep is totally different pen torch. To be honest it looks a lot better than any used for Troughton!

‎I have an email from Victor Pemberton who said that he didn't know what prop was bought or made. He didn't think that a whistle would have been used as he was sure the prop dept would have "come up with something clever" for his scripted Sonic Screwdriver. I'm sure this was the case, a prop/torch was ready to use. But with Frazer Hines saying he remembers the prop not turning up on location & using a bit of brickabrack Debbie had on her , along with the photo and telesnap of the whistle, it appears this is was used as a last minute backup. Something that wouldn't be done today. Ah different times eh?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I've always had a fondness for penlights

14. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Oh yes, especially if you are one of the rare few that own one of the type used as a Sonic Screwdriver. :)

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Times like this I think diankra and Mycroft are the same poster just trying to stir up conversation.

:D

16. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Well if I was, id hope my other self would get back to me and post pictures of the 'Hartnell sonic' because this other half of myself disputes the fact that is is the same pen torch.

Blimey, I'm sparking conversation within myself as well as my other self. ;)

17. diankra

I';m sorry mycroft, but personal problems mean that getting relevant video grabs come about #655th. on my current list of priorities. I accept your off-site evidence that basically the Troughton screwdriver was anything they had to hand.
    I immensely regret getting involved in this conversation, because as things currently stand a late night conversation about Doctor Who seemed to be a nice distraction from real problems, but it turns out, it isn't always.

18. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Dianka, my last post was a joke for the other member who thought we were one in the same. I truly hope you were not offended, that was not my intent. You had great info that did tie in what I had, so I am at a puzzle as to why you regret the conversation?

M

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

diankra's one of the good guys and is very informative on classic Who; however like all posters here real life often gets in the way of focusing on what we enjoy.

Normal transmission will resume shortly.

20. Mycroft

Mycroft Ensign Newbie

Thanks for that, though I did not intend to cause any offence, or question anyone's credentials. I was only picking up on the comment re 'sparking debate'.

There are a lot of Myths re 'classic who' that are taken as fact and when new info comes to light people do not like it contradicting their perceived 'fact'. ( a case in point re the CO toy never being used in Nu Who eps). I hasten to add this is not what happened here & Diankra was very open re reading the new information to him that I presented, and said as much. Many others don't and sadly it ends up in a screaming match. Again I apologise to you diankra if my comment about disagreeing with myself caused any offence, I just found it amusing that it was thought that we were one and the same person.

As for the Hartnell pen torch, I have seen a screen cap of one as previously mentioned, but wanted to see the other or have reference of the story it was used. It is not the same pen torch as the War Games version, but wanted to see how similar it was.

Many thanks

M