Best movie to watch?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain Kathryn, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Just discovered my on demand has all 10 Trek movies (all except for NuTrek) available and am going to watch a few. I guess they added them due to Into Darkness just coming out.

What do you consider to be the best out of all the TNG-based ones? Having not seen it yet, but heard good things about it, I am going to watch First Contact now. I've already seen Insurrection and Nemesis.

Besides those 3, what do you suggest I watch next?

BTW: So far I love Picardo's EMH cameo in FC. Hehe.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion...

None of them are any where as good as the TV series.

First Contact is probably the "best" but 17 years later I still think Picard is totally out of character that movie. Insurrection probably feels closest to the TV series in terms of characterisation but the plot is lame. Generations is entertaining but doesnt make a lick of sense and I actually though Nemesis was okay in the theatre but in repeat viewings it just makes me angry. It really is the worst movie out of all the 12 in hindsight. Somewhere there is a average movie trying to break out, but the director killed it.

Truthfully, the TOS movies are better than the TNG ones.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    My opinion is that Insurrection is the least offender of the TNG movies, but most people will disagree. The reason why I prefer it is that it feels more like Star Trek TNG than the other ones. The plot isn't air-tight but it's a masterpiece compared to the other three. :D

I agree with Jon1701 that the TOS movies are better, though. Hell, even TFF is more entertaining than any of the TNG ones.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you're going to watch a TOS movie and don't care enough to watch in order, then I would say start with The Voyage Home. It's the easiest to get into. And it has a lot of [good] silly humor, which I know you love.

5. Captain Kathryn

Oh man... Data doing it with the Borg Queen... :barf: :eek:

6. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

:techman:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If I had to pick a TNG film to watch, I'd pick Nemesis. Generations makes me sad because it was such a missed opportunity, Insurrection is one of the few pieces of popular entertainment, Trek or otherwise, that makes me angry and First Contact is just a poor zombie movie wannabe.

As I've aged, I find myself sticking mostly to the TOS films/Abramsverse when I want a Trek big-screen fix.

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

First Contact is probably the best of them, but it is still deeply flawed. Picard was just not himself and the nature of the Borg was completely altered to bring in a cool villainess, but it's entertaining. My second pick would be Generations... if only to watch Lursa and B'Etor get blown up over and over again.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

First Contact is far and away the best TNG movie--with the best musical score to boot.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Not to derail the topic, and I sure don't want to change your mind about it, but in the interest of the OP's question, what makes you angry about Insurrection ?

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch movies for entertainment, not intellectual stimulation. So for me, any Trek movie is good entertainment. The only one that's hard to watch is Nemesis, because it's just so bad. That said, I still watch it occasionally.

12. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First Contact is excellent :) Generations is underrated, but not as good as its sequel. It is worth watching just for the Picard/Kirk interactions :) Insurrection feels like an episode of the series with better effects, which is not a bad thing. Nemesis is a bit of a mess.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You can dig around the threads where the movie is discussed. I won't derail this thread. Because trust me, whenever a thread starts discussing the particulars of Insurrection it becomes a massive clusterfuck. :techman:

14. Captain Kathryn

Finished First Contact! I thought it was good, but yes flawed at times. I wish they showed more of the actual "first contact" with the Vulcans at the end. It seemed a little bit cheesy. But all in all, it was good. Better than Nemesis by far.

Watching Generations now. I like the Tuvok appearance in the beginning. :D

Also like that it features Kirk and Scotty!

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

First Contact is the best one. It has so much energy. It's fresh and different from what we've seen before. I love the character interaction in that film. Everyone gets a moment to shine. Every cast member is at the top of their game, even regarding their fitness (Frakes for instance, in his best physical shape). They included everything that I associated with the show. Even Barclay shows up. And the EMH cameo is great as well. And the Defiant as well.

First Contact did what Abrams & Co always talk about. Take all the vaguely familar elements a casual viewer could remember about the show(s) and put them into the film. That's why I always use that film to introduce other people to TNG, and it has never failed.

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I'd have to agree too.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

You're correct that Tim Russ appears in Generations, but he's not playing the role of Tuvok. Tuvok was still serving aboard the Excelsior at the time Generations took place, so he could not have been aboard Enterprise. Russ' character also clearly has human ears rather than Vulcan in that scene.

--Sran

19. Captain Kathryn

Ahhhh true...I'll amend it to Tim Russ cameo!

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they ever do an uber-mega deluxe edition, they should CGI some points on his ears.