Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

In every movie I've seen Amy Adams in, I've thought she was pretty much the living embodiment of sweet, plucky, adorable, and endearing. Those are good qualities for a Lois Lane, depending on your interpretation.

She isn't the age or look I envision Lois as being (20s and dark-haired), but she has a lovely personality/screen persona that could fit the role nicely, so I can definitely see her wearing it well. She's been a favourite of mine since "Catch Me If You Can" and while she's not the ideal Lois I'd imagined, she's a huge improvement from superbland Kate Bosworth.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cast of this movie is just getting better and better..I mean first Diane Lane and Kevin costner..but now also Amy Adams..woohooo:bolian::cool:
    This film wont lack acting talent, thats for sure.
    Adams is a such a great choice for Lois Lane.
    I am a big fan of hers and she is very talented actress..plus a great screen persona..She has this great natural charm that many other actors lack:)

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Actually, the obvious choice is:

http://www.itv.com/entertainment/harryhillstvburp/

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Going by that picture, there's a resemblance between them.

And Neill was only the first live-action Lois -- overall she was second Lois after Joan Alexander, who played Lois on radio and in the Fleischer cartoons.

It does seem to be a strong cast (aside from my personal dislike for Costner). But I still have little faith in the director, particularly after the atrocious reviews that Sucker Punch thing of his is getting.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been offline most all weekend so pardon me if I skipped over the last 6 pages which I suspect are all about AMY ADAMS!!!

My $.02 is that this is a win!!!

Great actress who can pull of feisty and mature but looks great!!
    So glad this Lois is going to be able to pull of seasoned reporter and not seasoned Pledge Mistress of Delta, Delta, Delta!!!

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The casting so far is good enough that it's revived my interest in this movie somewhat.

The following was published over at Deadline yesterday - it's not original editorial content but a letter made public, so it's not violating any copyright held by Deadline to repost it here as far as I know:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting that she would comment, because I could easily see Adams bringing the same kind of feisty energy and spirit to the role that Neill brought.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

okay...

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's an interesting article which begs to question whether or not Zack Snyder will be booted from Superman after the creative and financial disappointment of his Sucker Punch which opened this past Friday.

Hyperbole aside, the article does manage to be unbiased and gives interesting insight into the whole situation. I don't think Snyder is going to be booted from the project, and I don't even think he'll have any less creative or directorial freedom than he's already had or will have. WB knew what kind of movie Sucker Punch was when they hired Snyder, and apparently Sucker Punch didn't perform that badly against studio expectations which allegedly were already on the low side.

WB won't give Snyder complete creative autonomy (this is Superman, after all) but they probably weren't going to do that in the first place, either. They probably feel Snyder's visual panache and Nolan's storytelling abilities were the right mix. Let's hope so; the studio can't afford another "modest" hit after Superman Returns underperformed back in 2006. Snyder's Superman needs to be a hit or else the Superman character might be dead for a while as a film property, and some (one) might lose their job at WB.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Interesting article. I posted a link to something similar a few weeks ago and got roundly shouted down for doing so.

It's hard to see Snyder leaving now, with casting under way but then again directors have been known to leave projects this far into pre-production. I still don't think he's the right man for this movie and I have to admit, I'd be far from heart-broken if he did.

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just gotta ask, of all the talent out there in the industry, why Snyder? The only true bonafide hit he can lay claim to is 300, and a lot of people are split on the quality of that one. I truly believe he's a one-hit wonder who has somehow been able to coast on his success from that movie. Watchmen underperformed, as did his owl movie, and Suckerpunch is virtually a flop. I personally can't stand his slo-mo action scenes and over-reliance on blue screen backdrops, and I don't think he can direct or write honest-to-goodness drama to save his life.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

14. Agenda

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard this used to describe M Night Shaymalan (sp) in regards to Sixth Sense. I personally think he's made as many good movies as middling or worse but others have said similar.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then you should have read more carefully up to that point, since the discussion of Spielberg had nothing to do with comparing his talents to Snyder's.

Truth to tell, 1941 is exactly what I think of whenever a successful director's career is declared to be on the skids after a commercial failure.

I've liked everything I've seen by Snyder, so I have no complaints. Let the bean counters count beans, I just want to see an interesting movie - and I'd rather have one interesting Superman movie and no more ever again than a "franchise" of vapid, stylish slugfests.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dang it, I really like 1941. Parts of it anyway.

18. Agenda

Before we start talking about Snyder's 1941, first he's got to make a Jaws and a Close Encounters. I haven't seen either from him yet. 300 doesn't even come close to those two.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sucker Punch's box office has nothing to do with Snyder directing Superman. One has nothing to do with the other. If Superman were this big blockbuster original idea that was all Snyder's project from the ground up, that might be a different issue.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Vapid' is Snyder's middle name.