DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

TekWar on Laserdisc, you are hardcore old school!

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And 3.) Some people don't want to pay to only rent their movies and TV. That's my reason, at least. I do stream, but I buy anything I really enjoy on DVD or Blu.

BillJ likes this.
  3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Many shows and movies aren't available at all on the streaming services.

Kor

BillJ likes this.
  4. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since this is the DS9 thread. . .

[​IMG]

5. Kor

I remember LaserDisc well, and the outrageous prices for each disc.

Even if blu ray is "this generation's LaserDisc" as some are claiming, at least the movies and players are a lot more affordable, the technology isn't so clunky, and it will take longer to become obsolete, IMO.

Kor

BillJ likes this.
  6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I don't really remember laser disc. According to Wikipedia, I was alive when they were around, but I have never seen one IRL. Could you walk in a regular department store, like Wal-Mart, and see rows and rows of laser disc offerings, like you can with Blu-Ray today? Just anecdotally, Blu-Ray doesn't appear to be anywhere as niche as laser disc apparently was.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

LaserDiscs were always considered a niche item, and no, they weren't sold everywhere. You had to go to large video stores, or special LaserDisc retailers. Or mail order.

8. Kor

Yes, this really negates the idea that blu ray is "today's LaserDisc."

Blu ray discs are ubiquitous and available just about everywhere; not just at video stores, but Toys R Us, Walmart and Target, and even grocery stores that have a video section.

Kor

9. Admiral Bear

Back in the days of VHS and the 9+ month wait between UK cinema release and home rental, I would get my early Laserdiscs mail ordered from Ken Crane's in the US which I think later became DVD Planet. My first Laserdisc was Star Trek: First Contact, NTSC. I was over the moon. Had it about 4 months before the UK VHS came out. And the happy days of getting my hands on Face/Off 6 weeks after it's UK cinema release.

Those were the days. Now everyone's got HD. It's no fun anymore when everyone has the best toys.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Pretty much the same here. I had The Frighteners on Laserdisc before it even came out in Aussie cinemas. (Stupid Aussie release was mega-delayed.) I still have a bunch of TNG and DS9 on LD.

11. Admiral Bear

If I was going to Vegas, I'd be tempted to take an TNG laserdisc jacket and get it signed by most of the cast, then have it and the disc framed and matted like an LP gold disc.

I know I've got All Good Things on LD somewhere.

12. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I just measured 1.3 Mbps download, 0.73 Mbps upload. Scarcely worthy of the name broadband. Instead of investing in better broadband, Centurylink would rather invest in sending glossy mailers to every household twice a week about how much money they could save by getting cable along with internet for $100 a month.

13. apathy73

apathy73 Ensign Newbie

save me from trawling through 2500+ replies, is there any news on a release date for DS9 on Blu-Ray? Just on my re-watch of TNG & awaiting delivery of my Enterprise Blu-Ray...just need Voyager & DS9 for the set.

Any info would be great.

14. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's not going to happen. As far as we know, we'll never be able to complete our sets because DS9 and Voyager are not likely to ever be in HD.

apathy73 and Shalashaska like this.
  15. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it's smart to go buying TOS or TNG on Blu-ray at this point, unless you never plan to upgrade from HD.

Both are primed for 4K UHD. CBS made sure to future proof TOS and TNG by scanning them at 2K (they can then be scaled up to 4K). I'm just going to stick with Netflix until their eventual 4K release.

As for DS9, VOY, ENT they were all either scanned at 480p or 1080p. Unless CBS wants to go through a very expensive and lengthy remastering process for all three, which is HIGHLY unlikely, your best bet would probably be to just buy them on DVD/Blu-ray. They'll be your best options for who knows how long.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It'll be years before either TOS or TNG make it to UHD. The UHD format is probably going to be far more of a niche product than Blu-ray is. Especially considering there are going to be three different physical formats competing for dwindling dollars.

And I don't see how scanning it at 2K (1080p) future proofs these shows? Scanning it at 8K would've done that.

IronWaffle likes this.
  17. Shalashaska

Blu-ray is not a niche product, neither will 4K UHD be (or whatever 4K format reigns supreme).

It future proofs it because, despite the name, about 50% of 4K UHD releases will actually be taken from 2K sources due to the cost of 4K scanning technology. Yes it doesn't future proof it until the end of time, then it would have been scanned in 64K VR or whatever people will be watching it on in 100 years.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yes it is.

Techies, enthusiasts and gamers all take it for granted, but it's market penetration is quite limited. DVD will remain the dominant physical format until straming replaces discs completely. Almost every house can play DVD's - most of them onto HD TV's without worrying (or realising) that they're not watching HD.

Lots of stuff available on DVD will never be released on Bluray - I know, I'm still having to purchase DVD's - reluctantly, but there's no alternative.

With regard to upgrading, the complete Bluray boxes have only just come down to the £50 (or less) I'll pay, so unless UHD dies on its arse (which it may well - Bluray might be the last physical release for the Trek shows), it'll be a good few years before I'm tempted.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  19. Shalashaska

Just because it's not as popular as DVD doesn't mean it's niche. Many have moved on to Blu-ray, you can find them being sold in shops everywhere.

Yes, DVD will reign supreme in terms of mass popularity, but Blu-ray is definitely not a "niche" product.

20. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

UHD is catching on gradually, as more people buy monitors that can make the resolution worth having. That doesn't make it a niche product.