your ideas for Khan before STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

this is what I wrote on another board back in 2011 when no one really knew what was going on with Khan (back when it was rumoured the villain may or may not be Khan)

see how it faired against what eventually happened (better/worse) :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember speculating that in the movie, Khan would have been found and revived by Klingons not long after the Kelvin was destroyed, and by 2258 he was secretly ruling the Klingon Empire.

I was impressed that ID managed to stay true to Khan's origin and mythos and yet tell a story completely different to both Space Seed and Wrath of Khan. As I kept saying prior to the movie's release, he's a character not a story.

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I like in that speculation is that Khan has new motivation (fulfil my destiny!) that is not based on revenge. It is rightly pointed out that this character motive was already explored in Star Trek II AND Star Trek (2009) so why go over old ground?

TBH, revenge is done a lot in movies these days and formed a fairly major part of the last FOUR Trek films. Let's hope we see something original with the next one.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I pretty much predicted the rogue element within Starfleet, but I wanted to elevate another one-shot or even literary character instead. I absolutely didn't want to go over Khan again. My ideas all revolved around Robert April throwing in his lot with some Andorian mercenaries or have Garth of Izar be the warmonger. Either of which would've been the senior figure Christopher Pike served with, and who would no doubt remove him from the scene, as Kirk's "Obi-Wan". Forcing the young Captain to go toe-to-toe with his mentor's mentor.

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Love the mashup approach described in that flashback. Glad they didn't go that direction though. My only thoughts about Khan in JJ Trek was that they would need to cast very carefully as the role had some very big shoes to fill. I had trouble picturing anyone besides RM playing Khan.

6. Capt. Ben Sisko

Capt. Ben Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I've always felt that STID would have worked just fine without Khan, but rather one of his Lieutenants. When the movie ended with the shot of the cryotubes, that's when we should have seen Khan. From that perspective, now you have a proper setup in a future movie to do a Wrath of Khan. If a newbie came to STID, there was no way for anyone watching to even get the significance of Khan. Heck, the guy wasn't even built up to some feared thing before his "reveal".

7. austen_pierce

Yes! The Khan reveal (to Kirk) in TWOK had both TOS Space Seed and events in the film seen by us and others (but not Kirk) all building up to that one moment when Kirk stands incredulous and says in barely more than a whisper.... "Khan"

Priceless.

STID didn't give us this. We got Cumberbatch saying "My name is Khan". Very dramaticly, but utterly meaningless in the context of the two new movies. Zero had been done to prepare general audiences for why that meant a hill of beans.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

All I know is that I wanted Naveen Andrews to play the part even though I knew it would never happen.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In an homage to STV, a Klingon ship spots the Botany Bay and uses it as target practice. Khan and his crew are blown to space dust.

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

And in a parallel universe, he floated into Romulan space and became Shinzon.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My ideas:

• No Khan
    • No homages to "Space Seed" or TWOK
    • No Section 31
    • No Spock Prime

12. austen_pierce

ShinzKhan

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I soooo wanted the villain to be Garth of Izar.

RIGHT UP until he said "my name is Khan" I thought it was likely someone else, which in retrospect is astonishingly dense :lol:

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You and me both. Based on prior recasting decisions, it didn't seem conceivable that BC could be playing that role.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. He had displayed no Khan-specific qualities by that point.

16. Mytran

Well, original Khan was said to be 5 times as strong as a normal man with an increased intellect and ambition.
    But Nukhan has near Spiderman-like leaping and strength abilities!
    Actually, as with all characters in Nutrek his natural talents were probably dialled up to 11, so maybe this was a clue after all! :-)

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i just saw STiD again...and it seems like hecould easily be Garth..just as a little gray. And instead of shapeshifting, his power , gained from some other alien race (or maybe the same one???), gives him the power to heal amazingly quickly. But maybe they need a live transfusion to work.

But the radiation seems like waaaay to impossible (even for Trek).

i was in that mindset too. So sad i was wrong.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Strength isn't just weightlifting. 5x human strength means vastly improved jumping, too. It's stuff they just couldn't afford to portray in the 60's or 80's.

19. Mytran

Well, muscle relates to mass on a cubic ratio. So he might be 5 times as strong as Kirk, but he'd be so massively heavy that bouncing around like a rubber ball would be out of the question.

Maybe the magic blood had something to do with it? ;)

20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

currently listening to the bob orci Mission Log podcast and at around 28:30 onwards orci says the original intention was to do a sort of 'Heart of Darkness' with khan (I believe that was the original premise for Insurrection), then talks about the whole process of getting to STID..
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=248554
    interesting stuff

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014