Dafydd ab Hugh

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by James T. Vader, Mar 28, 2013.

1. James T. Vader

James T. Vader Lieutenant

So, honestly, how can a publisher allow an author to put out work like his? It was so full of mistakes and canonical errors and screwed up settings and storylines, that Fallen Heroes was the only book of his I managed t finish.

His Rebels Trilogy was god awful and Vengenace started out with Quark wearing a sandwhich board trying to drum up support for his bar...

Then I found this...

[​IMG]

and it allll made sense....

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, I've read most of his Trek stuff and must admit, it stank...

3. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What a kindly thread. Good for you.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked DS9: Fallen heroes and Invasion: Book 4 - The Final Fury, the two books I've read that he wrote.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Fallen Heroes was probably the best of the early DS9 novels (including mine).

Haven't read his other Trek stuff.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Fallen Heroes" was an excellent page turner.

Well, you're complaining about errors and you've made a few of your own in that sentence. Anyway, correcting errors is the job of the editor and subeditors.

I did dislike "Rebels", but I was often underwhelmed by Bajoran stories - by anyone. What's wrong with Quark and a sandwich board? Sounds like typical Quark to me.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My thoughts exactly. But, hey - JJ Abrams gets this sort of thing every single day. You know you're a sombody when you've got a hate thread!

I've read and enjoyed several of Dafydd ab Hugh's Trek novels. Fallen Heroes was definitely the most memorable.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh noes! He's wearing a Ronald Reagan t-shirt! He must be eeeeevil!

:rolleyes:

His books were just fine, IMO. At least no worse than some of the other crap I've seen published with the words Star Trek on the cover.

9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That picture explains why he writes a right wing blog, it doesn't explain anything about what you think of his novels.

I haven't read his TNG book. The Voyager book was pretty good from what I remember. The DS9 books seemed pretty forgettable except for Fallen Heroes which I agree with Greg Cox on, it's probably the best of the numbered DS9 books. It's great.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I remember reading Fallen Heroes and thinking what a good book it was. Yes, it had a reset button, but the story was so good it didn't bother me.

However, I was completely confused when the Rebels trilogy came out. Not only was it absolutely dreadful, but I got the impression that whoever wrote it hadn't even seen a single episode of DS9. I couldn't believe it was written by the same guy. Now, some early DS9 novels get a pass from me no matter how bad they are (i.e. K.W. Jeter's Warped) because when someone's writing for a brand-new show, one doesn't know much and by necessity needs to create things that will probably get contradicted by the show later. That's just the nature of the beast.

But the Rebels trilogy was published during DS9's final season! There's no excuse for why the characters acted so different from the show, or why other aspects of the books didn't equate to the show (One example I remember is that it was stated that the Cardassians used some other race called the Drek'la to do all their dirty work. Huh?)

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Fallen Heroes was excellent. Everything else of his that I've tried to read has been... incomprehensible.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  12. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

I really enjoyed Balance of Power, Fallen Heroes, and his DOOM books. The other Deep Space Nine books were only okay, imo.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love his books, with Balance of Power being one of my favorites.

14. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually appreciated this thread as it has pointed me to some books that I have not read. Overall sounds like people like his books.

If we disliked authors for their personal opinions, politics, color of their shirt, etc then there are many out there that would not have very many readers regardless whether they are left or right....

15. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I remember reading Balance of Power some years ago and at the time I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I would today. I might pull it out and give it a re-read. I wasn't very impressed by Rebels or Fallen Heroes though.

Kevin

16. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Fallen Heroes is one of the few Trek books I read back in the day when it was new. I also remember thoroughly enjoying it, more so than the other five DS9 books I tried.

17. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Hmmm, that's interesting. Better then 34th Rule?

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it should be Dafydd ap Hugh. Ap being the welsh 'son of' equivalent.

looked him up and can only assume he made a mistake when he changed his name to that.

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Hugh seems to be a little bit more graphic and grittier in his writing. Fallen Heroes was intense. I am one of the few who actually enjoyed the Invasion mini-series and remember liking Hugh book as well.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeter's other novel, Bloodletter, was especially noteworthy in that regard. It was obviously written from the series bible, because it utilized ideas from the bible -- like the need for engine buffers inside the wormhole -- that the series ultimately didn't even use.

I remember that, based on Fallen Heroes and his non-Star Trek novel Arthur War Lord, people believed that Dafydd ab Hugh was a pseudonym for Peter David.

Going back to the picture, I believe that the Doom novels won the literary equivalent of the Golden Raspberry awards.