Why did production on GENERATIONS start so soon after TNG?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by MakeshiftPython, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I misremembering, or do I seem to recall reading somewhere that the website for Star Trek: Generations was actually the first ever time that a movie studio had created a website specifically for the promotion of a movie? It happens all the time *now* of course, but I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that they were the first...

I don't doubt that it was still a niche market at that time, though.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this too. The interior sets of the Ent-D looked like shit (the worst offender being Riker walking out of Picard's ready room into pitch blackness). But we can all say that "I wish Generations had come out a year or two or three after TNG ended," but that wasn't Paramount's plan. They gave three TV producers the reigns to make a feature film, they wanted it done yesterday, and they wanted all kinds of specific things done in the film (Kirk MUST die, the Enterprise MUST be destroyed, etc.) To top it all off, dumb decisions were made by people like Jeri Taylor that resulted in a lot of the budget being spent on a pointless holodeck scene, most of the other budget on a pointless stellar cartography scene which was just an attempt to show some "cool," and Shatner's and McDowell's exorbitant salaries.

Yes, the set factor and the intermediate period between TNG and VOY definitely had something to do with the timing of the film, but those weren't the only factors contributing to its mediocre performance.

Well, if they took my advice, then they would have used the Enterprise-A at its decommissioning ceremony instead of the Ent-B. Both Kirk and the ship would have disappeared into the Nexus, only to have Kirk fly it out in the 24th century to save the Ent-D from crashing onto Veridian III ;)

But again, that's not what they wanted.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Nope. It won't. IF TNG's rating were falling when it was cancelled, you might have a point; but they were following a formula pioneered by 'Batman' (that series first season was so popular with kids, they did and released the 1967 feature film from the series over the summer hiatus and made a bundle.

Since TNG was ending on a high note; they figured they'd get every TNG fan (plus the casual audience) into the theatres before TNG started fade from memory from all but the die hard Trek fans.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I always assumed that was just a stylistic choice between the Carson and Alsonzo. I actually prefer how it looks in this film compared to how Rush shot TNG. My favorite being Ten Forward, with the sunlight shining through the windows. It was nice to see the Enterprise D given a much more cinematic look, only rivaled by Rush's great work in "Yesterday's Enterprise".

I seriously doubt that, considering that TNG reruns were airing regularly throughout the 90s. It wasn't losing audiences until the quality had sunk so low with INSURRECTION and then NEMESIS being the death knell. In a way, I'm surprised more turned up for FIRST CONTACT, given how GENERATIONS is generally agreed as a disappointment.

5. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Generations made me literally ashamed of being a fan.

We went to see it, me (trekker), my gf (trekker), my friend (trekker) and his new gf (non-trekker wanting to know what was all that fuzz about).

She must have thought we were 3 idiots.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was mid '96 when I got a computer and went online, so I missed that. But what eventually became startrek.com started out as a pay site. That was disappointing. ;)

7. Lance

Confirmed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Generations#Reception

8. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

IMO enough time had passed since TUC. Given that GEN was billed as a captain-crossover, Paramount wanted to make sure Original-Crew fans retained interest and bought tickets.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think so. TOS fans had been reliably buying tickets for fifteen-years at that point. I don't think waiting another year would've affected that in the slightest.

10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

GENERATIONS, no matter when it was released, was guaranteed to put butts in seats because of the Kirk/Picard team up alone. Had it been a better movie, I think it would have done much more impressive box office run than simply doing the same business that TUC did, successful at the box office, but nothing to sneeze at.

11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think Generations could have been saved by a 10 minute long choreographed fist fight between the two captains.

12. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I thought the interior of the Enterprise D translated superbly to the big screen it looked far more polished and luxurious than the crappy made for TV Enterprise E interior sets, probably down to the excellent cinematography in Generations.

Horses for courses I guess...

13. Lance

On the collapsing bridge. While Soren watches, with a perplexed "What's up with these guys?" look on his face. :D
    Yeah, never really understood where the whole 'Ent-D sets weren't good enough for cinema' comment was coming from. Especially given many of the sets migrated from the movies in the first place! :) I too preferred what was done with them in GENS to the bland, uninteresting, generic sci-fi-channel-movie-of-the-week feel I always get from the Ent-E sets. ;)

14. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's sarcasm...... right?!?!

15. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

wasn't the biggest reason conservation of time and resources? Weren't both "All Good Things" and Generations being produced at the same time? All hands on deck and all that...

16. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Production on Generations involving the TNG cast commenced just days after filming wrapped on "All Good Things...", although the Enterprise-B sequences involving Shatner, et al, had been shooting for a few weeks prior to this already.

So yep -- you could pretty much almost refer to them as a single, continuous production, apart from the differences in shooting-crew (the TV crew on the finale, versus the feature-film crew behind the scenes on Generations).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  17. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

If u listen to the writers commentary they say because they were writing the script for both generations and all good things they couldn't remember what happens to the characters,think it would of that been better if someone else wrote generations or waited a year to do the movie and give the cast and crew time to relax and prepare for the big screen.

18. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Trek in the 90s was like the Marvel movies of today..rolling em off the conveyor belt as quickly as possible:lol:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

No

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, compared to Marvel today, 90s Trek showed remarkable restraint. Boy, when Marvel burns out, they're going to fall hard.