Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I guess my question is: if you worked at a studio, would you recommend your employer spend a $100 million on 'Captain Pike'? Do you think that Star Trek fans are numerous enough to make something like that a success?

There is more than just the fan side to this process.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"The fan side" has become a tail that wants to wag the dog.

3. BillJ

Yup.

4. Phantom

Phantom Captain

Take it up with GR who, despite all his faults, worked hard to establish Trek as appealing to a bar set higher than the LCD entertainments of the day, a policy that was continued through all the modern Treks up to the 09 film.

The evidence of history, sir, is against you.

Bull! Trek's fans have made over a billion dollars for Paramount (and CBS later) without resorting to appealing to the LCD masses. It can make another billion or more by honoring those fans AND offering quality entertainment for the mainstream.

But it requires more effort than Kirk the Smirk, nudie/underwear scenes, and pratfall humor.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, yes and no. Not to be argumentative, but GR modeled it on the Westerns of the times, selling it as "action/adventure" with some "social commentary. Science fiction provided a platform for telling a multitude of stories without being bound to one specific time, society, or place. He could have the commentary that he wanted on society, without necessarily pointing fingers at a specific aspect of of American society (with due respect to fans from other countries).

I think Trek 09 carried forward that spirit with a lot more energy, but I saw action, I saw adventure, I saw commentary. So, it works as Star Trek for me.

Obviously, and rather ridiculous to restate but I will, other people will have different experiences.

Terry,

thank you for your response. I know that the Axanar team has put a lot of time, blood, sweat, tears, money and everything else in to the project, and (having done fan film projects) I appreciate the effort.

That said, I meant nothing against Prelude in my comments. I love the documentary style of Prelude, and think more fan productions would do well to take that as inspiration. I can recall a similar one for Star Wars based around the battle of Hoth. They did a (then) History Channel style documentary, with voiceovers reciting quotes from famous people at the battle.

Also, having done just basics of tracking finger movements for a graphic display, I'm impressed by all the displays that have to be done. Again, my comments are not meant to denigrate the work you all have done. Instead, it is that I am hoping that it is a film that I cannot wait to see, and appreciate the full story, characters, and events.

Thank you for your response and please continue the good work!

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If I were running a major studio then I would likely make similar decisions as they currently do because even as an avid Trek fan I still know that a Captain Pike film (or an Axanar film) doesn't have enough familiar Trek elements for a mainstream audience.

But a fan production isn't hobbled by the same concerns. It isn't dependent on mass ticket sales and has the freedom to explore more off-the-beaten-path ideas.

Fan productions are using the visual mediums to tell stories they most likely won't see backed by the big studios. In some cases they could tell stories that mightn't even get published by Pocket Books.

Some have expressed surprise by CBS not shutting fan productions down. But from CBS' point of view they can reap the rewards of promotion of their property without it costing them a dime. As long as fan productions do not profit and no claims are made of the productions being official in any way. This is a way to keep the interest in Trek going without having to invest heavily in mounting a new series until they're good and ready. And as long as everyone plays by the rules CBS also earns a measure of goodwill from fans simply by not shutting down the productions the fans obviously enjoy.

7. BillJ

It's heartening to know so many people still buy into the Roddenberry hype machine.

Seems that even Roddenberry understood his job was to get people to watch his show...

[​IMG]

http://www.bu.edu/clarion/guides/Star_Trek_Writers_Guide.pdf

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No question. I just hacked out a lung.

9. BillJ

Different strokes and all that. But I think you'll find far more Star Trek fans that share fireproof78's opinion than your own.

It is your right to dislike whatever it is you want to dislike, but sometimes you go way overboard. I'm honestly surprised you haven't had some kind of stroke over the Abrams films at this point. :lol:

10. Phantom

Phantom Captain

The "commentary" in current Trek lacks depth and feels tacked on "just because". The most recent effort ostensibly was some sort of commentary about modern American war fears or something like that, but it was mostly implied and buried under what amounted to a pair of Bond villains. Instead of using the film to show Kirk and Co investigating and uncovering the moral rot at the heart of that version of the Federation, we got lots and lots of "pew pew pew" and run-and-jump BS, first with Khan at SF headquarters, then MORE with the Klingons AND Khan, and finally with the USS Vengence.

We could have gotten a tightly plotted, involving political thriller. What we got was basically the equivalent of Winter Soldier. Star Trek as superhero film.

To be fair, there were signs things were going to head this way as far back as First Contact, but even the TNG movies tried hard to at least present us with a moral or philosophical issue to contemplate in depth.

What I see in Prelude (to bring this back onto Axanar), was material presented in more depth, and much more thoughtfully. The teaser scene explores the issue of the Vulcans pulling out of the Federation, and what Soval fears might happen as a result. It explores the issue of how diverse peoples struggle with their differences when they try to come together in common purpose.

THAT is something worth making a movie about. Sure, there will be some space battles, maybe even a land fight (?), but the film isn't about the battles, it's about the PEOPLE.

11. BillJ

Which is why it isn't fair to try and compare fan and professional projects. IMO.

12. Phantom

Phantom Captain

I'm very well aware of just how mercenary GR could be. But that doesn't change the fact that his idea was to use the a/a FORMAT to also talk about the issues of the day: racism, economics/class structure of society, etc, as well as more personal stories about obsession, the burdens of leadership, and so forth.

13. BillJ

The commentary was about as subtle as "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield". Spock comes right out and states it is wrong to execute someone without a trial. Kirk speech at the end clearly takes on American's reactions to 9/11.

I'm not quite sure what was implied in Into Darkness, it was pretty out in the open.

I like "pew pew pew" but it either shows a lack of attention on your part or dishonesty to say that was all Into Darkness was.

Star Trek Into Darkness was an incredibly fun movie to watch (which is why I watch TV/movies). If Axanar is even half as fun to watch, they'll have a fan in me.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's entirely fair. They're both creative works put out for people to enjoy and critique. The major studios are in the position they're in because they've chosen to do so.

I also find it amusing that the recent Treks are defended by citing the less-than-impressive Trek episodes. Evidently they can't be defended by citing the episodes where Star Trek was at its best.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, don't push it! He just hacked up a lung :eek:

*hands Warped9 his lung back*

You might need this, unless you are a Klingon ;)

This is where I will respectfully disagree, and state that if you want to talk about the commentary in Trek 09 and STID I'll be happy to in PM or on the Trek XI+ boards :)

The commentary in both in intricately woven with the characters, to the point that removing the commentary is only possible by removing the characters. In my opinion, the political thriller is absent because it is about the politics from Kirk's point of view.

Contrast that with Axanar (again, for me) where the events are important but the characters are presented in their response to the events, and not as characters in of themselves.

Now, I think that Axanar will change all of that by allowing me to get to know Garth, Travis, Ramirez, etc. But, I had to look up their names on the website because the characters did not stand out to me, or I didn't identify with them in a meaningful way.

Again, this is not a slight against Axanar. If anything, it highlights my desire for a film so I can get to know these characters. It also highlights why I don't stack fan productions against Hollywood productions. They are two different animals.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I have to mow the lawn tomorrow and it's easier with two lungs.

17. BillJ

I've said it before (pretty sure it was directly to you), but I'll say it again: the Abrams films aren't the best Star Trek ever, neither are they the worst. They are a highly entertaining adaptation of a 1960's TV show.

But if Barrett, Nimoy, Takei, Nichols and Koenig were all on board, who am I to say that the Abrams films are bad/wrong. And it isn't like any of them needed the money like some on the TOS forum accused Bob Justman of for liking the remastered versions of TOS.

If you can't live with the fact that many people that actually are Star Trek fans and actually like the Abrams films, I simply don't know what to tell you.

So many of your posts simply come across as sour grapes at this point. I don't like much of the Berman led shows, but I don't need to constantly try and shit on them for some cheap thrill.

18. Phantom

Phantom Captain

So if it isn't Big Hollywood, it needs to "know it's place" and get in the "fan ghetto" where it belongs? That's what I'm hearing.

You're right, it wasn't subtle at all, but it WAS muddied, and presented in a shallow and superficial way that made it feel like token psuedo-commentary, to wit: "Militarism bad."

Moral dilemma for cavemen. Ook Ook.

Compare that to ST VI, which touched on some of the same issues in a much deeper, more profound way, forcing the crew to confront their own prejudices and foibles as well as dealing with the militarist conspirators. It also had the Klingons as active moral agents with their own dilemma to solve and as characters with room to grow. In ID they were basically mooks to be shot and a phantom threat to move the plot.

By the time we got to the one good scene that had some depth to it (Kirk's soliloquy at the end), it was too little and too late to redeem an otherwise paint-by-numbers actioner.

I expect it will be MORE fun, as it appears to have the depth of a VI instead of the shallowness of a 09 or ID.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with pretty much everything here, and I would likely be making similar decisions if I were a studio executive.

But this is neither here nor there. "Whom Gods Destroy" is certainly among "the less-than-impressive Trek episodes," yet it has its virtues, among them Steve Ihnat. "Whom Gods Destroy" will be cited a great deal in discussions of Axanar, possibly more than any other episode.

20. BillJ

Wait a minute! You call the Abrams films shallow and superficial yet hold up The Undiscovered County as some shining beacon. :guffaw:

"We'll clean their chronometers!", yeah, real deep stuff there. Gorkon instead of Gorbachev, clearly Nimoy and Meyer were just working on another level there that us mere mortals can only dream of reaching. :guffaw:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.