October Challenge Inquiries

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I don't have a really good idea off hand and Ptrope suggested I ask for some opinions from you guys.

The idea I was considering was hand drawn (or painted) artwork... mainly because other than illustrations for mathematics, I haven't drawn anything in nearly 20 years. I figured with three weeks, I might regain (relearn) some old skills and hopefully gain some new ones (I always thought I missed out by not taking more art in school). Plus I've been feeling a little chained to my computer lately. :eek:

But here is the thing... I don't always have the time for these challenges (which is why this last one was my first attempt), and want this to be as inclusive as possible.

So lets take a day or two to get some feedback on my idea and see what ideas the rest of you guys have.

To be fair, because this last contest was so close, I'll discuss the ideas posted in this thread with Starscape and we'll decide together.

2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I don't get to participate in these because I don't have the software or the skill you guys have, but I do enjoy watching them, and I even participate in the vote from time to time.

I really enjoy it when the challenges are seasonally themed, and for this month since it's Halloween, perhaps it could fit into that.

Back in my home town, my block would have a contest for this holiday, and for christmas for the best decorations. Who had the best haunted house type of thing.

My suggestion would be to take your favorite bridge, weather it be the Constitution class, galaxy class, defiant, vorcha, bird of prey, which ever it may be, and decorate it for the holiday. The vote could be on whoever has the scariest "Ghost ship"

3. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Remember, too, that if you are wondering what to challenge the group with, we also have a pinned thread called, "Can I Suggest an Art Contest" that you can look through - maybe something there will strike your fancy, or inspire your own creative/evil muse :).

4. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I'll take a look and if anything catches my interest I'll throw it in here. :techman:

5. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Just to add my [2¢] ... I like the idea of an "old school" art challenge, using traditional materials (or, for that matter, even using their digital equivalents, in a drawing or painting program - the key is in how the artist interacts with his or her art). Why do I like these things? Because I don't tend to do them on my own initiative (even though that's how I started out many years ago - even went to school for it!). I like the idea of a "challenge" being just that: a challenge, rather than just a showcase of what we're already good at or comfortable with, or subjects that we would normally pick to portray, regardless of circumstances. As a moderator, I have no influence over what people can choose to do here, only over whether they abide by the board rules. As a member of the forum, however, I like to come here not only to occasionally show off what I'm good at (which explains why I post so little ;)), but also to learn from my peers and to be inspired by them in ways that I wouldn't normally consider. Everyone can participate in this forum, every day - we can post anything we are working on, anything we've chosen to do, whether on a whim or after long and serious consideration, and it's great to see so many different things that people are capable of, and so many different creative ideas. That's why I like the idea of challenges - that people might find the time and accept the task of trying something different, and maybe even learn something new.

Of course, it's also important to have fun :D.

[/2¢]

6. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Thanks, but I should warn you that when I've set these challenges in the past I generally haven't inspired too many entrants. :(

I'm warming to the "traditional materials" idea, even though it's not playing to my strengths. I suppose it doesn't have to be limited to free-hand work, but also stenciling, graphic and technical drawing?

I had a couple of ideas I might have used had the vote gone my way:

1) Myths and Lengends - interpreting myths and legends of Earth in terms of the Trek universe (e.g. like in TOS were the Greek gods were visiting aliens) or show the myths and legends of the Trek universe (e.g. a space going "Marie Celeste").

2) Picture Postcards from around the Star Trek universe.

I'm not sure how well either of these ideas would hold up whilst keeping the "traditional media" condition, though.

7. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Had I won the September Challenge, I was going to suggest that we design an Enterprise Era (mid 22nd Century) commercial or personal site of some kind.

Years ago, the Internet didn't exist. Information was written and transferred via letter and courier, telegraph and telegram, facsimile, and eventually by old one or two line bulletin board systems. When the Internet did emerge, it was primarily text based. Gopher Sites fed information while FTP sites were where you'd find all types of binaries (pictures, midi files, etc). Later, the paradigm shifted and Web Sites emerged with "rich" content blended with images. The so-called "Web 2.0" elevated Web Sites' level of interactivity with the introduction of AJAX and the proliferation of API based modules (think of Youtube on this BBS, or Facebook applications).

Each of these paradigm shifts changed the way we interact with information, and with each other. Today we write our memoirs, connect with far flung relatives and friends, play games, engage in commerce, and so much more.

My challenge would have been to think about not only what's coming next, but what's coming after that -- to imagine a paradigm shift in information storage, interactivity, and dissemination. But beyond the art, how will it effect/enhance/change the lives of our great-great-great-great-great grandchildren?

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe maybe a art challenge involveing that manga i made a thread about and as far as i know still you can get from my Photobucket account :)

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's an idea, that i got from watching too many commercials...

"There's an App for That"

Since we know Nokia makes it to the 23rd century, why not an iPhone. And if so, what kind of apps will they have then (especially for Trekkian situations)

10. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I think Apple makes the tricorders XD

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks for all the suggestions! :techman:

I'll try to have something picked out by this evening so we can get started.

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that! It could be combined with the Internet idea perhaps... show us the use of computer technology/software in ordinary life, not just starships.
    [​IMG]

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

New challenge is up (here), so lets get started!

Thanks to everyone for putting up with me on this. :techman: