Spoilers TOS: Cast No Shadow by James Swallow Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Rate Cast No Shadow.

1. Outstanding

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Above Average

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. aaon80

aaon80 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Cast No Shadow Review Thread

Actually, this is exactly why I am so enthused about this book (just started it this morning). I like the occasional look at some part of the Trek universe that is often forgotten or unexplored. I guess that is why the "Lost Years," "Lost Era," and "Ex Machina" appeal to me as well, filling in gaps, and rounding out characters, even minor ones.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually tend to be less critical about tie-in fiction than original fiction because of the limitations of the form so when I say it's average, I mean it's average against other Star Trek books.

My biggest problem with the book, as mentioned above, is how clichéd Valeris's motivation is - it relies on not one but two over-used concepts within fiction - that of
    the childhood trauma and father issues
    . It's all makes perfect sense but it's been used so many times in the past, it's just retreading old ground. I can understand why those choices were made as it allows the character to move towards some form of redemption but truthfully it would have been fresher if the writer had moved the character in a different direction where she didn't give a shit about redemption.

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I have my 1st edition ePub.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know what that means. Plenty of Trek novels have revisited concepts or themes from episodes/films made decades earlier. Ex Machina came out a quarter-century after ST:TMP, but I never heard anyone say it wasn't "timely." And my next novel will be revisiting that era, seven and a third years after Ex Machina came out.

It's only been a bit over three years since the last Lost Era novel.

5. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sweet! I hope we get to see Spring Rain on Still Water. I loved that character so much!

6. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has it REALLY only been 3 years since the last Lost Era book? If so, why wasn't this printed under that banner?

I'll watch this thread, if it gets enough enthusiast comments, I'll buy the book.

7. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Terok Nor was a Lost Era three-part series, and it was published in April-June 2008.

8. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure I would go so far as to say she cared super-deeply about redemption; IMO:
    her final scene in the book kinda kills a part of that percieved justification away.

However, I have my own thoughts about how this matter, and I do plan to write about them, to an extent, in my review at TrekMovie.

I enjoyed the book, given the look into the long lost-era between the TOS era and the TNG era... but the more I think about it, the more critical my thinking gets, especially over the closing 100 or so pages.

Rob+

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Probably because it's been two and a half years since Marco Palmieri was laid off. The Lost Era was his project. Whoever edited Cast No Shadow evidently didn't choose to continue using that banner title.

10. JoeZhang

Look forward to reading the review. The more I think about it, another problem I have with the book (and this is my own bias not necessary a problem for other readers) is that in their current form, Klingons are pretty much played out and that adds to the rather generic feel of the book. It will be interesting to see if the movies takes them in a different cultural direction than we have seen over the last 25 years.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to disagree with you here. One of the things I've loved about Trek Lit is the fact that they do tend to jump around in the timeline alot.
    I saw quite a few people post about how much they were looking forward to the book before it came out, and it was certainly one of my most anticipated books of the year. As for it coming "out of nowhere", I don't really see where it's any more "out of nowhere" than books like Watching the Clock, or Indistinguishable From Magic.

12. FatherRob

I actually find myself curious about how a Kitumba-style Klingon Empire would have worked out long term. I'll be curious to see how much retconning Phase II does with Kitumba when they produce that script.

I do agree, though, about the Klingons. Only KRAD's Klingon Empire series makes them tolerable for me (but I must agree, I likey his stories!). I really enjoyed Pawns and Symbols... an interesting Klingon journey!

Rob+

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got my copy, and it is next after Vanguard Declassified is finished(about half way through it).

14. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Swallow's Titan novel Synthesis was great. Might have to pick this one up...

15. FatherRob

FWIW - My review is now up at trekmovie.com.

Rob+

16. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did LOVE Synthesis and am looking forward to more White-Blue.

17. JoeZhang

Good stuff - this bit:

is pretty much the heart of the problems with the book - we *know* the Federation-Klingon alliance works out because we've seen it but the characters don't or shouldn't - and a character who decides via (faulty) logic that this is the best cause of action and is still convinced of that would be more interesting (and from our vantage point, tragic) than the motivation we got. I think the back-story we get here makes the character less rather than more interesting.

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

It is a bit tiresome to see the stereotypical idiot Klingon who puts his or her personal advancement before honor and what is "right".

But the book overall seemed to be telling a personal story about Valeris, tying in her journey to the overall plot.

I think that Swallow's handling of the forced mindmeld at the end of Star Trek:VI redeems any "stereotype" issues in the novel.

19. JoeZhang

I thought the 'resolution' of that was contrived to be honest.

20. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

A lot of John M. Ford and FASA bits in the Klingons' characterization and equipment, though not mentioned in the Acknowledgments.