What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Feb 25, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Other opinions are so funny.

Voyage Home definitely tried to distance itself from being a Star Trek movie to attract a wider audience. It was a smart business movie but I prefer the more sci-fi orientated films. I watch Star Trek to escape.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

After two emotionally heavy movies, it made sense to switch gears and offer a "change of pace" film.

Your opinions are funny, so often laced with disrespect for those around you because they have differing tastes.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

no drive or purpose? What does that mean? What great purpose does Insurrection have that Generations lacks? boob and pimple jokes?

4. DalekJim

Insurrection had a story, a conflict and central dilemma. Generations seemed pretty... random in structure and concept. Insurrection had a very muddled purpose but Generations didn't have one at all.

I've done nothing wrong this time at all and won't even reply to your further attempts to engineer conflict for entertainment.

5. sonak

Generations had a central story- Dr. Soran trying to get to the Nexus

yeah, there is a bit of "stuff sort of thrown in" to the movie, but there's also glue holding it together. To each their own, I just think that Generations is light-years ahead of Insurrection.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Insurrection suffers from the fact that the subject material and the way it's presented really don't mesh very well. Though I think an unpolished turd is light-years ahead of it.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And a purpose, too - to effect the galactic awesomeness of a Kirk/Picard team-up without employing anything as obvious or dull as conventional time travel.

FC was a lesser reprise of TBOTW. Insurrection and Nemesis were unmemorable one-off stories. But Generations... now that's a movie. :bolian:

8. DalekJim

First Contact is nothing like Best of Both Worlds. Best of Both Worlds was a large scale epic. First Contact is Die Hard on the Enterprise with a time travel B-Plot.

Slightly more interesting than 3 old farts pissing about with a bridge for ages.

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For a minute there I misread that as "Three old farts pissing on a bridge". And I thought, 'is this a deleted scene I wasn't previously aware of?'. :D

10. DalekJim

That movie would have been a box office smash!

Generations remains the only film of the original 10 I can't warm to. I really like the intro sequence with the Enterprise-B and a few of Picard's scenes in the early stages of the movie but as soon as Picard is beamed down to the planet I zone out and the movie just gets duller and more absurd. It features the least dramatic final act I've ever seen. And we have to sit through it twice :lol:.

It's a film that was obviously rushed out. First Contact gets right everything Generations got wrong. Insurrection is flawed but gets my respect for feeling like a TNG episode and is very well directed. Nemesis is just mediocre. I don't passionately enjoy it or hate it, it's just kinda there.

11. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

My feelings exactly. Insurrection gets a lot more dislike aimed at it then it deserves IMO.:)

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I just saw an Insurrection Trailer with glowing reviews on it and it's promoted as the action hit of the year!

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I agree. There's something terribly schizophrenic about the whole movie IMO. The mismatched uniforms are almost a visual symptom of the entire production. It's like they're jumping this way or that, but can't make up their minds where to go with it beyond saying "Let's get Captains Kirk and Picard together! Fuck yeah!". But they even make a hash of that. :alienblush:

On some level I love that the TNG segments actually feel properly like TNG. I love the cinematography too, John Alonzo done a terrific job. Everything else I'm hot and cold on.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I prefer Generations to Trek V - The Final Frontier, but not by much. Its deeply rotten.

15. sonak

indeed, what's not to like about a movie whose tagline could have been "thrills as we watch the crew of the Enterprise make sure that the hippie lifestyle of 600 people is preserved?"

You know, even if you take away whether you agree or not with Picard in the film, it's just not a fundamentally interesting premise and the movie is slow and the humor is lame.

16. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A big problem was that immediately after they shot TNG's finale "All Good Things...", they went straight into shooting the Generations. So that's why it feels so rushed, because it was.

17. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Nemesis was a pretty big disappointment. It had so much potential but was [explicative].

18. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Picard and others are out of character in the movies. I didn't care for that.

19. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Trek movies never seem to work out too well when tackling weighty scifi themes. We had VGer trying to understand its creators in the motionless picture. Then the quest for God in Final Frontier (which I liked but I realise I'm in a minority).

The greatest successes meanwhile are a submarine thriller and Die Hard With the Borg. Oh and the reboot which is kinda thin on plot really.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. sonak

yep, I've always thought this was ironic-the two most "pure" sci-fi concept movies, TMP and TFF(and the two most like a TOS episode as well) are among the most poorly regarded of the film series.