Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Smallville isn't keeping you from being a comic book fan? :p

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "hitting lots and lots of things real hard" part. Gotcha.

The reason that the "last" Superman story could be reasonably good is it was permitted to transform and resolve decades of repetitious story tropes. Not one superhero comic in five thousand moves the character permanently from one place in their life to another - they're episodes, tales...ultimately, macaroni and cheese.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kneel to YOUR MILKSHAKE!

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I don't support the idea of using Zod in this movie but if they had to use him, I'd prefer to see Viggo than DDL. Daniel is a better actor IMHO but he would be too similar to Terence Stamp. Viggo at least would give a much different, quieter and less theatrical take on it.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I...DRINK....YOUR... ZOD!

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Daniel Day-Lewis has already said he would never appear in a comic-book movie.

However if he did, it would be pretty amazing.

7. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

No, they just wanted to see a person of color be cast as Lois Lane, and Rashida is (to them) an accomplished actress.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^
    Now they need tio find an actor with the last name of "Kent" to play one of Lois' relatives. ;)

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

She's a good actress. Between this and the rumoured Kevin Costner casting, it seems like the Kents could have a decent-sized part in the story.

11. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Actually, Darkseid's first appearence was in an issue of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen-#134 (November 1970). So yes, he could be considered a villain of Superman's.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ The Joker has appeared in Superman comics, does that make him a Superman villain?

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought The CW was Superman's greatest enemy. :lol:

14. Admiral_Young

The Joker has had plenty of history with Superman, one could consider him a villain of Superman's despite being more well known as Batman's arch-nemesis. Hell he played a vital part in Alex Ross and Mark Waid's Kingdom Come. They could have used anyone of Clark's villains to kill Lois, but they chose to use Joker. Are Darkseid and Joker traditional members of his rouges? No.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I hope they age Diane Lane a little for the role. She's way to hot to be Superman's Mom! :p

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm aware of his origins, but remember, Jack Kirby was writing SPJO at that time and taking it in his own weird directions, using it to create the Fourth World mythos that spun off into other series. Darkseid began in a Superman spinoff title, but he didn't subsequently function as a core member of Superman's rogues' gallery. He was more of a general DC Universe villain.

I'm not making this up, you know. Bruce Timm and his colleagues talking about the development of S:TAS have explained that they found Superman's rogues' gallery weak once you got past Luthor, Brainiac, and possibly Metallo, so they decided to bring in Darkseid as a major nemesis for Superman, more so than he'd been before. And that's influenced subsequent uses of the character, for instance, Smallville currently using him as the Big Bad in their final season.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a significant Superman/Darkseid storyline during John Byrne's run.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm not dying on the choice of Snyder as director or the rumours of an origin story and/ or General Zod. But I have to admit that the casting so far is spot on. Though I'm feeling old, reading that Diane Lane is Martha Kent, rather than Lois Lane ...

19. Admiral_Young

No one is suggesting you're making anything up Christopher...the posters point was that Darkseid first appeared in a Superman family book. We all know that he's considered a general DCU villain. I'm not sure why we're talking about this, since most likely he won't be appearing in the film. Do you have an opinion about Diane Lane's casting or are you just gonna nitpick something that doesn't relate to the topic at hand like usual?

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Diane Lane as Martha Kent is fantastic casting.