Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why does my post get the bomb?????

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fixed.

You know, Supes has decided to renounce his American citizenship before the U.N., in Action #900.

I'm sure that's entirely coincidental to any desire Warners might have to "internationalize" the character a bit before they release a big budget movie that'll need to do good foreign box office. ;)

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think there ought to be a law that people insulting other people's appearances on the internet are obliged to post a picture of themselves to compare with.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Dennis that was in a back up story and is unclear if that is actually going to be touched upon in either of the two books.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

TRUTH... JUSTICE... All that stuff.

Still remember how many Americans were so totally upset about Superman Returns because of this.

6. Admiral_Young

Superman is already pretty international anyways as as Justice League member who respond to global threats. Clark Kent is still a US citizen it's just Superman who is revoking his to better serve the role. That's what I got from the story. I doubt Cornell will use this in Action Comics if it is an ongoing thread.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be forgotten and never brought up again just like dozens of other shock value comic stories.

8. Admiral_Young

The thing is thought it wasn't a shock value story. It was like a two or three page back up story (actually longer than that) in a milestone issue. It just happened to be picked up by one of the comic news sites and went viral. Sigh.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

And why wouldn't it? It's the most unique and "newsworthy" thing that there would be to report on.

Has FOX News fussed about it yet? :lol:

Whether it's touched on frequently or not doesn't have much to do with whether it's "in continuity" or not; for example, how often do they refer back to the story decades ago in which the United Nations issued Superman blanket permission to go anywhere in the world, into any country without carrying papers (on the odd notion that the U.N. could do that kind of thing)?

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet, Clark Kent still has his citizenship...

11. Admiral_Young

I guess I'm not looking at it as being newsworthy as others are lol.

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I'm not even American and I thought it was pretty lame how they glossed over the line like that, apparently to make Superman sound more "international". I know, it doesn't really matter since he's an alien so he doesn't technically belong to any earth nationality, but I like the idea of him being represented as an American hero.

I thought it was pretty cool how he flew to the White House at the end of "Superman II" to put back the flag Zod and co. had knocked down and promise the U.S. President "I won't let you down again".

Maybe some people think patriotism in movies is lame these days (possibly because America pushed it so hard after 9/11), but I think it's a good thing for superhero movies. Unlike others, I didn't mind all the pro New York stuff in the Spider-Man movies.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

They don't make the decision because someone says "that's lame." It's strictly their idea of how to maximize box office.

14. Broccoli

Because it isn't newsworthy! ;)

I didn't (and still don't) mind it in the first one, because it seems natural. By 3, it is just overdone and shoved down the audience's throat (particularly at the end where everyone is just watching and cheering Spidey on as he gets the shit kicked out of him - it is like they are watching a movie).

15. Admiral Buzzkill

NPR, Huffington Post, FOX News...in fact, this is the only thing that's getting Action #900 any real mainstream press coverage. It's newsworthy where the simple publication of a so-called "milestone comic" isn't, and one has to wonder whether that's another reason that they did it - the free advertising may pump up their sales a bit for at least a monty. ;)

16. Broccoli

I don't know...call me crazy, but when I turn on the news, I don't typically expect to learn what fictional characters are doing.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Okay - in 2011, you're crazy...or at least not paying attention. You may as well say that when you turn on the news you don't expect to hear what project Lindsay Lohan just got dropped from. Walter Cronkite has been neither a senior editor nor anchor at CBS for some decades now.

DC and Marvel have managed to generate this kind of mainstream media attention more than once in the last few years with stunt plotting - the last time, I believe, was the death of Steve Rogers. One doesn't imagine that this late in the day they're naive to the potential news value of this kind of story event when they cook it up.

18. Admiral_Young

^ ^Indeed, besides which this has nothing to do with "Man of Steel" and should have been posted in the Action Comics thread (which someone did). Again another reason why I'm so dismissive of this is because this was a back up story. I feel for Cornell a bit who told one of the best Luthor/Superman stories that has been done in a long, long time and it gets ignored because of this.

19. Broccoli

I know it happens, but I still think it is kinda silly. I mean, really, nothing else happened in the world that major news outlets need to talk about what fictional things are happening to fictional characters?

Then again, if it's Fox News...

20. Admiral_Young