Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A matte painting? I thought the space jockey was built in full size? (Or, at least, scale to the children being used in the shot.)

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The Space Jockey was a physical set piece, yes. The Jockey room was, in fact, the same set as the Egg Chamber, just with a big alien stuck in the middle it. But they did build the whole thing -- there's photos of it under construction in Giger's documentary coffee table book "H.R. Giger's Alien."

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's what I thought; although I recall they could only afford to build have of the room, which meant that they had to turn the Jockey and re-position the actors in order to get reverse angles.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what I've seen so far I'd want to see this film even if it wasn't tied to Alien. It just looks enough like the kind of (well one of anyway) SF film I've been waiting for years for.

I haven't yet seen anything disappointing to turn me off.

5. Gepard

Maybe so; I didn't mean "whole thing" that literally, though. I meant "they built the room and the Jockey and the chair he's in as a real set." No mate paintings, in other words.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

My apologies then, it appears I was mistaken. I checked the wikipedia page for Alien, and it only mentions a single instance of a matte painting being used in the film, for the interior of the derelict. But the Jockey himself is indeed a set piece.

I'll have to pop in my Blu-Rays and re-watch these before Prometheus!

7. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's 28 years between Prometheus and Alien, so that might be a possibility as an easter egg.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing the Nostromo one of those things that'd be cool, but would also be winking at the audience a little too hard. It's best as an easter egg - see a big space station with a lot of spaceships berthed at it? The Nostromo is third from the left, that kind of thing.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Something like the Millenium Falcon in Ep 3 would be cool.

10. tighr

Or the Millennium Falcon in ST:FC.

11. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

12. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its because its an aged Weyland that gets inside the chair. If you look closely, you'll see the "chair" is actually nearabout the same size/scale of the Derelict, just the humanoid body is sized smaller.

In the story Weyland goes inside the chair against the wishes of David 8, and David gets decapitated. Weyland thinks he is taking the secret of immortality over to Earth. BUT the "cargo" of the ship can wipe out an entire planet within months. The Engineers themselves are androids, like David, created by...a certain banana shaped humanoid race. Think this is as far as I'll go.

13. Gepard

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where are you getting this info? I mean, awesome, and I hope it's true, but what's the source?

14. StarTrek1701

prometheusforum.net

Some guy over there posted it and it seems legit. Can't find the exact thread/post but saw it yesterday whilst working and read the entire movie spoiler.

15. tighr

Wow. Most of the time, I just go ahead and read spoilers because they usually aren't that bad. They usually don't really "spoil" anything for me. But that's a ton of info! Anyone who truly hates spoilers, I recommend avoiding that one.

Also, way cool if true.

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I don't care about spoilers - if a story isn't good enough to stand a second viewing, it probably wasn't worth investing my time watching it the first time.

But, yes, avoid that site if you hate spoilers. However, I don't think what I've read there spoils the ending.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Does it say whether or not the Charlize Theron naked push ups will be included?

19. StarTrek1701

According to the site's sources, and various other "confirmations", Noomi and Charlize are the only two survivors and they get confronted by a huge, and I mean huge, Xenomorph that also looks half-human. And then the movie ends abruptly.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I don't think so. That's now probably the only thing I haven't been spoiled about.

To me that's not really much of a spoiler as there's no context as to how the film got there. As with the original Alien, the enjoyment will probably come more from the "ride".