Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JoeZhang, Apr 15, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, BFD says explosion, so not controlled. And they found nothing else yet.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

C, I'd use very strong language about the inhuman monsters that do these horrid acts. There were people at this trying to prove to themselves that they could do what they once considered impossible. And some psycho had to come out of the darkness and take it away from them.

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

Hey, it's not just my reaction, it was also the reaction of runners 30 feet from the blast. One girl looked over, saw the blast, and kept on jogging toward the finish line (as did most of them nearby) even as the runner beside her had a leg buckle from the blast debris. I'm pretty sure she also looked up at the clock, but it could've been something else.

The runners are highly focused! That's why they're runners, carrying on through wind and rain, trying to get to the finish line even knowing that half the deaths in a marathon occur during the final mile. In the Army people will keep jogging even as mortars and artillery rain down around them.

It doesn't make runners evil.

4. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While there is chaos downtown, it's controlled chaos. As I was walking to the train (getting the hell out of Dodge as I learned on 9/11), people were passing me with Mylar blankets and totally blank faces.

The JFK Library decision is being treated as related.

The Mayor was in the hospital with a broken leg. Probably he would have been in the midst of it at the finish line had he been well.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing at JFK might have been an unrelated fire, NBC is reporting.

If you are in the city, get the fuck home now.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

7. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NBC might be reporting that, but the police commissioner is treating it as an explosion. Getting out of Boston is not so easy, as every Commuter train heading south goes by Back Bay, where the explosion happened, and the subway is closed at Park. Also, internet and cell phone service is very spotty.

8. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm afraid attacks of this nature are not 'impossible', and you can't stop a madman; too many times have their been high-profile shooting sprees in the US or incidents involving explosives or where an area was evacuated and explosives were safely detonated. They are all small scale terror attacks in one way or another.

This heinous act though is an a much larger scale and it worries me on several counts: one it seems these bombs were hidden in trash cans and additional explosives have been found in different trash cans, two the coordination of the bombings and three how the US government will respond to the first major terrorist attack in home territory since 9/11.

9. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I think impossible referred to runners with injuries who never thought they'd do a marathon, not to the explosions.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ She was talking about the runners doing what they once considered impossible.

This is awful. Thank goodness the other bombs didn't go off. I'm not sure what the casualties are at JFK yet, but I hope this is over. Two people are dead and several others are critical. A lot of others are going to have their lives permanently changed, and not for the better.

Attacking people at a race. Insane. :(

Edit: Jim beat me to it.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're an open society. Unfortunately, these things will happen. :(
    Also, I'm glad to hear you're okay, RJ.

12. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

The entire cell network of the city area has been shut down by officials to prevent cellular remote detonation. Given reports of two other devices found that may suggest that they were cell phone triggered.

14. bigdaddy

I no longer get the Boston ABC station because of my local ABC station was an asshole and gets to have a monopoly on ABC in my area, starting just last week.

15. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Why this scares me: What if this event in Boston is a test run for something bigger?

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

We need to tighten security and quickly pass new laws then!

17. bigdaddy

JFK is NOT related.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

19. bigdaddy

You are more likely to die in a car crash getting back from work today than ever getting hurt or dead in an attack.

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That's exactly what I meant, guys. Glad you're here, RJ.

So many people who got hurt or were previously in bad physical shape come to the Boston Marathon to prove to themselves they could actually do something amazing like run 26 miles. To some people, it might not seem like much, but to people who have to fight to do it, it can be the world. And to see it taken away like that... it's sick.