Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JarodRussell, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I wish the Catholic Church would start cracking down on priests that create lousy TV shows.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the show, though sometimes the show is too malky.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side? :rolleyes:

4. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

Except that its not. At no point does the theory of evolution by natural selection even mention god, let alone if he/she/it exists or not. Evolution is not explicitly anti-religion; it's just our best, evidence-based, explanation for the diversity of life on the planet.

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

No.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they don't want to run into conflict with the establishment clause they will have to live with it.

7. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

What I don't get is how a literal interpretation of Genesis creation gets past the contradictions in the text? We start with creation story version 1.0, the six days of creation; this is followed by creation story version 2.0, Adam and Eve.

There are different orders of creation in each story (eg humans are create AFTER animals in the first, but BEFORE animals in the second) and even the creation of humans is different (ie Adam is created well before Eve, but in the six days version man and woman are created at the same time (in fact Jewish biblical scholars suggest that the Hebrew text suggest that they were created as a single creature, back-to-back male and female together)).

Genesis has been around for at least 2,500 years - you don't think rabbis and Jewish scholars haven't noticed the contradictions before?

Why do the Christians have to come and misinterpret Jewish texts? I mean original sin, really??? WTF?!?

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Lots of us Christians are aware that there are multiple contradictory creation stories, and we don't take any of them literally.

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

1) Evolution is a thing.
    2) Because of the evidence.
    3) Therefore, evolution is a thing.

Not really equivalent is it no matter how much :rolleyes: you do.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: look, i win.

10. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Evolution is a thing. If it makes you feel good about yourself, good for you.

Yeah, I have a life. I don't have time to sit around on an internet forum to try to convince a bunch of people that God exists, especially those who start topics like this.

Have a nice day. :)

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

thought you'd already said you'd had enough of this topic and were going. nice of you to come back and say it again.

12. marksound

Thanks. Nice beard. :lol:

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

You don't have to convince us that God exists. Some people do, some don't. Just don't go around like a headless chicken yelling "Evolution is only a theory lalala I can't hear you".

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't convince people God exists. If you believe in a god, it is because you take it on faith. When you try to present faith as evidence, you hit a rock wall; as you should. Faith is not evidence. All the faith in the world doesn't even come close to the evidence that is found in one simple fossil.

If you believe, it is because you have faith. Even if you believe it wholeheartedly, and it is the singular force of your being; it still doesn't exist beyond your person. It is real to you, but that doesn't make it real to anyone else.

Also, passive aggressiveness is bullshit.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

thanks. Kiss are lame. :evil:

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The question isn't if God exists, the question is why the theory of evolution contradicts the concept of God.

17. marksound

The real question is why science rejects the idea of God in the first place.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny thing is I don't believe in god, I just think it's silly at best to apply the same circular arguments against those who believe the non-believers so often rail at being used against them.

I'm right because I am. You're stupid if you ask why!!! :p

But so much easier to attack the people, right? :)

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

science likes evidence. the real question has just been answered.

tangent: if god made everything perfect and incompatible with evolution, he also created the majority of the planet's population to worship other gods. which makes god an imbecile.

20. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

It doesn't. Science is our best, evidence-based, explanation of the natural world. It neither promotes or denies gods existence. Science = Science; Religion = Religion

If it makes you feel better you may wish to think of it as science tells us the how, religion tells us the why