How is Janeway sexy? (Part II)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Adm_Hawthorne, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do a bun at all? I get it, to make her seem professional but they ended up giving her real hair some coiff anyways. Why not do that to begin with?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just trying it out I guess. I liked the bun, and it was good she had different styles throughout the series. Take that Picard!

3. Janeway’s Girl

I didn't like the bun in season 1. I didn't mind it in season 2, same goes for the ponytail.

4. teacake

Kate can rock anything. I think they were playing on her Katherine Hepburn similarity.

5. Janeway’s Girl

I agree with that:)

I have a theory that at some point during their 7 year journey, all the guys had a crush on her.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

They actually shot part of the pilot with her regular hair, a short straight cut, didn't like the look and reshot it with the bun of steel.

7. Janeway’s Girl

Yeah I know but if they didn't like her hair straight then why not give it some curl instead?

8. teacake

Curl doesn't stay on a hot set for 12 hours, not like a wig curl does.

9. Janeway’s Girl

Then why did they decide to get rid of the wig and curl her real hair in season 4?

10. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you saw how long that lasted. It was cut blunt for Omega then wavy again. I started to wonder when a short wig came in. I am guessing probably season 6 . The helmet. because wasn't it was soooo shiny and didn't have natural movement? It became more confirming when we saw Workforce and that was real hair. No ultra sheen stiffness. Why not keep her simple season five look I wondered. maybe it wasn't simple.

Curl I surmise would be difficult to keep onset as teacake said. the multi takes and falling would have her hair potentially damaged with all the touch ups and it's time consuming.

11. Janeway’s Girl

Isn't it insane that we are having an in-depth conversation about a fictional character's hair? :lol:

12. Catarina

That's what makes that Hair video so amusing. Her doos were a distraction.

Normally I don't waste my time gossiping about a coif or celebs but for Janeway...I succumb.

I watched Resistance today. Gah, love her away mission doo. Where the hell was that one for Resolutions? since they worked so hard to cram those two into a fantasy? :-) Leave it to TPTB to stay realistic in Kathryn's world when trapped but overkill in the office :-)

13. teacake

YES

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Janeway's changing hair. Women change their hair. She's a gal. She changed her hair from time to time. Makes perfect sense to me. As I have mentioned elsewhere I watched Voyager straight through over 6 months or so that they were showing them on the Syfy channel in the UK. It occured to me when she cut her hair that she'd settled down into being in the Delta Quadrant, psychologically. Her bun in the earlier seasons seemed like she was wearing a uniform, living the Starlfeet lifestyle; partly maybe it was fashion. Later when she cut her hair it represented life in the Delta Quadrant. I'm pretty sure I'm not explaining myself well! ;)

15. Catarina

No, I believe you did. When perceived that way it makes a lot of sense. In a way I'm glad Mulgrew didn't always get her way. She had some pretty interesting hairstyles that became more practical for a Captain who has to get her hands dirty being lost whilst respecting the classic early years for her creativity in managing it. When it was down it showed various meanings such as retiring, sex appeal, disguise, kindling for fires, hehe) People change . Janeway changed. Her hair showed us passage of time also.

16. teacake

I like that theory very much.

Maybe she was used to having the mental space to do that bun every day because she wasn't living in the same state of potential crisis. Every day, even the boring ones where nothing happened in the DQ was a day spent in a state of emergency because they did not know if they could get home. Short hair requires no maintenance. Maybe she wanted the crew to see she could make do and be happy.

17. Catarina

I just read this more carefully. I read it as a rhetorical.

Mulgrew decided. The ponytail fly away was making her nuts. She mentioned at a convention she had enough-the bun, the missions, the ponytail, "You can use mine;cut it. So they did. Not becoming but It let me work."

Not becoming, Kate? Honey that's what your hair looked like in interviews in your bun days. Regretting? Some of us love it!

I knew she had short hair (bun was wig) but to see it on the bridge I wanted to faint back then. LOL now her YOH look is appealing to me.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

19. teacake

MELAKON WINS

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've been searching for gifs lately. Also found this, but saw it posted elsewhere on the board here a while back.

[​IMG]