Things that are different in Trek history

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Triumphant, Nov 17, 2013.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

From Star Trek '09, we know that the Beastie Boys exist in the past of at least the nuVerse. So, it occurred to me: Did they do "Intergalactic" at all, and if they did, what did they say in their version of it where our version says "Like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock"?

Let's spread that out further. I figure the band T'Pau might have been The Lazers (their original name). Patrick Stewart might be recalled as the actor who played Professor X (provided we ignore the various crossovers that imply that the X-Men exist in the Star Trek universe) and Shatner would be remembered for ... Rescue 911? T.J. Hooker? What was the name of the first American space shuttle there? One might presume it was different, since it being named Enterprise in our world was the result of a Trek fandom letter writing campaign....

What else is different or missing?

2. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the first shuttle built would have been named Constitution

3. GENERAL_DS

GENERAL_DS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We have so many different things, right out of my head, Transparant aluminium, reason for the missing of certain people (amelia earhart, VOYAGER the 37) The millenium gate (VOY, 11:59)

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

No Eugenics Wars, for one. Also no mention of the 1996 disaster involving the 29th century ship. We've not gone far enough into the twenty first century to see if the government develops sanctuaries for people who've lost their homes or can't find employment.

Voyager 6 was launched, so we'll have to see if it eventually returns around the same time that V'Ger is supposed to show up.

--Sran

5. USS Triumphant

I don't mean different HERE. I mean different THERE. Arex has the idea. The crew of the Enterprise would never listen to a song called "Star Trekkin'" by The Firm from way back in 1987 - it wouldn't exist. Or here's a biggie: What shows did the version of GENE RODDENBERRY that exists *inside* the history of the Trek universe make? :D

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ In the Trekverse, a person named Gene Roddenberry does exist, but he is the Starfleet Chief of Staff in the 24th century. His name pops up on a fair amount of starship dedication plaques.

7. USS Triumphant

... and presumably he is a descendant of the Gene Roddenberry who was famed for his cult hit show "Genesis II" back in the 20th century? ;)

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There was no Voyager 6 in our own timeline. The program ended after Voyager 2.

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Cool idea for a thread...

We know from TMP and the Enterprise credits that they *did* have a shuttle named Enterprise, but we don't really know if it was the first one or not. Obviously the name was chosen for some other reason, though. And its history seems to somewhat differ from our own history's OV-101, since the Enterprise credits show its name painted in the same location as on later shuttles, where our OV-101's name never appeared. Perhaps the Trek version of the space shuttle Enterprise was actually space-worthy? I believe NASA's original plan was to refit OV-101 to be space-worthy, so maybe that happened in the Trekverse.

Inside the Trek universe, perhaps there was a popular science fiction TV show in the late '60s known as Galaxy Quest... ;)

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we know that a Space Shuttle Enterprise did exist in the Star Trek universe past.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

^Right, but the point is that, without the influence of Star Trek, the first shuttle prototype really was intended to be named Constitution (what with it being developed during the bicentennial). So in Trek's history, it was Constitution, and Enterprise was a flight-capable shuttle, which it wasn't in our history.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they have Galaxy Quest?

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Don't know. But I'm guessing that Jeri Ryan's known for her roles on Boston Public and Dark Skies rather than Voyager. Likewise, Stephen Collins and Catherine Hicks have only 7th Heaven in common, and Leonard Nimoy disappeared from the public eye after Mission Impossible ended. The Trek universe has probably never heard of George Takei or Walter Koenig.

--Sran

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ Nimoy's big break was Star Trek, so it's doubtful he would have even gotten Mission: Impossible. In an alternate universe, Martin Landau might have stayed put.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, it was called the Protector.

Damn,Questers or is that Questies?

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I find completely ironic is that if the fans hadn't gotten the first Space Shuttle renamed from Constitution to Enterprise, the plans at the time was for one of the later space-worthy shuttles to actually be named Enterprise! :lol:

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

True for a lot of actors who's big or only breaks were in a Trek series. Would Stewart have got the Prof. X role without Star Trek? I imagined he'd be in Britain working mostly on the stage. Though it might be fun to imagine him as the Seventh Doctor.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, the irony is that the spaceworthy Enterprise could have had chances of blowing up or disintegrating on reentry? Eh... it's fine the way it was.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

From multiple references in Trek, the space program moved at a much fast rate of advancement than it has in the "real" world. The 1990's had the DY series of spacecraft, and they were traveling far enough away from Earth to justify using suspended animation (which they also had). As mentioned there were at least four addition voyager probes, and a mission to Mars not to far in the future that realistically isn't going to happen.

:)

20. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Also, apparently the Nomad probe was launched in 2002, and was designed to seek out life in interstellar space.

And not only did the DY series exist in the 1990s... it even had artificial gravity at the time! :)

The first manned Saturn mission took place in the early 21st century too. No date was given in the episode, but MA says that the Okuda Chronology puts it at 2009 (obviously impossible in our world), and the Spaceflight Chronology puts it at 2020 (impossible in our world too... we won't even be to Mars by then).

On the plus side... we avoided that whole Eugenics war... ;)