You're the Editor for 2013...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Would that make it a 'Finale Frontier' ?

I'm really, really sorry....

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want more New Frontier also, but if the series is beginning to peter out, I would rather have a finale before all interest is lost, and we end on a cliffhanger. That would be horrible.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not if it was a cliffhanger that was picked up in the main novel series. We're seeing the DS9 and TNG cast mingling in novels pretty regularly post Destiny, maybe it's time to bring the NF characters in from the cold...

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

At least 5 books revolving around DS9 to celebrate it's anniversary pre and post Destiny, Written by David George III if possible (maybe not all of them since that is a lot of writing for one man)

An Ent book - post Romulan War

Titan book

Bennett TOS movie era book

2 Voyager books - Full Circle era

2 Typhon Pact/TNG/Aventine books

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Actually, after Raise The Dawn, I'm changing my mind.

I want this:

Well, maybe Beyer's next novel and then eleven DS9 books. Yeah, that sounds about right.

6. Enterpriserules

If this happened I would not complain as long as DRGIII was the writer in collaboration with the rest.

7. Thrawn

Yeah, he's sure earned some trust, hasn't he?

8. Enterpriserules

Completely. Like Beyer with Voyager, DRGIII just gets the DS9 characters

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I agree 100%, DRGIII is the master of DS9!

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, I wasn't going to do this, but then I figured what the heck? Half of these you've already seen earlier in the thread, and the other half is just irrational fantasy wish-fulfillment... but if Pocket wanted rationality, they shouldn't have hired me as editor!

So for the 12 MMPBs:

1. DS9 Ascendents Duology: Book 1 by DRGIII
    2. DS9 Ascendents Duology: Book 2 by DRGIII
    3. VOY continuation by Kirsten Beyer
    4. ENT novel set after founding of the Federation -- similar to Starfleet: Year One, but in the ENT continuity, featuring both characters from ENT and original characters.
    5. TNG post-Cold Equations novel by KRAD (or anything by KRAD. Seriously, get him back!)
    6. Titan novel by Andy Mangels (I've been unimpressed by Martin's solo work, but I'd certainly like to see what Andy can do solo.)
    7. A Reyes & Co. aboard the Dauntless novel, by a certain Mr. Palmeiri. (I have no idea if he would have the desire to do this, or even the time with his new gig and all, but I really liked "The Ruins of Noble Men", and with Vanguard concluded, this would give us some more time with these characters.)
    8. Aventine novel by someone... I'm thinking maybe Leisner, if he's interested. (Where is he, anyway?)
    9. Something by CLB... either Titan or TOS (any period)
    10. Novelization of the Secret of Vulcan Fury, by D.C. Fontana (C'mon, let's get this one...)
    11. The ultimate Star Trek Kzinti novel, co-written by Larry Niven and ???
    12. Something by Mr. Mack. You may... indulge yourself.

Now, since trade paperbacks don't count towards the 12 books per year (right?), I'd also commission six TPs. One would be released every second month:

1. Trial Run by Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens. (Shut up... I still want to see it! :p )
    2. DS9 20th Anniversary Anthology
    3. New Frontier Finale, by PAD
    4. Slings & Arrows Omnibus. (C'mon, it's due.)
    5. Crucible Omnibus, by DRGIII (including all the extra content that was originally commissioned)
    6. The inevitable Star Trek: Insert Title Here movie novelization.

And, since eBooks don't count towards the 12 books per year (right?), I'd also commission 12 eBook novellas, now that eBook readers are growing in popularity. These would be in two distinct series:

1. A TOS-era series set aboard a small surveyor/scout vessel. This would be an exploration-based series. To be released in odd months. (This is basically because I really liked the Sagittarius in Vanguard, and the Huang Zhong in That Which Divides, and I think that type of story could work as an ongoing series.)
    2. A "Tales of Known Space" type series. This anthology series could feature anything from anywhere in the Star Trek universe. To be released in even months.

Wait a minute... I'm just the "idea editor", right? I don't have to actually, y'know, edit all of those, do I? :p

No offense intended to any authors I didn't specifically mention by name above... there are many more that I'd like to include, but the spaces ran out. Normally, I'd be happy to commission you for 2014, but I'm guessing I would be having a meeting with upper management, where they'd bandy about phrases like cost overruns this, market overpenetration that, and then sadly all the personal contents of my office would be found in a cardboard box out by the curb. I'd be sure to get them back, though... BTW, would anyone want to buy 100 boxes of standard-sized paperclips? ;)

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

okay, i'll bite...

1. a TNG novel by KRAD
    2. VGR continuation
    3. a New Frontier trilogy.
    6. 2 novels set aboard a different vessel in the TOS era starting a new series.
    8. something by CLB, possibly a new TTN novel.
    9. a DS9 trilogy.
    12. a new TyPac novel.

plus Slings and Arrows omnibus, and 2 SCE omnibuses.

12. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I'm throwing out a few ideas once again by saying, what if they threw in a few audiobooks for already released novels?

A couple next year would be good: Plagues Of Night, and Forgotten History.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I've always been a collector of the audio novels, but the main reason I started was because they were new vocal performances of Star Trek by actors from the show. And especially with "Leonard Nimoy as the voice of Spock", whose early pieces for Simon & Schuster Audioworks were rewritten (by the original novelists) as First/Science Officer's Logs.

The abridged audios were an exciting way to bring novels I'd already bought and read into a new dimension of collecting/entertainment. It never worried me that they were abridged; the audios were simply a refreshed, different version of the novels when I needed a ST fix. And I really appreciated the productions where the original novelist (not George Truett) cleverly adjusted their work to suit an abridged format.

S&S started to lose some magic, for me, when they began to rely upon their stable of non-Star Trek voice actors to read the productions. As talented as they might be, Anthony Stewart Head, Boyd Gaines, David Kaye, Joe Morton, Grover Gardner and Nick Sullivan just do not excite me. And, now that the audio book industry has seemingly turned away from abridgements to whole novels on CD or download, in its entiirety, I have as much trouble finding a spare eight hours or so to hear a book, I've already read, narrated by a stranger. If I could find the time, I'd probably prefer to read the book myself.

Having said that, the DTI novels, read by Dulmur and Lucsly themselves, would be... awesome! (And perhaps "Ex Machina", as read by Billy Van Zandt.)

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I certainly would have 2 more Myriad universe books come out or Story anthologies one Enterprise story collection and one ds9 book to cover the missing five years that was skipped in the relaunch novels.

15. Thrawn

I don't think we need the whole five years. I think we just need the Ascendants story. We know from Raise The Dawn that the end of that arc was responsible for most of the changes that we see several years later, so that one should be enough.

16. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

January: TOS novel by Greg Cox
    February: ENT novel by David Mack
    March: Klingon Empire novel by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    April: DTI book by Christopher L. Bennett
    May: DS9: Ascendants duology by David R. George III
    June: DS9: Ascendants duology by David R. George III
    July: VOY continuation novel by Kirsten Beyer
    August: Titan novel under TP banner by Andy Mangels
    September: New series set between ENT and TOS, Book 1 by David Mack
    October: New series set between ENT and TOS, Book 2 by David Mack
    November: TNG book under TP banner by Dayton Ward
    December: Aventine book under TP banner by Keith R.A. DeCandido

4 new trade paperbacks:
    March: Final New Frontier book by Peter David
    May: Novelization of Star Trek 2 by Alan Dean Foster
    August: DS9 anthology, filling in the time in the gap
    November: Corps of Engineers, Book 14: Remembrance of Things Past, collection of un-collected COE stories

17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Given how Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn have set up so many incredibly rich stories, I would rather have DS9 novels set after them.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'd really like to see a book focusing on the other Khitomer powers reactions to what's been happening throughout the early 2380's. Destiny through to the Typhon Pact. I know we got a chapter with Klag (from the Klingon Empire series) in KRAD's A Singular Destiny, but I would really like more...

19. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see twelve novels focusing on the continuing adventures of Paris and Janeway's salamander children from "Threshold." :devil:

In all seriousness though, I'd like to see some more post-Destiny stuff especially focused on DS9.

My Schedule:

January: A follow up to Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn by DRGIII.

February: Something TOS, preferably Christoper Bennett following up Ex Machina.

March: The next VOY novel from Kristen Beyer

April and June: A duolgy kicking off a new must-read series in the vein of Vanguard by David Mack.

July: A new Titan novel

August, September, and October: I'd like an over-reaching story that takes place before, during and after DS9 for the anniversary.

November: Another post-Destiny TNG novel.

December: Surprise me. :p

Aaron McGuire

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

• DS9 Ascendants arc and Rebecca's kidnapping arc, preferably in a duology by David R. George III.
    • Typhon Pact/DS9 , possibly dealing with, if not entirely focusing on, Julian, Sarina and Section 31 by David Mack.
    • Typhon Pact/TNG duology by David Mack.
    • Voyager duology by Kirstin Beyer.
    • DTI by Christopher.
    • Titan by Christopher.
    • Typhon Pact focus on Bacco by KRAD.
    • New Frontier by PAD. While I wouldn't ask for a "finale", I would probably ask for a non-cliffhangery ending.
    • TOS Ward/Dilmore
    • TOS Greg Cox
    I know that's 13, but who cares? Fire me! They're already on the schedule! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! :devil::cool:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012