Alien Anthology (Blu-Ray release) review thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

If you've got it, tell us about it!

I really wanna see the "Fincher unchained" documentary for Alien 3, and the Burke Cocoon scene for Aliens.

And the movies, naturally.

Pity I can't afford it...

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I won't have it until Xmas at least. But the early reports have been quite strong, so I have high hopes for the set (and the films in HD).

3. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Just got it today. Only watched ALIEN (Director's Cut) so far, but can say there is a marked improvement over the picture quality compared to the Quadrilogy DVD. Colours seem more vibrant and the picture has been cleaned up (fewer artifacts).

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I didn't think that I'd want this, but now that it's out it's driving me nuts that I don't have it. :lol: I've spent myself into a corner so I won't be able to buy it for another two weeks at least.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I've just finished Aliens DC, and you know what, I still frickin' love that movie! A very nice bump up in PQ on the first two. I was going to wait until the weekend, but I will be watching the other two tomorrow evening.

6. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I git the quadrilogy new for 14.99 last year as well as the bttf box set. Is it worth it for a casual fan of both to upgrade in terms of pq/aq only?

7. Candlelight

If I do manage to get it I'll try and nip into work after hours and 'borrow' their 65" Full HD tv...

:D

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I picked up the egg edition. Very nice looking. It also has a $50 Sideshow Collectibles gift card inside, so that's great news for me. I've only watched Aliens so far, but man is the transfer great looking

9. LitmusDragon

The new documentary about the making of Alien is a big selling point to me. Before I read the reviews I had just assumed it was the same extras repackaged from the quadrilogy but apparently there's a lot of new stuff added.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new transfer of ALIENS is beautiful! The movie has never looked even half this good on home video before.

11. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

The new audio dub for Alien 3 SE is very good. Not only has dialogue been re-recorded, but new sound effects have been put in.

Things like Clemens' footsteps on the beach, the oxen making noises, the bed creaking when the alien attacks Clemens in the infirmary and the aliens' screetching when Junior sacrifices himself.

One annoying error is dialogue from Murphy calling for Spike (the dog) during the air vent scene on the Special Edition when the dog isn't in that cut.

This was also an error on the Region 1 Quadrilogy DVD that was corrected on the Region 2 version, but it seems to be on all Anthology blu-ray editions.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Maybe he had a dog?

13. Candlelight

Spike could've been another prisoner? :D

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I almost bought it today, but I didn't realize it was so expensive! I'm not paying $100 for 4 movies. I don't care how pretty they are.

15. Candlelight

I can get it for NZ$75 (maybe US$60?) if I buy it soon from Amazon.co.uk.

I love the fact that Region B covers the UK AND New Zealand now. None of this Region2/4 bollocks.

Although from the reviews I believe some of the sets are region free.

16. LitmusDragon

There's also 50+ hours of extras. Not that I'd actually watch all 50 hours, but I would definitely watch the documentaries about the making of each movie.

17. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I paid £70 for the first DVD set, since most films were £20 each, it seemed a pretty good deal for 5 discs.

Then the 9 disc set came along for £50, it was very good deal.

The BluRay set I can get for £35. It's just getting silly.

Mind you I suffered extra fatique by the end of the 8th DVD disc. Not sure I'm ready for the new set yet!

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

See, extra features have never been a selling point for me. I almost never watch them.

I honestly think I might wait 10 years or so when they come out with the super ultimate Alien and Predator box set that contain every single movie for both franchises. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

In terms of PQ, Aliens is remarkable. Yes, DNR has been applied - but most skillfully IMO. We now have a very natural and filmic veneer of grain as opposed to previous home video versions apparently having been "sandpapered" prior to transfer! But rest assured, the DNR used is NOT to the detriment of detail. Easily the best this movie has ever looked.

20. LitmusDragon

^ Agree. Finally picked it up this weekend and Aliens looks really great.

I guess we all know this already but Alien and Aliens both have some remarkable F/X for their period. This is especially noticeable now on the Blu-ray and on the larger TV I have nowadays. I'm not sure how Cameron pulled off some of the creature sequences he did back then without CG. I guess I'll find out on the making-of.

Something I picked up on this time that I had never noticed before- and maybe I'm just crazy- but do you think that the sort-of odd way that Ripley is cupping one of her hands towards her face here in the final shot of Alien (link) is a visual callback to the facehugger? Certainly seemed that way to me on this watch-through. There's another shot from directly above the hypersleep chamber where it's more noticeable but I couldn't find it on the intertubes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010