No News, No Nothing!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. I'm curious about the next Trek movie, too, but it's not like we don't have plenty of stuff to occupy us between now and next May: a new Bond movie, a new Hobbit movie, the new season of Walking Dead, etc.

I'll worry about next summer's movies next summer!

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Next year is certainly going to stretch my film-going budget. At least by comparison with the last few years.

3. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The past couple weeks there has been like no new news

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And nobody is under any obligation to report new news. When does this thing come out? Next May? I hope there's no new information until April.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There was a time you wouldn't even hear anything about a new movie until just before its release, so you went into the theatre not knowing in advance what the story was about. Abrams is kind of "old school" that way.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, Abrams needs to stop living in the past and get with the times. The entire script for Nemesis was available online 17 months before its release. It's 9 months before Trek XII's release and all we know is that Benedict Cumberbatch is wearing a black t-shirt.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I prefer (much prefer) the "old school" way. I wish a LOT more people in the film industry took his approach. I've almost stopped watching movie trailers because unlike the best ones of yesteryear, that teased and hinted, many simply offer too much information and ruin the surprise. Better no trailer than that kind of trailer.

8. The Wormhole

Trailers have always been revealing key plot points about movies. The trailer for The Search fo Spock featured the Enterprise's destruction.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Are you being facetious, or do you honestly believe the script being available on the Internet before release of a movie is a good thing and should be standard operating procedure? IMHO, that's a terrible idea, you wouldn't be able to go on the Internet for fear some creep is gonna spill every little thing by blurting it out in casual conversation, no spoiler warnings or anything. I personally want my first viewing experience to be as untainted as possible by spoilers. Now sure, I don't have a problem with knowing who is in the movie, what characters they're playing and some basic plot information, but, the entire script, no way would I ever want that to be standard practice.

10. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

He was merely reminding us that Nemesis was the single biggest failure in Star Trek history, and that secrecy can only be a good thing.

11. Sindatur

That was my hope, but, I wasn't sure

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

lol too true.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

There's no virtue or advantage to doing so.

Next.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And I would say that problem was where it garnered most of the incredible wave of hatred and bad word of mouth - that led to the film not making a profit.

15. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can hear the high school kids now: 'What, there was a time when there was no internet? Wow, what did you do to pass the time?'.

16. The Wormhole

Well, I am exaggerating when I say the entire script should be online by now. That really isn't necessary.

But, the movie is coming out in less than a year. We should know something a bit more about it other than the villain will wear a black t-shirt. Hell, at this point with Trek XI we had the first posters recentally released.

17. Sindatur

Well, yeah, obviously "Entire Script" was hyperbole, however, to me, that hyperbolic usage implies in ST09 You wanted to know that Spock Prime went back in time (And the circumstances surrounding the event) and that Romulus and Vulcan were both destroyed.

Now, I found out after seeing it, that much of that was already known in snippets on the Internet, and I'm glad I missed most of it (Aside from Leonard Nimoy Spock was traveling back in time). That is too much information for me, personally, to want to know ahead of time.

I have no problem knowing all his curves, the second time, but, the first time should be an exploratory adventure, IMHO, of course

18. The Wormhole

Admittedly, I'm something of a spoiler whore and I will gladly look over a detailed plot synopis for any show or movie not yet aired/released.

However, not having spoilers doesn't bother me too much provided I know something. I know of a few movies which aren't expected to be released until 2014 which have more facts established about them than Trek XII, like the villain's name.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ I wouldn't let it get to you. I don't care whether they post spoilers or not. I'm happy with the set pics we already got, but I do agree about one thing, kind of. If they don't want to release any details about the villain, like the name, then they should stop parading Cumberbatch out to talk about his mysterious character and the movie, and they should stop making references to how well he did playing the role. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I have a secret. A really great secret. It's going to blow your mind when you find out. It's sooo good, but you have to wait a year to find out what it is." To me, that's not too cool, but it's easy to ignore it I guess. *Shrugs*

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it sets them up for a lot of public let down when we find out the villain is Finnigan :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.