7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 4, 2013.

?

Grsde "The Crimson Horror"

Poll closed Jun 13, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

52 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. …You just cannot see it

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I call it Bruce envy.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The only thing that I find wrong with it, which is the same thing I find wrong with this whole half of the season, is that the Doctor is not trying at all to solve the mystery that is Clara.

Even when Vastra and Jenny asked him about it, he basically shrugged it off. I was really looking forward to their return because I thought that finally the Doctor might have to do something (or at least say something) about The Impossible Girl, but he didn't.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What more is there to do other than "wait for the Trap to be sprung"?

He's questioned her about who she is and what she's up to, who she's working for, and why she keeps popping up.

He's gone into her past to see her growing up, and even to the point of checking out her parents before they met

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know. Clara just isn't all that interesting to me, so without exploring the mystery surrounding her, I just get kinda bored. She didn't even need to be in this episode at all.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A shame when that happens. I felt the same about Amy as her time went on. After the first series, Rory became far more interesting, and better developed a character. Also, Arthur Darvill is a better actor than Karen, I'd say. The Doctor and Rory were far more entertaining for me.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah watched the episode again tonight and just kept thinking "I wish he was travelling with Jenny, not Clara."

Second viewing and still a fab episode though, definitely my favourite of 7B so far.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't think that Clara is a bad companion, mind you. I just think she keeps getting overshadowed by other things.

8. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

It was good..but more like a serial story in a classic sense. It's nice how moffat does RD in some respects, classic serials, and the one off comic like stories back when marvel did the run...it's a wonderful time to be a whovian, yes indeed

9. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what was the Tegan reference? Several people have mentioned loving it in the episode, but it must have flown right over my head. Details please! :D

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"Brave Heart, Worf2DS9"

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ And "I once spent a hell of a long time trying to get a gobby Australian to Heathrow Airport."

12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right! And that was followed by a distant scream. Clara reacted, and the Doctor told her, "Brave heart, Clara!"

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So this looks like being the second-lowest placed episode in the ratings since the series returned ('The Satan Pit' is the lowest BTW). The utter lack of advertising for this week's episode coupled with lackluster early reviews that all basically say "You'll enjoy it if you lower your expectations" don't give much hope of reversing the trend.

And the anticpation of (not really) finding out the Doctor's name / solving the (barely touched upon) mystery of Clara doesn't seem to be building the nation to fever pitch either.

So all in all not a brilliant state to be heading into the 50th Anniversary episode in.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Don't give a shit, Doctor Gloom. I was entertained.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Magnificent :lol:

Well we shall see what the numbers are like when the final figures come in, I’m not sure where this idea of lacklustre word of mouth going into the episode came from, I’d heard it was going to be a good one and frankly I wasn’t disappointed. Best episode of the half series so far for me, and an awful lot of my friends have said the same thing.

Ratings may be down but Who still seems to consistently be one of the BBC’s top ten shows as far as I can tell and whilst some of this drop off could be attributed to the split seasons etc., and hence the responsibility of Steven Moffat (the nefarious super villain also responsible for global warming, world poverty and Justin Beiber) I do think some drop off over time was inevitable, even if RTD had stayed (in fact I think it might have been more pronounced if RTD had stayed unless he’d radically changed the style because it was getting a little repetitive).

It’s still very popular, it’s just not all bright shiny and new any more.

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:beer:

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it's just my American ears but it's a shame these funny lines fly by so fast that it's hard to make out a lot of times. I often find myself missing things without another viewing (or is that their sinister plan to air more advertising :)).

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah ... that's why we watch it on the computer. You can tell when the rest of the family is wearing the same confused expression you think is on your face that something British just got in your ears and you need to jog back five seconds to work it out.

I don't think I'm being paranoid when I suggest that Moffat and Smith do this deliberately for American audiences:

"Hey Matt! Take a look at this line!"

"Oy gum, Steven! That'll give 'em Yanks a bit of a mystery!"

"How fast do you think you can say it?"

"Twice as fast as they'll ever hear it!"

"Great! I'll put another bit in, then!"

Bastards. There's a reason we kicked 'em out!

19. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

That's why God invented Closed Captioning, or as we call it here, BBC-America to English translator.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

But like the Murphy's, you're not bitter.