TrekBBS Armada - The Foundry

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Timelord Victorious, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Timelord,

Why don't you post a list of missions that are published by TrekBBS Armada members.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Good idea.
    Problematic though, as I think yours is the only one I am sure about.I am not aware of any others, even my own is still unpublished. One of these days I really have to finish it. Put too much work into it to leave it.
    I have to rework some if it though, cause I've got better ideas now.

3. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, mine is still unpublished at the moment. I really need to get some time on it.

First half is done, still trying to work out how to do the second half. I might leave it for now and work on getting "Trial by Fire" done instead as that is a more traditional mission.

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have just started working on a new foundry mission, titled "Komahashi Maru". So far, it involves a freighter in distress, Red Matter and Vulcan. Not sure if I'm going overboard with the leveraging of Trek lore.

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I was just thinking that I'd like to see someone make a 'no win scenario' mission. There would be no way to satisfy all objectives and rewards would be based on which path you chose.

6. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem is that there's currently no way cause a player to fail an objective or mission in the foundry, unfortunately.

7. intrinsical

Where the Kobiyashi Maru is a "no-win" scenario, I intend for the Komahashi Maru to be the "bitter-win" scenario. The captain has to choose between the Federation taking a huge loss, or do something completely unpalatable. I'm thinking along the lines of Deanna Troi having to sacrifice Geordi to pass her bridge commander exam, or Sisko having to lie, cheat, kill to bring the Romulans into the Dominion War.

Right now, I have no idea how the scenario is going to play out. Instead, I have spent my time populating the Galaxy Bridge Map with a full crew as I hope to make this a bridge-only mission.

8. intrinsical

Thanks for testing out my half-completed foundry mission. To answer your questions TomAdele...

My first plan was to have the player sit in the captain's chair and direct orders from there. Unfortunately, the foundry does not allow me to do that, neither does the game engine. The only way to get the player to sit in the chair is to get them to use the command "/emote Sit_Captain" or "/emote Sit_Chair". So I did the next best thing, get the player running around the bridge talking to people.

As for the next half of the mission, I need help coming up with a reason why the klingons chucked everyone into cargo bay 2 without confiscating or disabling the player's weapons (The real reason is the foundry does not allow us to disable a player's weapons).

9. intrinsical

After months of struggling with the Foundry Editor, here's my second foundry mission.

Mission: Komahashi Maru
    Faction: Federation
    Min. Level: Any
    Entry Point: Starfleet Academy, Earth
    Content: Roughly 10-20 minutes long, lots of conversation and a little ground combat towards the end.
    Teaser:
    Sir, we have just recieved a Priority One order from Starfleet Command.

We are to return to Earth where its Captain and command staff are to report to Starfleet Academy for a Special Command and Tactics Refresher, The Komahashi Maru Incident.

This is highly unusal, sir. I have never heard of a training simulation called the Komahashi Maru and there is no indication of who issued the order. However, it has passed all authentication and verification checks. The order is genuine.

Report to Starfleet Academy on Earth to begin the training simulation.

10. Zadama

Zadama Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone! I'd just like to promote my newest Foundry mission.

[​IMG]

Author: Zadama
    Minimum: Any Level
    Allegiance: Federation
    ST-HCKSPY9Z2
    Estimated Mission Length: 30 Minutes

Mission Description

When an archaeological survey ship discovers an expanse of Tkon ruins deep within the Arucanis Arm, close to the end of its tour of duty, your ship is dispatched to resupply and assist them.

Sometimes, however, history is better left untouched.

Thank you!

11. intrinsical

Now that episode 1 of what I am now calling the "Eclipse" arc has been released, I am now working on episode 2. The title is "The Borg of 4028" and I have most of the story plotted out. Half the mission maps are nearly complete. I just need to populate them with Borg. Lots and lots of Borg.

However, I am still lacking a cold open teaser. Does anyone have a good idea? It can be anything, so long as its either surprising or funny (or surprising AND funny).

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a Foundry idea, but don't know if what I envision is possible given the limitations of the Foundry. Let me post my story and questions here, and please, let me know if it's doable.

i don't want to invest dilithium if I can't make it happen.

it starts out with the ship getting a mission to head into Romulan space to investigate the formation of a wormhole. They reach the system, and do find a wormhole, and launch a probe to get data. While there, they are attacked by Hirogen. They manage to fight off the attack, and determine the wormhole leads to the Sol system. A second, much larger Hirogen attach force appears, and you decide to try and disrupt the wormhole instead of having this doorway to Earth sitting here for the Hirogens use.

Is there a wormhole for use in the Foundry

You head into the wormhole and detonate an explosive that disrupts the wormhole. Load screen.

You appear in space near Earth, you see Earth, but no spacedock or ship traffic. You do find a group of ships in high Earth orbit, who turn and attack you before you can react. You do battle, and defeat several. The remainder fly out of range. Your science officer monitors Earth communications, and you determine you are in the past, 1973 to be exact.

For story reasons, I see my aliens using Iconian Obex ships. Is this available for use in the Foundry

On the bridge, you have a discussion with bridge crew, then enter your ready room, where you find GARY SEVEN, who beamed there from his office in NYC. Seven's computer Beta 5 monitored the battle between your ship and the aliens. He gives you back story on the aliens and their objective.

over 200,000 years ago, the Iconians visited a world where two sentient species developed, the Mozz and the Ro'gaan. They have them technology, and they jumped from bronze age to 21st Century level in a generation. The Mozz were peaceful and applied the tech to science and defense, the Ro'gaan were belligerant and applied it to war. The Ro'gaan developed a biological weapon that began wiping out all life on their world. They attacked the Iconians and siezed ships, and left the planet. The Mozz developed a lifeboat, holding embryos and genetic material to preserve their species. They attacked an Iconinan gateway and managed to send the lifeboat away.

When the Iconians informed the Ro'gaan of what the Mozz did, the set out across the galaxy to find the lifeboat, and end their enemies forever. Today the Ro'gaan found the lifeboat.

Seven informs you that the lifeboat is buried in the desert of the American southwest, and he could use your help.

You order your ship to take a position behind the moon, and you take a runabout to the Earth with your away team and Seven.

Landing in the desert, you defeat groups of Ro'gaan that made it to the surface, and using the transporter on your runabout, beam into the lifeboat.

Can you create your own aliens to battle, or are you stuck fighting the delivered enemies

It's a large ship, that appears to be failing. over 30 percent of the samples onboard are already destroyed. You and Seven work to supplement the power of the ship. Once complete, a holographic message appears, of a Mozz, bequeathing you the future of their race.

Seven says the ship can't stay here, and you decide to beam the entire thing into your shuttle bay. You exit the ship, and it is beamed aboard. You and Seven part ways, and you head back to your ship. You arrive, and find yourself attacked by the Ro'gaan again, and you're force to destroy them all.

A program starts running without your permission. Seven's computer has uploaded a program to perform a slingshot to return you to your time.

You arrive, and sit in your ready room, researching the Ro'gaan. They are believed extinct, with no reliable reports of a sighting since the 20th century. You are then informed by your science officer that Starfleet has asked the Vulcans to take care of the Mozz. your science officer then informs you that there are two distinct species in the lifeboat, both Mozz and Ro'gaan.

You muse the Mozz are your kind of people, and you look forward to meeting them.

13. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    There are numerous spatial anomalies commonly used (by both Cryptic and Foundry authors) as wormholes. None of them look like the DS9 wormhole, which only occurs on the DS9 map, but since nobody has ever seen a wormhole, nobody knows if they're good wormholes or not. :)

I do not believe Iconian Obex ships are available.

You can create your own skins and put them on the aliens, to produce pretty much anything you like. Just pick an alien species that has the behaviors and weapons you want, and then stick another skin on it. I was in a mission the other day where the author spawned a bunch of fighters, and put Doomsday Machine skins on them. It was a holodeck thing. :)

However, your biggest obstacle here is going to be:

You cannot use Gary Seven. That actor's face appeared without heavily obscuring makeup effects, so you cannot use it without permission of the Robert Lansing estate; thus, it violates the Foundry EULA.

You can MENTION Gary Seven, and you can have text conversations with objects through which he is speaking, but you cannot depict his likeness.

The usual method of getting around this would be to interact with another agent from his organization. For instance, the above mentioned holodeck mission featured Barclay's daughter.

14. Vendikarr

What choices to I have for different looking ships? My aliens are not part of any existing faction, so I don't want them to look like they are using klingon or gorn or romulan ships.

This kind of hurts, because Gary Seven was my exposition character. According to TOS, he is the only one on Earth at this time who can provide the ship with the necessary information. There are no others of his organization here.

I suppose it could be done through a Beta 5 interface cube. Can I create a multi-colored cube?

15. syberghost

Some of the Orion and Gorn stuff is fairly generic, but all of it's used in game, and potentially familiar therefore to players. Using a skin from a lower-level enemy like that on a higher-level enemy ship is the best tactic for creating generic ships. NPC ships don't have any customization like player ships, either. They're lower rez models, since you see them at a distance.

You can't really create assets, only use the ones in the game. There's no central listing of all of them; nobody's been willing to put in the man-years necessary to create wiki pages for them all, there are thousands.

If you use a generic computer console and have players speak to something identifying itself as a Beta 5, they will accept it; but you will not be able to make it look like one.

Gary Seven may have been the only agent of his organization on Earth in 1969; perhaps in 1973 he isn't. Or perhaps Gary wasn't in the "need to know" loop for this operation. Or perhaps he recruited some local agents, who are interacting with you in his stead?

Foundry access only costs 10k Dil; that's less than two days worth, you can earn it pretty quickly.

16. Vendikarr

I like the back story of the Aegis and Gary Seven. If I can't use Seven, I don't need to set it on Earth.

My wormhole in the opening can lead to any other world, and an Aegis agent from that world can be my exposition character. Maybe my story can be called Assignment: Andoria?

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

There are some generic looking ships you can use. Only problem with them is, that they tend to not look very advanced.
    This is where suspension of disbelief comes in.
    Experiment with what you've got, you'll figure it out.

18. intrinsical

The foundry have a set of "Generic" faction ships. Most of these ships have a distinct look and have never been used (or at least very rarely) for any Cryptic missions. So unless the player has played a lot of foundry space missions, these ships should look sufficiently alien.

19. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'm starting work on my first Foundry mission, see if I can figure out how to get everything working. I'm not going to be making anything fancy, just hoping it's something playable :p

20. syberghost