Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. David Henderson

David Henderson Commodore Commodore

Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

It was no clue to me, because I'd never heard the name "Tenmei" before.

I thought her name seemed somewhat Bajoranic, so I initially thought she was a Bajoran. In fact, at the end of Avatar, Book Two, I remember feeling surprised that Vaughn had had a Bajoran wife (mistress/lover/whatever), and wondering why he hadn't looked either her or Prynn up when he came to Bajor. I'm not sure whether I simply overlooked a mention of Prynn being Human in Avatar somewhere, or whether S.D. Perry omitted any reference to her species at all, and my mind filled in the gaps incorrectly.

davidh

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Still, there's the cover art featurin' Prynn on the fourth Mission: Gamma novel, though she doesn't really look Asian. Or maybe it was just me...

And, stupid question - would a black actor / actress be able to be "blue-ed" properly to play an Andorian?

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I have one question - who the hell is Suzie Plakson?

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ She has played four different Trek roles: Dr. Selar in TNG's "The Schizoid Man," K'Ehleyr in TNG's "The Emissary" and "Reunion," the female Q in Voyager's "The Q and the Grey," and Tarah in Enterprise's "Cease Fire."

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

ooh... Selar and K'Ehleyr were played by the same woman? Wow!

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

EDIT: Never mind, KRAD already answered it.

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bowers is black?

OK, here's my problem. I've read so many TOS books years ago I think I just got into the groove of not paying a lot of attention to the characters descrptions. I mean after all, how many times do I need to read a description of Spock?

So unless they point out something like Bowers being black or Tenmai is asian, etc in every paragraph that's a detail I'm probably going to miss. :) And that's cool since it rarely matters to the story, and that's the way it should be.

8. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I wish they'd Sticky these casting call threads, or collect them all somehow. By the time I get to these books, this thread will be long buried. :(

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

OMG! which shows have you been watching?? she's, like, the female jeff coombs!

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not a makeup expert, but I would presume so. I would guess that they might have to apply a lighter base color to the actors before applying the new color, though.

J. August Richards would work pretty well as Bowers.

I always pictured Sean Maher (of Firefly fame) as Vedek Yevir.

Stockard Channing as Councillor zh'Thane? Works for me!

Now. What do we do about Councillors T'Latrek and Bera chim Gleer...?

11. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw Suzie Plakson at the ST experiance in December. She was signing photo's. I was going to splurge and pick one up, maybe to, one addressed to my girlfriend saying something like "I'm sorry you don't like Star Trek, Suzie". But right then my girlfriend called and said she had lost $175 (meaning she had found the 3 handed poker table she was looking for while I went on the rides), so I decided we had splurged enough and left. :lol: Even though I'm normally totally uninterested in actores photo's I wished I had gotten one of her as the Andorian.

Oh and at the next table, Richard Arnold. I have no idea what he was doing there but no one was talking to him. Hey, you're sitting next to Suzie Plakson, what do you expect?

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Gleer, the way I wrote him at least, was patterned to some extent after Senator Bob Rumson, as played by Richard Dreyfuss in The American President, so that might work.

As for T'Latrek, I was thinking Dame Judi Dench.

While we're doing councillors, Matthew Mazibuko was always intended to be played by Zakes Mokae. :)

13. tatterdemallion

tatterdemallion Commander Red Shirt

Wassim - Tamara Tunie
    Prynn - Jessica Jimenez

Everyone else is either character actors I don't know the names of, cover art, or amalgamations of different people.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I Liked J. August Richards as Bowers until...
    **(Very minor "Warpath" spoiler. Not really worth blacking out, but be warned anyway.)**

... Warpath described him as a twenty year Starfleet veteran. Now I think Richards is too young.

15. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I prefer to imagine D.B. Woodside as Bowers, but that's just my opinion.

16. Haval_Runa

Haval_Runa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm... that does change things... 20 year veteran and still a lieutenant? Interesting. Wonder how he feels about someone like Nog hitting Lieutenant (J.G.) without ever graduating the Academy.

For a 20 year vet, someone along the lines of Jesse L. Martin, or perhaps Phil Morris?

17. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

I'm going to sticky this thread, since it comes up so often. We can use this as a catch-all.

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Maybe. I dunno. I kinda got the impression that Gleer's supposed to be just a bit more likeable than that -- the sort of likeable asshole kind of character. Sen. Rumson from The American President wasn't a likeable asshole, he was just an asshole.

Score!

I can see that. Though I'm also kinda picturing James Earl Jones and/or Dennis Haysbert.

I like the D.B. Woodside as Bowers. He's young enough, and we can buy him as a twenty-year vet.

19. Haval_Runa

Haval_Runa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Woohoo! My first post winds up stickied!

*Regains composure* Ahem. Cool.

And for other characters -- anyone have any ideas for Ranul Keru? I can't think of an actor who matches his description, though growing a beard wouldn't be a big deal for the right money ;-).

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

James Brolin for Vaughn:

[​IMG]