Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The state of Vulcan might make a difference, but it wouldn't make a "huge" difference. The overwhelming majority of episodes managed to to make it from teaser to closing credits without depending upon the existence of Vulcan in any way shape or form.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^It's a significant difference. If an episode of a 25th century series has a man walking on Vulcan, it's the Prime timeline, and if they refer to that time Nero imploded Vulcan, it's Abramsverse. I'm not saying they have to show or talk about Vulcan but if either are mentioned, it would tip the continuity either way.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if they brought back the same people involved in TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. Different producers (which is a certainty) would make a show with a different "feel" - just as TNG had a very different feel to TOS.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I'm all for that.

5. CorporalCaptain

There isn't a single TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, or VOY episode with scenes on Vulcan that couldn't have been set in the JJverse with at most only minor alterations. Or, if there is, I can't think of what it would be. ENT is already in the JJverse.

Even Amok Time could have easily been transplanted to New Vulcan. The line about the wedding site having been in Spock's family for generations was a throwaway line. Nothing depended upon it. Yesteryear took place when Spock was a child, and we know that Vulcan still existed then. The TNG episodes where the Enterprise-D went to Vulcan didn't depend upon the planet actually being Vulcan. Not even Amanda had to be there. Arguably, the episode that takes the greatest hit (over Vulcan-related issues) is Journey to Babel, but only because Amanda wouldn't have been there. But losing one episode in hundreds (or heavily rewriting it) is hardly what one can call significant.

The fact that hypothetical 25th century stories might be altered is of no significant consequence to anything we've already seen in canon continuity set in the Prime Universe.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whether the Kronos in a future Trek is the place where Worf was kidnapped by the Duras sisters or where Khan single handedly took down four Klingon birds of prey and their crews, doesn't really matter to me. Either is fine - just like the ENT Augment trilogy works as well as a prequel to Space Seed/Wrath of Khan as it does to Into Darkness.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This time in JJ-ourney to Babel it's a very young Perrin or perhaps her mother? At Sarek's side.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

With minor alterations, Star Trek could be a prequel to Star Wars.;)

9. teacake

So what kind of shit hit what fan to lose all contact with earth? OR is this the way outer rim fringes?

10. CorporalCaptain

Yeah.

I claimed Journey to Babel might need heavy rewriting, due to Amanda's absence, but that's probably an exaggeration. I've got it: Uhura slaps Spock. There, I did it. :)

Even Spock placing his duty to the ship above his duty to his father, because he thinks it's the right thing to do, and not to mention what his father expects of him, that doesn't seem out of character for nuSpock. :shrug:

Not that I expect the JJverse to engage in a replay of all the old episodes. That's not what I'm proposing. I'm simply saying that, with respect to the Prime Universe stories we've already seen in canon, transplanting them to the JJverse doesn't seem insurmountable. With respect to the kinds of adventures Star Trek has had in canon, the differences between the Prime Universe and the JJverse, as a setting for those adventures, aren't as major as some fans like to claim. Nor do the nucharacters appear to be warped beyond recognition.

The more I think about nuTrek, the more I like it, because the more it makes sense.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    IF I find the other reference to this, I promise to post it. If the person's name isn't given, I can't conjure it up.

"Captain Kirk had a temporal procedure and now he's a younger guy with a different personality." Well, it doesn't work for me, but evidently it works for some people. :rolleyes:

Star Wars happened "a long time ago in a galaxy far away" (or somesuch). That doesn't sound like "fairly close to Earth, 200 years from now".

Except nuUhura would whine about it, and make it all about her. Why would she care if nuSarek died?

12. CorporalCaptain

Oh, gods, you're kidding, right?

13. Timewalker

Based on what I've seen of nuUhura, she goes from competent communications officer to whiny sitcom character at the drop of the proverbial hat.

14. teacake

Or knickers.

15. CorporalCaptain

Do the minidress uniform knickers match the color of the dress, as in the Prime Universe?

16. Timewalker

Judging by nuCarol's underwear scene, yes.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They're a little time travel and a wormhole away from being part of what formed the Old Republic in that galaxy far away.

18. teacake

SEE! Utilitarian! And yet still people complain.

19. teacake

JJ's the man for the job.

Forget crossovers, this will be seamless.

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

We should vote JJ for president.:barf:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.