I was wrongly accused of commiting a crime today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by hxclespaulplayer, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Seconded.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As stated previously, NEVER volunteer anything to a police officer, except exercising your right to remain silent and requesting an attorney.

When I was a police officer in small South Carolina town, I was often surprised by people confessing... sometimes to crimes we hadn't been investigating. Perhaps, they were trying to "look innocent" by telling us to "go ahead, search my car... you won't find anything" and then we found drugs, weapons, etc. with which we had to charge them.

I never, personally, saw planted evidence, but I do know it happened. Such things are among the reasons I quit the police force.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Actually that's strictly right Sector 7, it depends where you are in the world. for example in the UK the Police have to say the following when they arrest you

“You do not have to say anything. However, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.”

So actually remaing silent could adversely affect you.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

5. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't this the same bloke that posted that interesting narrative about the possibility of finding love with a Certain Woman recently? I don't know. That one was pretty entertaining as it careened along, but this, uh, feels a bit stodgy. :rolleyes:

6. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's US only. In Canada for example you have the right to remain silent, but even after you have requested a lawyer the police can continue to question you.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, as pointed out to me, the op is apparently Australian. I therefore clarified that my comments were mostly appropriate to people in the US. Each country has different rules.

I always clarify in the US that asking for a lawyer is key because it gives greater protections that just asking to remain silent. Although both are better than saying nothing.

8. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I got a call from a guy claiming to be a federal agent wanting information with a caller ID "unavailable". When I challenged his credibility by telling him what police and bank personnel have told me, that you cannot prove your identity over the phone, he hung up, proving he was/is a liar. A real federal agent looking for information would have let me ramble on, waiting for me to hang myself.

CCC.

9. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...so sorry for the incredulity that must be going through your head and heart...in answer to your question asking for advice?...god, how I hate to say this, but...

Lawyer Up... (and, no, I have no connection or legal agenda)

...get legal counsel and at least find out what it all means and what can be/cannot be done...you need answers...good luck...

10. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

Yes, I am he.

I often get mistaken for a troll, probably because these unique life experiences I tend to have snowball out of control when I post them online, and by out of control I mean a feeling of "I can't possibly both reply to everybody and maintain an offline life".

I never did consider writing a book about my experiences or anything, but if the public have spoken, perhaps my life is indeed interesting enough for such a thing!

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Maybe instead of being framed by a one-armed man, in your story you were framed by a one-armed lady of the night. Get some synergy between the two stories.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    If this were Stockholm, it would be easy to believe.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Or a three-armed cousin with Asbergers.