If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trek_futurist, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownShatner

BrownShatner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm imagining the OP sitting there wearing his uniform and vulcan ears while cracking his knuckles. "Time to purge fandom of the heretics who have sworn allegiance to the false god of ST09! bwahahaha"

Anyway, I was hoping for a more vigorous defense of Nemesis than "humanistic". Part of me wants to believe it was almost a good movie.

2. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In a contest between a terrible movie that was a another painful re-concluding of TNG vs a forgettable but entertaining romp, I'd sooner not spend too much time on either.

But if I had to choose, I feel my fan "cred" would actually be saved a bit by going with the one that was at least entertaining without hurting much, rather than the abomination.

It's like choosing between watching Leave it to Beaver, or getting hit by a sock full of batteries. I'd go with the beaver and feel no shame.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

what do you mean by another painful re-concluding of TNG? When was there an attempted conclusion of TNG before?

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

5. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I left Nemesis thinking, "Man, that was disappointing."

I left Star Trek '09 thinking, "That was awesome!"

And yet...somehow...I still manage to enjoy lots of other Star Trek shows and movies. It's just crazy how that works out!

I like the ST09 better than Nemesis because Nemesis sucked balls. It has nothing to do with whether one of those movies is more true to the spirit of Star Trek than the other. ST09 is simply more entertaining.

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will say that I don't think that Nemesis was nearly as bad as I hear it get a rap for. It certainly wasn't great, but I enjoyed it plenty enough. ST09 is probably my favorite of the movies though. It is a movie that I just had a ton of fun watching. It may not have been a cinematic masterpiece, but I enjoyed it and I had fun. I'm finding more and more that that's important to me- if the movie doesn't emotional suck me in or get me invested, then I want to have fun. That's where I have become so enthralled with movies like ST09, Sherlock Holmes, and The A-Team. I came out of those movies and I had an absolute blast!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think the main reason Nemesis bugs me is that it's the last TNG movie. As their grand finale, it should really be a lot more than it is. I didn't mind it all that much in the theater, but after it became clear that there would be no more TNG, it bothers me knowing that NEM is the end.

And hell, no Trek movie has ever packed as emotional a punch as ST09 did. I was sobbing ten minutes into the movie with the destruction of the Kelvin the death of George Kirk. And then the movie shocked the hell out of me when they killed off Amanda! I was completely blown away.

Data died in NEM, and the most I could think was, "Well, good thing he downloaded his consciousness in B-4 earlier in the movie."

9. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^The first 10 minutes were amazing! I don't think any other movie has gotten me quite like the opening parts of ST09 did. It still gets me everytime I see it. I was shocked by the bold move to kill Amanda and destroy Vulcan, though it was less of an emotional response and more just being shocked that they would make a move like that. My reaction to those two things was very similar to my reaction in Avatar when they destroyed home tree. "Bah, they're the good guys. They won't really destroy the good guy's "base".... Holy shit, they actually did it!!!"

I definitely agree that Data's death had no punch to it and havig B-4 really didn't help its cause either.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, that was my same reaction. I think I sat there with my mouth wide open in amazement when I realized that Amanda had just fucking fallen off a cliff. My emotional reaction came later when I saw Spock...and then when Sarek comes by and tells Spock the real reason he married Amanda..."because I loved her."

Man, for an emotionless race, they managed to get some pretty strong reactions out of me!

11. Trekkie2

Trekkie2 Commander Red Shirt

I like both movies and I would not pass up the chance to watch either over most reality shows, anything but Terra Nova on Monday nights, and WWE on Syfy (how the hell did that happen?).

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's amazing, isn't it?

13. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

yeah, I brought up the "they're more similar than people think" thing earlier. It is kind of ironic. Just goes to show how much proper execution counts.

also, both have a weakly motivated central villain whose resentment at one of the heroes makes no sense whatsoever.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

At least with Nero you can make the excuse that he was grief-stricken and then spent 25 years rotting in a prison. His sanity may be impaired.

Shinzon is just whiney.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Shinzon spend almost the same time in a mine?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, yeah, but he didn't know any better. Nero was a good, honest man who lost everything. Shinzon grew up in a mine and won his freedom by focusing his work on overthrowing the Romulans. Then, suddenly, he decides to destroy Earth...for what reason?

Shinzon really didn't bother me until the back half of the film when he started dying and went crazy. Normal people don't continue walking after they've been impaled by random spikes.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Except that Nero wasn't ever in prison...they cut that plotline out. All he did was just sit around in his gigantic spaceship for 25 years.

That happens quite a lot actually. I'm constantly surprised by what the human body will endure and keep running "normally".

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, that would be enough to drive me nuts.

Um...I'm going to need you to cite instances where this happens "a lot." I am personally unaware of many real people who have been impaled.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Fan" is a dimminutive form of "fanatic", and being a fanatic about something doesn't mean you have to agree with other fans about it. As such, you proceed from a fatally flawed presumption ergo the rest of your original post is moot.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.