Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of think Shannon looks like Non, if not Lex. Curious to see how he handles Zod, but optimistic nevertheless. Did they already announce Ursa as well?

2. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Disappointed the Zod rumours have been confirmed, but until we know far more about the story and what Nolan and Synder want to do with Supes it's daft to make any judgements. Still looking forward to seeing Clark back on the big screen.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I always liked the character of Zod and I was hoping he would be in the new movie. This is exciting! Although I am not familiar with the actor I think he does look right for the part.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No they've not announced Ursa, that still appears to be a rumor still. Zod is the only villain to be named so far.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

After Smallville and the recent run in Superman comics, I'm kinda burnt out on Zod.

However, he is a good choice for a movie villain. Superman, while he has interesting villains, doesn't really have many enemies that can challenge him on both a physical and mental level, which a movie like this kinda needs. Many of Superman's bad guys are little more than hired goons with superpowers. Not really any sort of mastermind that can carry a film (without some retooling or mega team-ups).

The casting of Zod seems solid. I hope the interpretation will be fresh (which, I imagine, it will).

Also, is anyone surprised at all that the title is Man of Steel?

6. Admiral_Young

"Man of Steel" has been long rumored and apparently it was the studio title they were using so I guess they just felt like going with it.

Concerning Zod on "Smallville"...too bad that basically was a farce. I was not impressed at all with Callum Blue or the way the writers used Zod. In order to use the character and the story (which basically was an adaption of New Krypton) they had to clone the character.

It will be interesting to see how he's use in the movie.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Zod seemed to be a constant presence all throughout season 5 and part of 6. In the latter part of 6 and season 7, Zod faded into the background, but there seemed to be the occasional reference to him. In season 8, Zod returns in the form of Doomsday being his son, and then Zod formerly returns in season 9. I feel that he has been continually there from season 5 onwards. Thus, my burnout on the character.

As for Callum Blue, I liked him. :shrug: I liked how he took some base elements from Stamp, but then spun his own thing as well. I loved how he played Zod's manipulative nature. With one look, he displayed a kind of "Hey, we're gonna be good friends, but I am also planing to stab you in the back."

As for the Kandor storyline, yeah, that was kind of a mess as I feel we missed a string of episodes during the first third of the season. But I don't blame Blue's performance on that.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

While I was one of the few who actually liked the idea of Zod returning for Singer's sequel (back when that was a rumor), I have to admit the idea of seeing someone new in the reboot was really starting to grow on me. Sigh... so much for that.

But still, I guess there's no denying Zod has become pretty iconic over the years, and it WOULD be a lot of fun to see him onscreen fighting Superman again (and I'll gladly take him over others that were constantly brought up like Doomsday or Darkseid, who have never really interested me).

9. Admiral_Young

The thing is I was kind of hoping that Major Zod would discover the real Zod inside the Phantom Zone and attempt to free him in the hopes that he would serve as a host. That would have been somewhat interesting. Once more the Kandor storyline was something I feel like had potential, but not executed properly. I still remember us all speculating that it was the real Zod that Tess had somehow freed from the orb.

We'll see how Michael Shannon does along with how he portrays him.

10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I'll just wait for this one on Netflix. I have to drive 80 miles to see a movie; Superman II redux just isn't worth the trip for me.

11. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Came here to post Michael Shannon's news. First with an ugly Lois and now with an unknown actor as a villain. This movie is seemingly getting worse by the day!

12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Wait, what?! Did something happen to Amy Adams' face I didn't hear about?

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does that mean you didn't drive 80 miles to see a Batman 1989 and Batman Forever redux?

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:wtf:

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Just because some of the same characters are in the movie (which can be typical for a superhero movie) in no way means that they are telling the same story again.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really. I mean, it'll probably have Perry White in it somewhere too.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My friend, everyone's taste is different, but objectively how can anyone call Amy Adams ugly? On her worst day she's at least cute.

You should probably take a look at Terrance Stamp's IMDB page. Prior to the Superman series he'd been in only about a dozen films, few of which were big U.S. hits, and he was often, like Shannon, a supporting actor.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I have no problem with Zod being a villain or being in this movie.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm fine with Zod as villain for a few reasons.
    1-He's not overexposed like Lex(which I hope is a supporting role)
    2-It allows for more exposition of both point of views without giving 2 origin of powers sequences
    3-Being tied to Krypton allows for a possible set up of Brainiac which thus fulfills really giving us a new big screen villain not yet seen.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

In Zod we trust. :techman: