Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loving Rumsfeld as The Riddler :lol:

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He is just mad not everyone likes his silly movie.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Bingo. Or didn't like it as much as he did.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm glad it's making money. I'm not enthusiastic about the movie and felt it could've been better and made some odd decisions and such, but I'm interested in seeing where a sequel can go.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If in the sequel half of the city gets destroyed again, I have a hard time believing that anyone would accept Superman as a hero.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If Man of Steel really happened, and I saw on the news that a bunch of people died in Metropolis during that whole Zod thing, I'd still think he was a hero for saving the other 7 billion of us. I'd be, like...happy and stuff.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope.

It's a good movie because it's a good movie. :cool:

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, same here. Plus it was pretty clear that the vast majority of the damage was done to the city by the World Engine, before Superman even showed up.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yes, me too. And I think that has to be a big factor to take into account in any origin/ reboot/relaunch movie. When Superman Returns came out, I enjoyed it, but I was never all that keen to see where the Superman/Lois/Richard/Jason story went next. In fact, the more I thought about how much the kid would have aged by the time any sequel came out, the less interest I had in seeing how that story panned out. Whereas I'm looking forward to seeing what is ahead for the characters in this incarnation.

Speaking of SR, it occurred to me the other day that when it came out in 2006, it got its ass kicked at the box-office by that year's big Jerry Bruckheimer-produced/ Gore Verbinksi-directed/Johnny Depp-starring movie, the second Pirates of the Carribean outing (Dead Man's Chest? Can't remember). And by the third X-Men movie, The Last Stand. Well, this year's Bruckheimer/Verbinski/Depp effort, The Lone Ranger, has bombed at the box office, while the summer's X-Men spin-off, The Wolverine, has yet to be released. It will be interesting to see how it fares in relation to MOS and TLR. I would be surprised if The Wolverine did as badly as TLR or as well as MOS. This, I think, would give an exact opposite reading of the box office rankings for their 2006 equivalents (ie Superman will be first, where before he was last, the X-verse will be second again and the B-V-D movie will be last where once it was first).

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

And Warners may well schedule Man of Steel 2 for release on the 17th July 2015, one week after Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know they were making a fifth on Pirates of the Carribean. I really liked 1-3, but On Stranger Tides was just horrible. I guess I'm kind of excited about seeing a fifth one, but I just hope its better than POTC 4. If nothing else, the series deserves a better movie to end on than #4 (even if #5 isn't the end, I still don't want the series to end with a horrible movie like the last one).

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In Universe?

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Didn't you give MOS a A- in the discussion topic? You don't sound like you liked it much at all. Do you grade on a curve or something?:lol:

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I do, actually. I wouldn't call it a "curve" so much as it's just an oddly weighted system. The movie was good and well made and I liked all of that, but it failed to completely meet all of my expectations but I wasn't going to knock the movie's grade any simply because it didn't meet my expectations. I tried to grade the movie based on what it was. Which, really, it was good.

Just when I dig into it I have a *lot* of problems with it, but it's all stuff I look to see expanded upon or established in any sequels. I mean I'm all for a Superman who doesn't kill and tries to take the damage to remote areas but that's an "established" Superman and maybe the events here is what brings him to that point? I'm all for a Superman that doesn't kill but maybe THIS is why that's the case. It "hurt" too much to kill Zod and he doesn't want to do that again. So many are my problems are in a "maybe they're trying to build something here" sense.

All the same, it was a good movie and I look forward to sequels, hoping these issues will be addressed/fixed and there's something grander they're building to. I have some trust in that.

Pa Kent's death and treatment was still really dumb and backasswards, though.