Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the trailer to The Martian gave away too much info, spoiled on it being a 'rescue' film. Ho-hum, I thought. Turned out knowing that had no detrimental effect on my enjoying the film after all.

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the Martian is an adaptation of a popular book anyway. It can also only end one of a few ways:
    He doesn't get off the planet and dies there.
    He gets himself off the planet (and dies, as how is he going to get home under his own steam?)
    He gets rescued.

Which of these is likely to be the end of the film, given that it's Mars and not Castaway starring Tom Hanks?
    I didn't think much of the trailer because the spacesuits are a bad colour choice (orange high viz on a planet that is mostly red. Yeah. That'll work) and they had shifted the entertainment options for Mark from ones that work really well in the book. I liked the film, the trailer moved me in neither direction on it. The book is better. Much better. And is totally like Ghostbusters....dramatic sci fi thing happens, but a funny guy is in the middle of it.
    Pleasantly, my wife persuaded me to read the book on the grounds she liked it...then later said it was because Mark reminded her of me.
    Go me.

3. jaime

I am not sure private businesses can be accessed by an emergency services number can they? That would be hellish to govern.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I meant in the sense, that maybe a deal could be made between the business and the city , given that they'd likely be contracted out anyway, or have it be spun off into a city service.

5. jaime

Ah gotcha. They did that in the game. City insured them and picked up the tab. They were politicised s bot.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

In at least two of the drafts of Hellbent (the Ghostbusters 3 that Ramis would have directed) the Ghostbusters have a 911-esque phone number.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, something like that. And in the end the city could say, you know what? We'll give you access to 911. On the other hand, it could mean Janine, or in this case Kevin, would be out of work if that includes a centrally operated dispatch.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You assume I read book, which I hadn't. I had no idea what it was about until I saw the trailer, at which point I was disappointed by the spoiler. Good thing I didn't allow that to cause me to skip the film at the theater, I eventually would have been disappointed again to have missed it.

Anyway you hate the trailer, fine. Don't go see the film. fin.

9. jaime

No...I am just saying that a trailer for a film based on a book, a popular one, is more likely to get a pass on the spoilers. The story is already out there, they are trying to show you how they did it as much as being.g a regular trailer.

And I don't hate the trailer. Hates a strong word. It is a weak trailer, and has had the opposite effect a trailer is supposed to have. I was going to see the the film regardless, but rather than day one blu ray, I will likely wait for price drop instead. Because of the trailer. Nif.

10. jaime

Give him or her a rapid response motorbike to be on scene ground control. Especially if it's janine.

11. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, women on average do like clothes more than men. Denying that is simply denying reality.

I don't get the humor in that scene. A character surprises another with a funny wig and hat. Why is that funny? Maybe there is some context we were not given in the trailer, but as is it might be amusing to five year-olds.
    Again, out of context in the trailer, the logo in spray paint was meaningless. Why was it there? Given that the film is a reboot, are we to believe the Ghostbusters in this universe are big among the street artists?

Also, I heard it was CGI spray paint. I can't tell either way.
    Really???
    Why not? The studio is banking on the audience's attachment to the originals. So isn't it natural that the audience would compare it to the originals?

It's like having a step-dad who constantly tries to do things your dad did with you... but then doesn't want you to compare him to your dad.

12. jaime

I get what you are saying. The wig stuff I find funny for the line and it's style. It's quirky...I think that's it's somewhat minor appeal. 'the power of patty compels you' shortly before the second slap I find funny. Not a subtle gag, and that's half the problem with the trailer. The original is a thousand times more subtle.

You are right about the comparison thing, a remake will invite comparisons, a reboot even more so in some ways, but I was feeling charitable.
    After seeing the miasma around the development (leaked emails, the concept as pitched....the bits of the leaked synopsis I glimpsed whilst dodging reading the full thing) make me less charitable. It looks to be a horrible mess, but I will watch it anyway. Which is of course what the studio banked on. Bad news for them is I don't so the cinema thing any more, so that's 1 to 5 box office receipts they won't be making. Multiply that by however other many otherwise guaranteed audience members have now been turned to waiting for home release, or cheap home release, or just plain waiting for it to hit TV, but got turned off by this trailer (or by looking around after discussing the thing at length like I did) and I get the impression this may not be the dinosaur wrasslin success story they were looking for.
    Shame really.
    It could have worked and should have worked, but at this point....I just can't keep my hopes treading water.

On the plus side if I turn out to like it after all, think how happy I will be. Yeah. So there's that.

13. jaime

Oh. I hear the library scene isn't in a library anymore. Sonething Scooby-Doo like instead.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm still pissed that Sony forced Ivan off the project and then "suggested strongly" that he publically say that it was his decision due to the death of Harold Ramis. What a crock. I mean, I get why they were all gung-ho to get Feig to take over (he's had recent hits, Reitman has not) but it's still annoying that his input was reduced to, "Here's your paycheck, now shut up."

Maybe the animated movie will be a cool return to a familiar continuity?

15. jaime

911esque is not same as 911. But still.. See....hellish ;)

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Edit:
    Stay Puft is so cute. I love how he smiles, gets upset, etc, and the reflection in his eyes.
    Man, he really didn't like that slapping joke.
    Is the video saying the trailer sucks, or satirizing the internet's overreaction, or maybe both?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  18. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

I have a gif of Mr. Stay-Puft rolling his eyes, on Facebook.

I don't know if anyone has seen these, but a YouTube channel called Midnight's Edge has two video which talk about the alleged production problems that plagued the movie, and the trailers' poor reception, plus Sony's response. Please note these videos have potentially MASSIVE SPOILERS (especially in the second video):

19. jaime

Yeah, that oughta do it. Thanks very much.....

Is it too late for reshoots? Bring in original cast that want to appear via a dimensional portal, make up the numbers with recast actors from a third dimension that is the cartoon continuity and appropriate uniforms, market the he'll out of that angle even if it only appears at the end, market the he'll out of that multi dimension angle being Dan Aykroyds original plan in 84, and then pray?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this is a total bomb do you think it will kill the movie franchise, or will they continue with the other movies and just pretend this one didn't happen?