Paramount and CBS teaming for TV production

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Temis the Vorta, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The issue isn't clarity, it's your choice of example. I don't think Enterprise is a good comparison here, because it came on the tail end of the last era of Trek on TV and film, when the franchise's performance was in decline. I chose TNG as my comparison because it's a closer analogy to the hypothetical situation we're talking about here -- the first new Trek series on TV in a number of years, following the strong success of a series of Trek motion pictures. (Because it stands to reason that our odds of getting a new Trek TV series are better if the next couple of Abrams movies perform comparably to the '09 film.)

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I don't agree and here's why: Babylon five and BSG both did direct to dvd movies that were aired on network tv every so often. If the next movie flops which I hope it does and so should everybody because then CBS might follow that pattern of putting out small tv movies out every so often on netflix or somewhere where the quality of the stories matter more than the wiz bang special effects explosions, unless you prefer that over quality story telling. Testing the waters in that way would more assuredly and effectively lead to the success of another series than totally bankrolling a singular vision of a singular team of idiots like Bad Robot and putting all your eggs in one vapid basket.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So far the evidence suggests ST09 was a boon for ST and it's associated merchandise. Its possible that STNG-R may not have had the final green light without the success of ST09. As of right now, the leading candidate for a new ST series is JJ Abrams and co, and Lindelof stated they were interested in producing one IF the next movie is a success. To which I say: I'm already awaiting the announcement.

4. xortex

So you're interested in Trek merchandizing more than great stories?

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm including getting STNG-R into stores...a huge undertaking and incredibly worthwhile. This has led to ENT getting the 1080p treatment, and likely other shows. Even if ST09 accomplished only that it would be a success.

ST09 is a great story, its the only ST movie to be nominated for a Writer's Guild Award, Nebula(Bradbury Award), Saturn, Hugo. It wouldn't have been nominated for its writing if it wasn't any good.

JJAbrams and CO have produced and written some excellent series on TV in the genre (Fringe, Lost, Person of Interest), so the track record is very good. Nothing would lead me to believe their ST TV show would be otherwise.

RAMA

6. xortex

Their writing is great, it's their ideas that suck. The high mind concept is still king. It's what differentiates Beethoven and Mozart from Salieri or do you listen to rap music?

7. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Lol.

"'High mind concept', Admiral?"
    "Yes. You'll see it in all the dramatists of the time - Roddenberry, Hurley, Piller..."
    "Ah. The giants."

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Either them or Kurtzman & Orci, who now have their own independent production company. There's been speculation that K&O could produce a Trek animated series, much as they've done with Transformers Prime.

Still, of all the producers who've thrown their hat into the ring as potential makers of a new Trek series, the ones I'd choose are Bryan Fuller & Bryan Singer. I bet they could come up with something really interesting.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

:shrug:
    Doesn't really change anything.

I really wouldn't be surprised if that's the route that's taken.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the next movie flops, neither Paramount nor CBS will bother to do anything with Star Trek on TV, Netflix etc. But since the next movie will not flop, this is a moot point.

The fact that Star Trek is in the good graces of the Viacom brass as a money-maker is the only reason for hope for a Star Trek series at all.

The people with the power to greenlight a series are. Do you really think they give a flip about "great stories"? They just want someone to convince them that a Star Trek TV series will make them a lot of money.

Realistically, the best argument is not money. Some cookie cutter cop show will deliver a better return on investment. The argument for Star Trek is that it's a great way for CBS to test out the waters of the future of TV, namely niche programming on subscription based streaming services.

It's an investment in the future, so it doesn't matter if it doesn't pay off right now. CBS is in a healthy financial position and can afford to experiment. And now is the time for experiments like this.

Otherwise, the TV business will be in the same boat as the music business was, with their business model suddenly destroyed while they stand around with their mouths open wondering what truck just ran over them. The lesson there should be obvious: if you are a content producer and technology is changing how people consume your content, you better be the one driving the truck.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

379. boborci - March 8, 2013 Phil Can’t comment on bad Robot tv plans.
    KO is currently in a tv deal at 20th and we’re shooting a pilot called “Sleepy Hollow” for Fox Network.
    who knows what next year will bring.