Oh No!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hey guys. :)

Over in the STXI thread about the official poster being released, I stuck in a few fake posters of my own. Of course they were spotted as fake right away, but I think they look pretty neat. :)

They were both to tease the Botany Bay model that I have been working on for about 3 months... and this makes the first model I finished since my son's been born. :D He sat here with me for quite a while when I was making this one. :)

Anyway, here are the posters!

[​IMG]

Larger: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/IntoDarknessPoster2_zpsd3611d5d.jpg

And the next one... I'm surprised they figured out where the helmet was from, so fast! It's from the movie Red Planet. :)

[​IMG]

Larger:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/IntoDarknessTeaser_zps915e7463.jpg

And, the Botany Bay! It even has lasers and missile launchers and everything! :)

[​IMG]

1920x1080: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/BotanyBayOhNo_zps2a520fbf.jpg

[​IMG]

1920x1080: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/BotanyBayOhNo2_zps14cfe571.jpg

So, what do y'all think? :)

-Ricky

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy sh*t. That Botany Bay looks amazing!!!

3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^Seconded!

*ETA* Do you have any other renders of that Romulan Warbird on your page? Orthos would be nice. Come to think of it, the BB could use a set as well... :D

4. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^Agreed. That Botany Bay is awesome.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

VERY nice design!!

6. MadMan1701A

I have some WIP images, but I only actually made one wallpaper with it, a long time ago! I should do more with that one.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, it's been a while since I looked at those. :D

-Ricky

7. MadMan1701A

Thanks!

You don't want to build be a model of it, do you? :)

-Ricky

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

If somebody made a kit, I'd definitely buy it and build it.
    It's not something I can manage myself, though - I really don't scratch-build, I just build kits or bash parts together.

9. librarytrekker78

librarytrekker78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Madman,

I've got to say that your version of the Botany Bay is absolutely frakin' AWESOME!!! Also, your versions of the Romulan Warbird/Bird-of-Prey and Constellation are pretty cool too!

10. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

The revisited Botany Bay looks brilliant Rick! :techman:

11. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Thanks Madman! As always your work lives up to a high standard!

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Are those escape/landing pods behind the command module?

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Sorry, first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title! :lol:

I agree that the BB looks amazing. I kinda miss the conning tower look, but it's at least acknowledged with your antenna farm. The only two things that bug me are the windows and the engine fairings. The windows seem a bit big, and it's visually scaling down the whole thing for me. And the fairings look way too clean compared to the rest of the ship, since there's not even any panel lines. But overall, if you're happy with it, I wouldn't change it! :techman:

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome New Botany Bay there :D

15. MadMan1701A

Thanks. :)

:)

:)

One day, 3D printers will be cheap enough to where I can print these things out. Then I can get you to paint it for me. :)

Indeed they are. :) Loosely based on the Dragon capsule. In my head I was thinking that they are about twice the size of Dragon.

Hehe. :)

The windows do look kind of big, but that whole area is about the size of the bridge windows on the new Enterprise... there's a good sized command deck in there. The window is probably about 3-4 feet tall?

My dirty texture didn't come out well on the engine fairings, but they do have a dirty painted thing going on. I may add panel lines later. I was trying to make each module look like it had been made by a different contractor.

Glad you guys like it. :) I have to do another one with Enterprise in it, next!

-Ricky

16. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm... To me, the Botany Bay without a conning tower is like the Enterprise without a saucer section -- it's too iconic to ditch.

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I agree with SonicRanger about the conning tower, I have to say that I'm in love with your redesigned Botany Bay. Those landing pods are magnificent, too. Nice homage.

18. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm almost a little surprised that your Botany Bay redesign has been taken as well to as she has, especially given that, canonically speaking, there is no reason that her design should have changed.

But if everyone else is okay with the redesign, then so am I.:)

19. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Hey Madman, one question: She seems a little small to be carrying 70 people plus all the gear they'd need to found a colony. Am I misjudging the scale wrong, because those landers look about Apollo-sized?

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In post #15 he says the pods are about twice the size of a Dragon capsule. Since the Dragon is designed to hold 7 people I am guessing these can hold at least 15 each.