TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished watching this, so I'm glad to see there's a thread for it and moreso that the reaction seems broadly positive.

I'm a big fan of the first film and feel fortunate to have picked up the special edition DVD when I did given that it dropped off the "grid" - ha ha - for awhile and what's available in the two-disc box now lacks any of the extras from it.

I quite enjoyed this. Visually it was mind-blowing. Whilst I agree that it has some flaws, the themes overall worked for me and let's face it, Tron was a product of its time and a bit cheesy. I was pretty impressed that they had a proper UNIX shell feature in this one rather than a made-up mainframe interface like the first one (the dog movie that popped up getting terminated by a "kill -9" was a nice touch and being a UNIX sysadmin I was quite tickled by that).

Naturally I simply must get the Daft Punk soundtrack, but I'm uncertain if it should be CD or download...

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

get the cd. there is also an album of remixes...its not as good as the soundtrack, but still worth checking out.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Indeed, in my opinion Tron and Tron: Legacy should be watched as one connected story.

Alex

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking of watching the first movie but was told it was dated and boring. Also, I shouldn't need to watch the first to understand the second, and the difference between programs and ISOs should be easily seen from what they do onscreen. I never saw anything convincing onscreen. Explanations after the fact don't count - if it's not on screen, it's not part of the story.

That was never dramatized in the movie. Quorra was never shown to be X and become Y, whereas programs tried to become Y and failed.

Just another example of how inept that movie was.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes... because sequels are always separate entities.

:wtf:

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I say you shouldn't be so lost that you can't enjoy the sequel, but, of course a sequel should have some harkening back to it's original, without having to retread the same ground in too much detail.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would still watch "Tron" even if someone told you that it was boring. You will get a better sense of the origins of the Tron-Verse if you do watch it. At least I think so. While the second movie works as a stand alone sequel, it was made for the larger Tron audience after all.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Really? Because I thought it was pretty clear in the movie that the ISOs were something different and they came from the Grid itself. Flynn pretty much SAYS that.

Yeah... if only that were true.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

And went to night clubs. And sporting events. Basically there was no distinction between them and real people other than they liked to wear light bright clothing.

Sigh...this movie missed all of its potential.

As Cartman explained, everyone has a soul.

Except gingers. :p

10. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a huge fan of movie scores and this one doesn't even seem to consist of full pieces of music, so I decided to just buy the five tracks I most fancied off iTunes instead. I've been listening to them over and over again for the past three hours. I really need to get my own copy of the DVD and re-purchase the Wii game...

11. Admiral_Young

Daft Punk's score is must own.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^I love the score, though I would call it "Daft Punk inspired" rather than Daft Punk's. Especially after reading the insert that came with the CD.

13. Admiral_Young

There is allegedly a "Tron Legacy Complete" score out there, was originally supposed to come out in two months but it got canceled as part of a package that included a vinyl copy.