sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I guess that means chances are his Arrow storyline will be only one season then.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Things could change of course, but the pilot script for Constantine describes him as "a working class Londoner with debonair looks and spiky blond hair."

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So... Spike from Buffy?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

More like Sting (the musician/actor), who was the model for John Constantine's looks when he was created in 1985.

5. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Redshirts was a fun read, not sure it deserved it's Hugo win, but that's neither here nor there. This could be a fantastic limited series IF it doesn't take itself too seriously. The whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek and one big inside joke for trekkies. I hope they build the show the same way and kind of embrace the inherent hokiness of the entire concept.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

What if Robin Hood and his traditional nemesis, the Sheriff of Nottingham, were the same person? - BBC America Developing Robin Hood Drama Series ‘Nottingham’ From ‘Dracula’ Creator

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    At one stage in the script development for Ridley Scott's Robin Hood (which was initially going to be titled Nottingham) they had a draft where Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham were the same person, too. At one point it was said to be more of a Fight Club approach, though, where the Sheriff was chasing himself without realizing it. There was also a version where Robin Hood sees the Sheriff slain in battle and takes his place to impersonate him.

The spec script that first got the project rolling had the Sheriff as the hero and Robin Hood as an ambiguous character who's a murder suspect with a storyline that plays like a kind of period police procedural.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This.

I can't take any more crappy Earth based genre shows.

I'd settle for a crappy space show though...

9. Christopher

Ohh, that's a clever twist.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed Redshirts as well. I think how it fares could possibly mean Star Trek on TV again in the near future.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hmm. "Zorro Hood." Or maybe "The Scarlet Pimperhood." :rommie:

12. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can always trade services. Get HBO for Game of Thrones, then drop it and pic up Netflix for whatever show you want there, etc...

13. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Real pumped for Incursion if this can ever get off the ground. DeKnight did awesome things with Spartacus.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Dracula was good, and it sounds like this could do similar thing with Robin Hood. I'll most likely be checking it out.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It appears HBO are remaking the Channel 4 series Utopia with David Fincher directing and exec producing.

16. Christopher

Wow, that description of Utopia's plot was rather vague. I was wondering what was the big deal about a comic-book sequel, so I checked the show's plot summary on Wikipedia, and the key point the press release left out is that the graphic novel supposedly predicts disasters.

17. Bob The Skutter

Not exactly. It's a spoiler so I'll spoiler code it here...
    The comic book creator was involved in a conspiracy to lower the population of the world by infecting people with a disease then offering a "vaccine" to cure it that reduces fertility. A group of fans manage to get a bootleg unreleased copy of the second volume that holds this information and get drawn in to the conspiracy when they're marked for death.

18. Christopher

^The point is, it's about something rather more massive than just an unpublished comic book, so the press release's description is poorly phrased.

19. Bob The Skutter

Well fair point. They could probably give more information without spoiling. It's a very strange show, highly stylised, I quite enjoyed it and will no doubt watch the second series later this year.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The CW has given early renewals to Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, The Originals, and Reign. The first four renewals are no surprise. The ratings for Reign were such that it could have gone either way, so the renewal will come as a relief to fans of the show.