Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Albertese, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By that logic, Obama is the best hand-to-hand fighter in the world. After all, he is at the head of the most powerful military in the world.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I sure wouldn't want to fight him.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Because they're usually better/more experienced than the rank and file, but still not as good as other members of the Council, such as Yoda with his even greater experience?

But I don't think that was a reflection of Force attunement. He just noticed that instead of following him on his charge, they got ready to shoot him.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Luke was so Freaked out, so much snot and huddled rocking, that Obiwan took him to one side and Jedi Mindtricked him calm?

Ben could have Manchurian Candidated the frakk out of that kid.

Child abuse?

"I was knitting together his fractured psyche."

"No, you raped him in the mind."

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's also worth pointing out that not all Force abilities are based around fighting. Maybe he has really good precognitive abilities or is skilled at battle meditation.

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your point is illogical. Unlike the president, a Jedi Council member is an active user/participant, and is called on to use his various supernatural abilities, which they are all tested before becoming a knight, then master. The president has no such measuring stick, as each who ever held that title had no measured standard for power, skill or competency. Ultimately, their ability to get that job is based on the whim of voters, mass manipulation and a pile of money.

So again, the Jedi Coucil members should be expected to be more than cardboard cutouts for Sidious to cut down.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

A pretty good implicit argument that not all Jedi Council masters are terrific fighters could have been made if, say, one of the members was shown to not use a lightsaber... say, one of the smaller, greener ones... one that Roger Ebert would opine that using one would be "totally out of character"...

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Are the council members chosen because they are good fighters, or because they are wise?

10. Set Harth

Oh, Ebert... :lol:

Somewhere a circus is missing its clown.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they are chosen due to mastering all parts of the Jedi discipline, not just one.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The implication is that every Jedi is supposed to be a skilled swordsman. Hell, Yoda is slow moving and needs a cane to walk, but can kick ass with a lightsabre and is apparentally considered the best Jedi swordsman ("If you spent as much time studying sabre technique as you do speeders you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.")

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because they had to be skilled when they were younger doesn't mean they're still skilled today. Some of them like Yoda and Windu keep in shape, but others are just ex-beat cops who have been behind the desk too long.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Ki-Adi-Mundi was of the Cerean species, a race that had - I believe - two different brains within their cranium which accounts for the tall, elongated shape of his head. Cereans are supposed to possess rather powerful intuitive and psychic skills due to their unusual cerebral construction so perhaps he was able to sense something awry and dangerous was happening to his Clones that other Jedi from other species couldn't?

Yoda seemed to be the only other Jedi who sensed something was up and promptly saved his own hide with his lightsaber. Obi-Wan would have been dead had Commander Cody's cannon blast impacted any closer to him than it did, so we know Obi-Wan wasn't aware of anything going on.

15. Set Harth

In Yoda's case, it seems that for some reason he had time to feel the other deaths through the Force before he was attacked. But this didn't seem to apply to any other Jedi that we know of. :shrug:

16. cooleddie74

It's difficult to say for sure from the movie footage, but blue-skinned Aayla Secura might have sensed something awful about to happen in the handful of moments before her Clones cut her down on the exotic fungus planet Felucia.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To be fair, I think it was bad, convenient directing from Lucas ;)

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The Clones should've tried to sleep with her instead of kill her. Dummies.

19. cooleddie74

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to George's directing chops between 1976 and 1997 when Episode I cameras began rolling. The guy got pretty terrific performances out of the casts of the original movie as well as American Graffiti, then by the time the prequels rolled around a little over two decades later it seems the man forgot almost everything he knew about crafting likable, exciting characters that the audience could relate to.

Compare Richard Dreyfuss in 1973 to Liam Neeson in 1997 or Natalie Portman in 2003. It's almost as if two completely different men were directing those movies but....nope. Same dude in button-up shirts and flannel.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It's obvious. The flannel is a living creature. It's consumed his brain.